Pliny the Younger taps on February 1st

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by broodog, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Damnation/Redemption - $4
    Pliny/Blind Pig/Salvation - $5
    Sanctification - $9
    Temptation/Consecration/Supplication - $12

This is what they currently have at the brewery.

chippo33 likes this.
  2. got there are noon today, little under 2 hours to the door. the line was pretty constant for that 2 hours. it was short when we left around 5

3. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

Thank you!

4. Got there around 5:30 on monday - 40 minute wait to get in

5. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

Waited seven hours on Saturday, completely worth the drive from L.A. Left with 1/2 case PtE, 1/2 case Blind Pig.

6. JayORear

When I was there on Saturday, they had a separate line at the back entrance for non-PtY growler fills and bottles.

7. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

That's good to know. I have friends heading down there that just want some Row 2.

8. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

This is crazy talk.

9. kpacedo

kpacedo Savant (265) California Nov 24, 2009

I agree, that damn line Saturday was ridiculous. I thought 5 hours last year was the upper limit.

At one point there were charter buses dropping people off with the line wrapped to the rear parking lot, meaning they were stuck. Ouch. Looks like only second weekend from here on out...

10. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

Its beyond crazy. I always look forward to this post every year. It's not about the beer anymore than it is about the hype and insanity of the whole experience I guess. From booking airline flights to securing hotels within " stumbling " distance of RR. Really ? Can you look in the mirror and honestly say that that pint(s) of beer was worth all that ??? I think your answer may be, " it was a really great experience, we got shit faced on Younger but I wouldnt do it again ", that's the answer I hear most.
    Most importantly I say this as I once stood in line at RR for way to many hours like a lot of you. Over the years I have had gallons of this great beer, I have found much more pleasant ways of procuring PtY these days. But when I do take that first sip I always ask myself " is this really worth all that " and my answer is always NO. No beer is worth taking that much out of my life anymore, period. I guess whats amazing is that I am definitely in the minority as new generations have discovered the " must have younger " mentality. And it's not just the Younger release, its all the craziness now that is associated with them, it could be Citra, Expo,Enjoy By, you name it, its just taking on a whole new set of rules and I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing.I guess that's up to all of you, and I am not putting anyone down in any way if they choose to stand in line for half a day for a glass of beer,or chase a Stone truck all over town for a single bottle of beer, because somebody always will and for them it's worth it.

Cheers.....

jasonmason, Trio2shine and SUBER like this.
  11. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Three hour wait Saturday am. Doors open at 10:30 am.

12. I see your point of view and would probably agree with it on most occasions. My wife and I will be coming in to try PtY this Friday from Oklahoma. For us it is a good excuse to do something different and finallyschedule the wine trip that we have been planning in our heads for a few years. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old so getting out and doing new things can get a bit challenging at times, but because of those challenges its makes the trips we do get to take that much more enjoyable (especially for things we can't do or get in Oklahoma - which is most things). It's all about the experiences now. That being said, patience isn't exactly a strong characteristic of mine so I'm hoping the line isn't too crazy this Friday. We are planning to get there pretty early as we have nothing else planned for that morning. We will basically just get up, drive in from Healdsburg and go from there.

13. OTB

That is when it does make perfect sense, your tying in a nice wine trip, make sure you hit up the great Pinot's of the Russian River like Richioli. And the line should not be THAT....bad. Enjoy Younger, it is a great beer.

Enjoy your trip,

Cheers....

14. Thanks. I'll check out Richioloi too.

15. if you like dessert wines and you're staying in healdsburg, check out amista. they have a fantastic zin based port style wine called illusion. good cab and zin as well.

you've probably got everything planned out already but in napa you should really consider checking out alpha omega and prager port works. i go down semiregularly and these 2 are my new favorites.

i went to younger yesterday and it was easily worth the 2 hour drive both ways and the 2 hour wait in line. really spectacular beer. enjoy your trip, great place to visit : )

16. Thanks. We have a little bit of a plan, but I am sure we will end up just stopping in random places though. I will definitely look into your recommendations though.

17. JayORear

I guess I might have added, in my original post, that I wasn't in the Bay Area just for PtY . . . I was visiting friends in SF the night before, and my sister in Sacramento for the Super Bowl the next day. Still, the line was a lot of fun, and once we were inside, we stayed almost 5 hours, drinking, eating, and meeting fellow beer lovers. I came away with several new potential friends, including several down in SoCal I probably wouldn't have met otherwise. Bottom line, really, is that I've spent 7 hours in way worse ways.

18. Walden97

Walden97 Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 31, 2011

There was no wait last night around 7:00pm and plenty of empty tables. Good times...none of which I fully remember.

19. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

And that's what it comes down to: for them, it's worth it.

It's like asking, "Is that Picasso painting really worth $45 million?" Well, maybe not to me, but to the guy who paid $45 million it was, so ... it really is worth that much.

I've done the Younger thing and I'd do it again, albeit midweek--there's no way I'd wait seven hours. But every year there are more people who are more than willing to wait that long, or longer. Is it worth it? To them yes,

Doesn't bother me, except that it's gotten harder to stay stocked on RR beers as their reputation has grown.

20. I'm gonna be there on the 16th or 17th , any beer gonna be left? (not worried about PtE)

21. Did anyone go yesterday or today? I'm curious how the weekday lines are going. I was planning on getting there at 9:30am, but there is discussion in my group of 10:15-10:30.

22. I think this was a typo, and is supposed to be Rochioli. If you happen to go down Westside Rd, you can do a round about drive to Santa Rosa and (PtY) via Hwy 116 and then Guerneville Rd you could hit up Rochioli, Arista, Porter Creek on Westside Rd and Iron Horse on Hwy 116.

