1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Younger taps on February 1st

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by broodog, Jan 20, 2013.

1. broodog

broodog Savant (360) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

2. I will be there! not sure which day yet. probably some time during the week after its out. Hopefully returning with many Sours.

3. I thought they didn't give the option of growlers since some people tried to make money on them via ebay.
    It would be cool if they changed this policy since they restricted the sale of alcohol on ebay.

Anybody comment on this?

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  4. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

InVinoVeritas likes this.
  5. They dont allow growlers.

6. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (395) California Nov 7, 2011

Nah, the growlers were a no go last year. Will definitely be there early in the day on like a Thursday or Wednesday. Seemed to be a good time to fight the crowd.

7. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (455) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

everytime i see mention of the younger i get reminded of these.

8. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

No growlers of Younger but most others yes. Made the trek last two years will be there this year too first Wednesday.
    It's worth the trip but might be the last for Younger. The rest of the lineup is just as much fun and I'm thinking if I go once a year I'd rather go for a release of Beatification than Younger.

od_sf likes this.
  9. Isn't there a bar in Los Angeles PtY? I think the bar is located somewhere down Santa Monica Blvd.

Anyways, if they don't have it. How long does RR have PtY on tap?

10. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

None of the LA/OC area bars will have pty till mid Feb and beyond. Prob the last two weeks in Feb. And it'll be limited # of bars. RRBC will have it on tap from Feb 1-17. That'll be it till next year. There are a few bars that are auctioning off raffle for a full pour of Younger.

11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

RRBC is Feb 1 - 14.

SD will be around Feb 8. Why would LA/OC be late Feb?

12. Surly Goat, Blue Palms, Verdugo, Tony's Darts, Mohawk Bend and both Father's Office locations all had it last year. Beachwood and Library Alehouse also had it, but did a raffle system. There were probably some other places I'm missing too.

13. Nope that's it, that is all of them.

14. Nope, Haven had it too.

15. dcgunman

Hollingshead Deli and Tustin Brewing should be getting it in also.
    Late Feb meaning the last two weeks in Feb.
    Beachwood SB & LB has a raffle system:

−Raffle Tickets will be on sale Jan. 15th at 11:30am through February 15th at 10pm. Tickets will be available for purchase at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach and Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in downtown Long Beach.

−The cost is $5 per ticket – no limit to how many you can buy . CASH ONLY

−We will be able to serve 130 pints.

−On 2/18/13, 130 raffle tickets will be drawn at random. The drawing will be streamed live on the New Brew Thursday webcast, winners will also be notified via email or phone.

−Winners will have ten days to redeem their pints of Pliny the Younger to preserve the freshness of the beer. Cheers!

So at least at Beachwood it will be available to the winners of the raffle the last part of Feb.

16. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

A lot of other places are late Feb and it doesn't really make sense. Multiple places in Oregon got it last year in mid Feb but didn't tap until the end of the month (like Platypus in Bend.) They were just sitting on the keg for two weeks. It's a damn shame.

17. Stone is the Russian River distributor for the Los Angeles area. Not totally sure, but I think it gets shipped all the way down to SD, then has to make it's way back up to LA. That would explain why it hits SD first.

18. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Let the mass hysteria begin! Dogs living with cats!

19. Great. Tony's, Mohawk, and BluePalms all are failrly close to me. Can't wait to get some.

A raffle for a pint of beer? Seriously. I like beer and all, but having to buy tickets for a raffle to try a pint of beer is kinda ridiculous.

JBogan likes this.
  20. So is driving hundreds of miles and paying for a hotel room so you can stand in line for one.

21. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

PtY is good enough that I will wait maybe 2 minutes in line for it. Worth a drive to the local pub at least.

22. Just realized it was already posted. Oh well.

nabeshin likes this.
  23. So bummed...scheduled to be in Santa Rosa on the 31st leaving early the next day. Wonder how big of a bribe it would take to get one of the servers to pull me a pint a day early? Anything less than the $150 Delta flight change fee may be a good deal.

24. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

The Beachwood & Library raffles are both for charity, and depending upon one's priorities/personality, buying a few raffle tickets for the opportunity to enjoy a leisurely pint of Younger at the time of your choosing minus extreme crowds could be a much more attractive option than lining up several hours ahead of time for an 8oz pour.

