1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Younger taps on February 1st

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by broodog, Jan 20, 2013.

1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

O'briens initial tapping is usually announced 2 weeks in advance, no tickets, 1 hour line, 10oz pour, popped in 18 minutes.

2. Has anyone brought there underage children with them?

3. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

small bar taps younger and so does toronado. and also tap room in pb. and san diego beer co. i know im forgetting one or two

4. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

At the brewpub in Rosa?

A couple brought what looked like a 4 month old and stood in line in front of us for 5 hours. Brave. It's a restaurant so kids are welcome.

5. Trio2shine

Trio2shine Savant (270) California Nov 15, 2011

I was curious for anyone that's attended the opening day of Younger what time did you show up at the pub and what was your wait like?

6. Auracom

Auracom Savant (300) Illinois Nov 5, 2010

Will be there on the first with a large group of friends from all over the country. Weather better not suck like it has in NY and Chicago.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

:) You're probably not going to be happy with this answer.

Two years ago I thought it might be fun to show up for the opening day release. I knew there would be a line of course, but I figured if I got there some 50 to 60 minutes in advance, I probably wouldn't have to wait too long (anyone who was there that year is, I'm sure, laughing their ass off). Anyway, when I got there 50 minutes in advance, there were easily 200 people in front of me. It was likely considerably more than that, as some folks were holding places in line for friends who had gone off to get coffee or breakfast or for a smoke break, whatever. Anyway, as I recall, RR actually opened up the pub roughly 20 or 30 minutes early, just to accommodate some of the folks who had been waiting for hours already. So at the official opening bell time, the pub was already jammed packed. After waiting another 10 or 15 minutes, with virtually no movement, I decided I had better things to do with my time then sit in line for hours (which is what it clearly was going to take before I could get in), so I left. So I can't tell you from actual experience how long a wait it would have been if I had stuck around. However, posts from folks who braved the opening day crowd last year, indicated that it was somewhere between a 3 hour and 4 hour wait, depending upon when you got in line. Of course if you don't mind arriving around 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning, I'm srue the wait in line will be considerably less (though I'll bet you'll still have to wait in line).

BTW. Two years ago we came by the brewpub later that first day, around 4:30. The line had shrunk to manageable proportions by then, so I hopped in line and got inside in roughly 35 minutes. Last year when we drove by around 4:30, the line was nearly as long as it had been when we drove by in the morning. Same with Saturday, all day long (From what I could tell. We drove by around 4:00 on Saturday). However, when I stopped by around 2:30 on Sunday, I got in after no more than a 15 or 20 minute wait.

Just seems like Younger gets more and more popular every year.

8. Trio2shine

Trio2shine Savant (270) California Nov 15, 2011

Thanks for the response. I figured as much, if I want the opportunity to get my hands on some Younger this year I'll unfortunately have to do so on opening day due to work/family obligations. So basically either wait in line for 5 hours prior to the pub opening or wait in line later and get a little extra sleep. :)

9. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Savant (275) California Jul 11, 2012

Last year BLAH had a sweet deal for it, proceeds went to charity. Hopefully they do something along those lines again.

Sebowski likes this.
  10. John_M

Just don't go too much later. Opening day is one of the few days they actually run out of younger before the pub closes (even though they allocate extra younger for that day). Normally I would recommend that you consider visiting around 8:00 or 9:00, but there's a very good chance they may be out of younger for the day if you go that late.

11. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

This will be my first RR trip as well. Does any bottle sharing go on in line? I've heard because of the location it would be hard to. Just thought I'd check on here before I brought a bunch of things out. Is the 2nd Saturday any better than the first? We'll be flying into SF Friday, hitting up Toronado, La Trappe, etc. Then driving up to Rosa early Saturday morning. Just trying to figure out how early we'll have to leave. Hopefully we'll get to try PtY out somewhere else, but still looking forward to checking out RR since we haven't been.

12. There was a line out the door by 2:15. Luckily I arrived at 1:30 and had a seat at the bar. It's a good beer, but I can't see waiting in line for it.

dcgunman likes this.
  13. John_M

"Does any bottle sharing go on in line?"