If you want any of the down low winery recommendations send me a message.

If you really enjoy food and beautiful scenery, take a drive out to Wild Flour Bakery in Freestone on your way to the ocean. It's hard to beat the Fougasse, and I recommend getting at least two. If you are out that far it might be good to check in with Barley and Hops over in Occidental and see if they have PtY as well.

Have a great trip out here.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  23. Walden97

Walden97 Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 31, 2011

I got there at 10:15am today and was able to get in on the first group of people, including getting a table for 4. There was 50-60 people in front of me when I arrived.

MrFootstones likes this.
  24. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

:) Naw, Richioli is the sister winery to Rochioli. While Rochili tends to specialize in burgundy varietals (except they also make a great sauvignon blanc), Richioli specializes in French Columbard, chenin blanc and norton. They're sort of Mikeller's version of evil twin (except their prices are even higher and the french columbard is really, really nasty).

All kidding aside, Rochioli absolutely makes some great wine, but just keep in mind they feel such great wine needs to be sold at a comparable price. Their stuff is good, no doubt, but cheap it ain't. Enjoy!

25. OTB

I would add Dehlinger to my must stops for Pinot hounds while up in RR.

Cheers....

26. For sure. I have until Friday to get in my allocations from them. They are one of few wineries I always recommend to anybody/everybody. Unfortunately I don't know if they are doing any tours at all right now since Carmen had her baby, as she was in charge of the tours. If they are, they do tours on Friday, but I'd call ASAP.

They are having an open house April 19-21st from 11am-5pm if anybody else is interested in giving them a visit sometime in the future.

I end up driving by Dehlinger at least 2-4 times a week. It sure looks like nothing else in this world when it's 7am in the morning, covered in mist, and the sun is coming up from beyond Santa Rosa.

If you must make a reservation at any wineries. I'd say Dehlinger, Littorai, Chasseur, and possibly even Benovia would all be worth getting on their websites and giving a call because you can not just "show up". The first three I recommended would make up an unreal Pinot noir adventure that is practically unrivaled, especially if you also made it over to Iron Horse (which you don't have to call to go to).

Once again, have a great trip out here!

Penguin3200 and OTB like this.
  27. OTB

And enjoy those Iron Horse bubbles, so much fun. Love Littorai as well, well to be honest we love world class pinot whether from Oregon, Santa Barbara, Napa/RR for that matter. An honest wine maker will always tell you what they drink after a long day especially during crush....good craft beer !

Cheers....

Cheers.....

bkrueger likes this.
  28. igor

igor Aficionado (220) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

I'm doing 3 days in Santa Rosa, 2/16-18 so this thread has been a great read. Thanks bkruegger, OTB and johnmichaelson as I want to go to a winery or two while I am there. I have one question though for you all. Will the Younger hysteria be over by the time I'm there? I plan on going to RR for beers and dinner so I hope it's not too crazy. I have not had any of their stuff so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks.

29. OTB

It will be much subsided by then, enjoy it !

Cheers.....

bkrueger likes this.
  30. igor

igor Aficionado (220) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

Awesome! Thanks!

31. John_M

Yes. +1 to this. RR is often crowded on the weekends, but given that this will be February, it shouldn't be too bad. Nothing like the hysteria during younger release; you shouldn't have much of a problem getting in and finding a place to sit (other that during the usual lunch and dinner crush). Have fun.

32. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Can u even compare them, they are different styles
    Row 2 is a pale
    Bp is an ipa
    Pte is a dipa
    Pty a tripa (listed on here as a dipa -- but u know what I mean)

If u like bp , that's cool it's a great ipa but better than younger? Apples and oranges I think

33. I appreciate all of the suggestions in this thread. I think i listed a few of the places we are trying to go to earlier in this thread, but nothing is set so I'll keep looking through these recommendations. Since we are staying in Healdsburg, we are planning to stay on the Sonoma side this time. A few places we were looking into were:

Merry Edwards
    Lancaster Estates (we have booked a tour for Saturday)
    Lambert Bridge
    Seghesio
    Simi
    Medlock Ames

Any thoughts on these wineries?

34. we're dropping by this afternoon, a friend who went yesterday just after lunch said the wait time was ~30min.
    are you going today?

35. There now! I'm at one of the tables across from the bar with my fiancée and buddy.

kristalynn likes this.
  36. Merry Edwards produces a lot of good stuff. Have had some nice cabs from Lancaster over the years so that should be a good stop. Seghesio is known for their zins right? Do not know too much about Lambert, Medlock and Simi. I highly recommend, if you can, stop by Williams Selyem if you are seeking pinots. They make single vineyard from RR and also the sonoma coast (a bit leaner IMO) wines they produce are fantastic, and less expensive than their RR counterparts. Their tours may be appt only though...

37. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

Healdsburg area is immense with wineries. I personally vouch for these:

Unti - call ahead
    J for champagne - pricy
    Quivira - biodynamics organics
    Mauritson
    Preston
    Bella - caves

that's all i can remember... heed my bolded words.

38. Hanna for the best view in the valley

39. I'm in the bay area for business this week and I'm pretty excited to visit RR on saturday. I'll be going alone, so hopefully that will make it easier for me to get in. Pretty excited...

40. John_M

Just for anyone who is planning to go over the next week... we stopped by around 2:20 this afternoon (wednesday). At that point there were roughly 100 folks in line, so we said scew it. By my calculations, 100 folks in line equates to roughly an hour long wait. I heard from a friend that there was little or no line when RR opened, so that's something to keep in mind.

I've had PtY on a number of occasions over the past few years, and at least for me, my time is too valuable to spend sitting in line that long. Each to their own...

rob133 and chippo33 like this.