1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Younger taps on February 1st

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by broodog, Jan 20, 2013.

1. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

Trentadue makes some nice red blends in Alexander valley.
  2. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

I'm in luckily in the valley for work this week, but I'm flying back Friday evening from SFO so I can't delay too long in Santa Rosa on the opening day. Plus I won't make it up there on Friday until 3pm or so.

Buuuuuut...I'm more of a sour head than a hop head, so I'd be OK with stocking up on the -ation beers from the brewpub if the line for PtY is totally insane.

So here's my question - will the line for PtY be the same line as for buying regular RR bottles? If so, I guess I'll be waiting in line no matter what. If not, at least I'll have the option of grabbing some sours *and* making my flight home :)

Thanks all!
  3. kpacedo

No! You don't have to wait in line for growler fills or bottles purchase. I think they were letting people in the rear of the pub for those.
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

You can also go to Bottle Barn. A couple exits up 101 from RR, cheaper, and often (though not always) have everything the brewery does.
  5. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Are you sure about that? The day I went for opening day, they had an employee out in the back parking lot, just to make sure no one tried to go in that way (you could leave out the back, but they weren't letting anyone in that I could see). Also, I'm pretty sure they don't differentiate between younger customers and others. If you think about it, the staff is crazy busy because the pub is packed and absolutely jumping. So there really isn't anyone there just to handle bottle sales. In fact, the times I've been at the pub during the younger release, it was often a CONSIDERABLE wiat to buy bottles, just because the place was so slammed, the staff really didn't have time to handle bottle sales. So it really doesn't make any sense to let someone inside, just for bottle sales. (and besides.... wouldn't it be kind of tempting to order a glass of younger, just while you're waiting to pick up your bottles - you just know that would be a problem at some point).

Just my two cents, but I would strongly recommend calling the brewpub about this, before heading over to the brewpub, hoping just to buy bottles this Friday.
  6. brikelly

Thanks! That's great news on both fronts. Finding no RR sours at all in either SF or SJ so far, so I'm psyched that I can get some in the brewpub or Bottle Barn on Friday. Cheers!
  7. brikelly

Believe me, I SO want to - but Jet Blue doesn't care about my love of beer :)
  8. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

^^^^^this.
    Definitely hit up Bottle Barn but not until I get there. Save some for me. And yes, they're cheaper than buying the same beers at the source.
  9. stupac2

That was my recollection too, but I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't 100%. Maybe the guy who said that was thinking of the Beat release? They did have separate lines for that one.
  10. Walden97

Walden97 Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 31, 2011

I was cycling in Dry Creek last year during the Younger release (this was a Sunday) and was supposed to meet up with a buddy at Russian River later that day. The line was too long for him so he went around back to grab some growlers and bottles and met me in Healdsburg to drink on the square. So yes, to-go goodies are indeed available around back based on our experience.

And for whoever is going wine tasting, Lancaster is awesome. Be sure to schedule a tasting in the caves, not the tasting room.
  11. kpacedo

Good idea to call and confirm but we filled a growler and brought it back to our place in line to drink. They gave younger drinkers wrist bands to differentiate the two I believe.
  12. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

This just announced on Haven Gastropubs Facebook page:

Just when you thought there couldn't possibly any more incredible news coming your way, we bring you PLINY THE YOUNGER! That's right - every year, Russian River Brewing Company releases their Pliny the Younger, and this pub-draft only, VERY limited distribution beer, is available in February at select locations, including Haven Gastropub in Orange and Haven Gastropub +Brewery in Pasadena! Yes, and when we have this 10.5% ABV Pliny the Younger, we'll also have Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder on tap!