The time I stood in line, I saw some of it going on, but it was pretty limited (and those doing it, were pretty surreptitious about it). RR is located pretty much in the downtown area of Santa Rosa, and the line winds down the sidewalk in front of some shops right there on 4th street. So it's pretty hard to get away with any bottle sharing in line, and I'm fairly certain RR would discourage such activities, just to be considerate to their neighbors, and so as not to run afoul of the local PD. Of course you can do whatever you want, but I'd recommend against bringing any bottles to share in line.

14. Heading to San Franciso before Beer Week.
    Bad timing I know.

Any idea if Toronado will tap PtY before beer week?

15. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

I figured as much, just thought I'd check. Thanks for the info.

16. kpacedo

Agreed, in line, not really doable, but if you park in the lot behind the pub, you might be able to stealthily open a couple bottles.

17. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

They did last year. I was at RR first Tuesday then SFO for two nights. Stumbled into Toronado's Younger release totally by accident. Crowded but not bad. Had a Sculpin instead. No need to compete w/locals for Younger when I already had a few at RR. Your timing in advance of SFBW isn't all that bad. Many breweries are releasing special brews for the occasion in advance of SFBW. February is also strong beer month. :) Two must stops besides Toronado are Magnolia & 21st Amendment IMO.

dcolatriano likes this.
  18. I'm actually going to be staying in Healdsburg Feb 7th-10th. As of now, we are just planning to hit up RR early on Friday the 8th to try Pliny the Younger. Not quite sure what to expect line wise, but since we don't have anything else we have to do that morning we will probably just get their early and wait for it to open.

On a sidenote - Does anyone know of a good bar/restaurant that has a good craft beer selection in Healdsburg?

19. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Bear Republic Brewery is in Healdsburg

20. Yep. We are actually going to go there as well. Its actually just around the corner from our hotel. The trip is actually a wine trip, but I purposely scheduled it for the first two weeks of February. We are going to go to RR, Bear Republic and Lagunitas. The rest of the time will be spent at wineries. Really looking forward to the trip.

Everything is pretty much planned, but I just haven't been able to find a good bar that has a good craft selection yet. Hopefully the Concierge or some locals can point me in the right direction.

21. The Healdsburg Bar And Grill. For great food also try Willy's Wine Bar and many other awesome eateries in town.

22. Thanks for the heads up. We were already planning to go to Willi's so I'm glad to hear that's a good place. I'll check out Healdsburg bar and grill too.

23. John_M

I always just go to Bear Republic as well, but wanted to add something. Aside from the excellent beer selection at BR, they also have a very tolerable wine by the glass (and bottle selection) there. My GF does not like beer (she likes good wine), but I never have a problem getting her to come along to BR. It's something to consider if there is anyone else in your group who does not like beer very much.

24. sobeleg

sobeleg Advocate (510) New York Jun 29, 2011

Question: My flight is getting into SF around 11:40AM on Friday, and I will be making it up to RR by 1:30. Should I be expecting 5 hr. lines, and the possibility of missing out on Younger? Would I be better off coming up at like 8AM on Saturday? Thanks for the help!

25. kpacedo

Anyone local to the north bay tried the 101 north brewing stuff? Ex- bear republic head brewer doing I believe an ipa and an imperial stout. Buddy of mine said the ipa was the tits.

26. kpacedo

I would expect a line for a couple hours but that early you should still get as many pours as you can drink.

27. Good to know. My wife doesn't mind beer, but she might after I force her on the Lagunitas tour and sitting in line at RR.

28. What do you guys think the line will be like when RR opens (11:00 am) on the second Friday (2/8)? We are staying in Healdsburg, but don't have anything planned for that morning. We could be in line at RR as early as 9:00 (or earlier if need be).

29. John_M

Yep. We drove by the brewpub last year around 4:20, just to see if the line had shortened to the point that it made sense for me to get in it. No such luck. I'd say that there were at least a couple hundred folks still in line at that point.