25. No. Boneyard Bistro had it too. No hype, no raffles, no lines, nothing. Best way to enjoy any beer.

26. Pizza Port Carlsbad had it mid-week last year. They tweeted it out that it was on tap as they were tapping it. It was crowded but no lines. You could buy as much as you wanted, 1 10 oz glass at a time.

27. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (290) California Jan 12, 2009

Dbl IPA Fest.. get it there and compare to other 3x's... easy as Sunday morning...but not the Sunday morning after the fest :)

AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  28. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

What is the best airport to fly into? thinking about san fran then renting a car. Any suggestions?

29. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Rent your car in advance. I tried to walk in to 3 rental agencies on a Monday morning and couldn't get a car.

30. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

You can fly into SF and take the BART into town (SFO is really in Burlingame pretty much). I'd forgo the car in the city if you don't mind public transport, the Muni is cheap and the BART is quick.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  31. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

During the winter months I suggest flying into Oakland. SFO gets lengthy flight delays when rain hits. You are pretty much guaranteed to miss the East Bay and North Bay traffic if you land mid morning or late evening.

32. Fly into Charles M. Schultz Airport in Santa Rosa. You'll have to connect through either LA, Portland or San Fran.

33. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I personally like Oakland-Alameda airport, as I just think it's a more "user friendly" airport. It's easier to get around there, and it's less of a hassle obtaining a rental car (5 minute shuttle bus drive to the rental car area). That being said, I'd do some homework and check prices flying into and out of the bay area. There can be considerable variation on price of air travel into both airports, as well as considerable variation in rental car prices (on average, I've found obtaining a rental car to be more expensive at SFO). It might even be worth while taking a look at flying into San Jose (roughly an hour south of the bay area), as sometimes you can save some dough that way as well.

As for flying into Santa Rosa (which I assume you would only do if you're planning on visiting the brewpub), generally it's considerably more expensive to fly into Santa Rosa, and I think it's a hassle (as the conductor mentioned, it's difficult to find direct flights into Santa Rosa). Good luck!

(I'll be flying into Oakland myself)

34. dcgunman

I plan on flying into Santa Rosa from LAX. But if that's not an option and you fly into SFO I would check for car rentals around the airport instead of at the airport if your trying to save some $'s. You will find that most car rentals will be around 80-100 dollars a day at the airport. You can cut that cost in half by looking around for rentals near the airport. As a matter of fact two years ago I flew into SFO and took the BART one stop over and there was a car rental at the mall there and I rented a car for $40 a day. Drove up to RRBC for the day and flew back to LAX. This year I plan on flying into Santa Rosa and take the bus into downtown Santa Rosa or cab it to the brewery for the day again. I just want to go in the middle of the week and just hang out at the brewery for the day and fly back home.

35. Walden97

Walden97 Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 31, 2011

I generally fly to OAK (from Houston) because of the ease of not having to drive thru the city to get up to Santa Rosa. I've looked at flights into Santa Rosa but they all have 2-4 hour layovers at LAX and that is just too long for me. The cars are also cheaper at OAK but I use priceline to drive the cost down further. I do the same for hotels and typically get the Flamingo for ~$60/night. This allows me to go balls-to-the-wall at the brewery. Who am I kidding? I'd do that anyways!

36. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (255) California Nov 24, 2009

Anyone planning in being there Feb 2 that has a bottles of nelson they'd like to trade for a 12 BCBS? Still looking to try that one...

37. Flying into Oakland is generally cheaper. Also SFO is in South San Francisco, it will take you about the same amount of time to drive from SFO as it will from OAK. Less hassles at OAK imo, and generally cheaper. Hope that helps.

38. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Savant (275) California Jul 11, 2012

Looking forward to seeing what San Diego spots will be tapping it this year.

39. The usuals

Hamiltons
    Stone World Bistro
    Pizza Port Carlsbad
    O'Briens

Over the past 5+ years, I have never experienced the frenzy of raffles and long lines down here. Recently, it has been a quick Twitter or Facebook announcement a few hours before tapping.