Here's how it will go down:
    >Monday, February 18 @ 11 a.m. >> Haven Gastropub +Brewery in Old Pasadena

>Tuesday, February 19 @ 11 a.m. >> Haven Gastropub in Old Towne Orange

Specifics: http://havengastropub.com/_blog/Haven_Gastropub/post/Pliny_the_Younger/

Let the Younger be heard in the OC begin.
  13. Johnmichaelson, kcpacedo & Walden97 - Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into those.
  14. brikelly

Just a quick follow-up, does the brewpub sell bottles until they close late at night? I'm thinking of making my bottle run up there tonight to make sure the Friday PtY run is free from haul purchase stress :)
  15. Just curious...if anyone who is going to the Super Nebula release and going to be in Santa Rosa for PtY on the 8th or 9th be willing to possibly trade for 1 or 2? :)
    PapaG likes this.
  16. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure there is only 1 line for everything. The back entrance is not opened up at all...at least not while there is a huge line outside.

So to avoid the long wait, grab your bottles tomorrow.
  17. sobeleg

sobeleg Savant (470) New York Jun 29, 2011

Anyone know if sanctification will be available tomorrow at the brewpub? I see it's listed in the coming soon section on the website.
  18. stupac2

They just posted on FB about Sanctification, but I forget what the end result was. Go check their FB page.
  19. sobeleg

sobeleg Savant (470) New York Jun 29, 2011

Looks like it will be available tomorrow, thanks!
  20. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (580) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

As someone who hasn't had younger or elder, but will be going to RR next week, do you suggest trying elder first, then younger?
  21. I think you s
    I'd probably try Elder first. You may appreciate the Younger more that way.
  22. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

Blend 'em. Pliny the Eldger.
    Sebowski, chippo33 and mbockstruck30 like this.
  23. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Agreed, when tasting, always try the more subtle beer first (or in this case, less extreme). If you go vice versa, it can throw your taste buds off.

That said, you can get Elder quite easily, so if I were you, I would try Elder before from somewhere else, and save the brewpub for what you can only get there....Younger.
    chippo33 likes this.
  24. Pliny the Jan Brady.
  25. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

You're there to drink Younger. You can buy bottles of Elder and drink them later. At 10.8 ABV you don't want to waste your liver on Elder when you're there to enjoy Younger. Thinking you have to have the Elder first to appreciate Younger is bull shit. IMO. :)
    John_M and dcolatriano like this.
  26. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

Start with Blind Pig. That's the best one.
    dcolatriano and grandmeaulnes like this.
  27. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Stop trolling this guy. Blind Pig is fine, but it's by no means the best of the three. Hell, even Russian River IPA is better than BP.
  28. mjl21

Not trolling. Different strokes for different folks. I've been drinking beers at RR since late 04 and after a boat load of 10, 16, and 20 ounce glasses I feel Blind Pig is better than the two Plinys. I'm drinking a 1/22 bottle right now.
    bkrueger likes this.
  29. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I've been there since early '05, so I'm a bit later, but Blind Pig has never done much for me -- it's really well-made, but the hop bill just doesn't hit my sweet spot.
  30. mjl21

So we'll agree they need to bring back RR IPA. Hate that this one is going to be a seasonal. That being said, I'm looking forward to trying some Younger once the newbies/tourists have made their claim over the next few days. Cheers.
    drgarage likes this.
  31. chippo33

Ive had Elder in the bottle, but from across the country, I've had blind pig, row 2, and most other russian river. I just havent had any of their IPA FRESH.

I didnt think Elder was anything special at all. Again, it was already 2 weeks old in the bottle when I had it, and I'm sure it would taste better fresh.
  32. grrrah

grrrah Savant (320) California Sep 21, 2009

Blind Pig, then Row 2, then Elder, then Younger.
  33. I'm gonna hold off on going until tuesday-wednesday hopefully the crowds thin out by then.

34. That is pretty fresh, maybe it just wasnt stored properly.
  35. I love them all, but which one I choose all is mood dependent. Ive been on a huge Pig kick since last year though. Its just so sessionable.
  36. Two whole weeks?

Drain pour.
  37. chippo33

Elder after 2 weeks compared to Alpine or VT IPA's? Absolutely.
  38. This is why we can't have nice things.
    jasonmason likes this.
  39. i will be doing the same, hopefully its chilled out, because i hate large groups of people.!
  40. kpacedo

Can someone please upload a pic of the bottle offerings and prices?? Might've lost my receipt for muling.. thanks