A couple hour long line might be a bit optimistic (though who knows... maybe younger won't be as popular this year...:), but I agree, based on previous years' experience, it really shouldn't take 5 hours at that point. Three hours wouldn't surprise me though...

kpacedo likes this.
  30. kpacedo

Second Friday at opening my guess would be maybe walk right in to a short (~1 hour wait) wait.

Edit: Scratch that, SF Beer Week starts then, so prob lines comparable to the first Friday... Get there early.

31. Interesting. I knew that SF Beer week was starting then, but wasn't sure if that would help or hurt the line at RR. I was kind of hoping everyone would be doing other things in San Fran at that time.

By the way, will any SF Beer events be happening around the Santa Rosa or Healdsburg areas or are they pretty much exclusive to SF?

Edit: Thanks again for the help.

32. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

Their Heroine IPA is mediocre. Beltane Brewing out of Novato just opened up a tasting room and are making some good stuff. Henhouse out of Petaluma also is making some good stuff. Taps in Petaluma is a good place to try all three of these breweries.

33. mjl21

Wurst is another place worth checking out in Healdsburg. They make killer sausages and have a decent number of taps from North Bay breweries.

34. bob916

bob916 Disciple (65) California Jan 31, 2011

same for tiger tiger. i randomly popped in one day last year and saw PTY on the tap list. lucky me.

35. Thanks for the recommendation. We were planning to try Scopa one night, but it sounds like they are closed for a few weeks (Winter vacation). Wurst looks like a fun place and it also appears they have Moonlight's Death and Taxes on tap (which I want to try).

36. John_M

Check and see, but I think their new "sister" restaurant is still open now. The recent Wine Spectator editor review recommended it, along with Scopa. That's if you want to try something somewhat comparable to Scopa. (we plan to give it a try this Sunday)

http://campo-fina.com/

37. I will. Since you seem to be pretty familiar with the area, what are your thoughts on Dry Creek Kitchen? Are there better options for a nice dinner in Healdsburg? Any other must go-to restaurants to hit up? As of now we will probably just go to Wurst, Willi's and DCK but we are open to pretty much anything.

Any wineries you recommend we stop at? The ones we have on our list as possibilities are:

Seghesio
    Simi
    Lambert Bridge
    Lancaster Estates
    Medlock Ames
    Merry Edwards
    Twomey

We won't go to all of those, but those are the wineries we are currently considering. Sorry to hijack this thread, but you all have been extremely helpful. Thanks again.

38. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

If you're going to Lambert Bridge, check out Dry Creek Vineyard just down the road. That was one of our favorites in our last trip that included 25 wineries.

39. mjl21

Skip Dry Creek Kitchen. I would head north a little bit to Geyserville and go to Diavolo. It's a great place. For wineries I really like Preston Vineyards.

drgarage likes this.
  40. John_M

As you can see, everyone has opinions on where to go for dinner and wine. :)

I honestly have not gone to Dry Creek Kitchen, though the place has been there for a while (but seems to get mixed reviews). It tends to be touristy and crowded, which is probably why I've stayed away so far. We usually stay in Healdsburg or Santa Rosa (while in Sonoma), but typically end up eating over in Napa or in the Santa Rosa area. Last time we were in Healdsburg we went to Zins, which was fine, but not so good that we wanted to revisit. Apparently, there are a number of "hot" new restaurants in the area; another place I've heard good things about recently is Brava Bar De Tapas.

As for wineries, there's nothing at all wrong with the places you're planning to visit. Other wineries that we happen to like, include:

Silver Oak
    Ferrari Carano (do the reserve tasting downstairs if you go)
    Mazzocco (if you like big zins)
    Ridge
    Sbragia (excellent sauvignon blanc, chard and zin)
    Martinelli (the chards and pinots are expensive, but it's hard to deny their quality)
    Sausal (for some old vine zin)

Sonoma is chalk full of good wineries, so just go wherever your mood takes you. At least that's my advice. :)