1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Pliny the Younger taps on February 1st

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by broodog, Jan 20, 2013.

1. yeah, we swung by at about 1:30 and saw a similar line, and decided not to wait. i expect next week will be much quieter, if it's anything like past years.

2. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

I went Monday and Tuesday. Arrived at 3:00 both days. As a point of reference, the line ended in front of Darcy's Jewelers and on both days it was a 45 minute wait. It will be long tomorrow if the rain hits and eliminates the outdoor seating.

3. eorwar

eorwar Savant (295) Illinois Jan 11, 2012

Hi all,

Chicago BA here will be in town at open tomorrow. If any PAC BA's are attending, shoot me a BM and come say hi. Looking forward to it!

Cheers!

4. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

As John noted yesterday morning (Wednesday) at the open was a piece of cake. Everyone in line when they opened got in.

5. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

We'll be heading there Saturday as well. Planning on arriving between 8-8:30. I'll have a few Chicago BAs with me, so if you someone to shoot the shit with, hit me up.

Askchucky likes this.
  6. I'll be there Saturday, probably pretty early as well, maybe 9am or so. Friends are coming into town only on Saturday from Long Beach or I wouldn't dream of going Saturday morning. Hopefully Saturday won't be a crazy long time waiting in line like I heard it was last Saturday. If you want to say hey, I'll be the guy wearing a Funky Buddha "beer snob" shirt drinking Cantillon out of a paper bag. :D

Today's line (Thursday) wasn't so bad at opening. I got in line with a group of friends at around 1045 and we got in by 1145. The line seemed to be a little bit over 100-150 people long after the entire place had been filled up to capacity. We were probably around 120 or so people back at opening, but they staggered letting in people for the bartenders/servers/kitchen to accommodate not getting slammed all at once and it took around an hour.

7. That would be awesome. I won't be there until the afternoon and spending the night at the Flamingo.

8. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

I'll be in line in the next 45 minutes or so. Got shut out last night (younger blew at around 7). I'll keep y'all posted! Cheers.

kristalynn likes this.
  9. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (320) California Jul 24, 2009

I plan on being there in about an hour.

10. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I got there at about 10:45, looked to be at least 60-80 people in line ahead of me, so I thought I'd be waiting a while, but I was seated at a table and drinking the Younger by 11:15. No problemo.

11. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

Not surprisingly the line is longer today at 10:30. It goes all the way down Fourth and wraps halfway down E Street.

12. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Just sat down. Abecal and I are sitting in the far back to the right with a group of six total (right under the shirts on the wall).

Cheers!

13. mikul93

mikul93 Savant (305) California Jan 13, 2011

I'm in Redwood City and looking to head up there today. What's the line look like Sir?

14. Kmkzbdon

Kmkzbdon Disciple (60) California Apr 25, 2012

Got here at 12:30, still in line with another hour wait. Probably four hours total before we get in.

15. On my way there now. Is there A line?

16. mbockstruck30

Reply back when u get there. I assume there will be a small line. Heading up from San Fran in a half hour.

17. mbockstruck30

Just got here at 8am and only about 45 people in line.

18. I was hoping to leave Palo Alto by 7 am. Hopefully I can get up there in the next few hours.

19. The line is at the corner now, near Peets.

20. D

21. Don't miss Alexander Vallley bar, behind Medlock Ames. It opens at 5.

22. Anybody in line today? I'm at 5th and d. How long is it from this point?

23. People are doing the Wave in line for Pliny now lol

24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

How big's the line? I'm considering going tomorrow but won't bother if I have to wait in line for more than a few minutes.

25. there's a good chance we'll be going tomorrow as well. i can text you an update when we get there, although not sure yet if we'll try to go at opening or aim for that sweet spot in between lunch and dinner.

26. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I appreciate the offer, but would need to be on the road well before you'd get there.

27. good point.

28. rayre

rayre Initiate (0) California May 13, 2010

Heading up tomorrow as well... Starting to worry the "sweet spot between lunch and dinner" might be a little popular haha.

29. Hey guys, just wanted to thank everyone for all of the help and recommendations. My wife and I had a great trip and are already looking forward to doing again relatively soon. For those that are interested we were able to hit Lagunitas on our way up to Healdsburg on Thursday. The next morning, we were the 8th and 9th in line at RR (Friday 8:20 am) which was obviously a little early, but we didn't have anything else to do that morning and figured we would prefer to wait for it to open than sit there and wait for people to leave. I was able to get a plenty of youngers, the sampler (which was impressive) and enough RR bottles to bring home.

From there we ended up hitting four wineries (Lambert Bridge, Seghesio, Lancaster Estates & Merry Edwards), Osmosis day spa, wildflour bakery in Freestone. We ate some great meals (Campo Fina, Willi's Raw bar & Dry Creek kitchen) and I even made my wife stop at the whole foods in Santa Rosa so I could cross "The Abyss" off my list.

One other thing that was fun is that we randomly sat by a fellow BA (SpdKilz) at Lagunitas. We just got talking and after a few minutes were able to determine that we had been talking throughout this thread. All in all it was a perfect trip and I just wanted thank you all for the help and hospitality.

30. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Carleton Roolz.

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  31. Yeah, he was a pretty good dude.

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  32. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (605) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

In line about 100 back near L squared salon (5:10pm on Monday)

33. chippo33

chippo33 Advocate (605) Vermont Feb 29, 2012

Younger is kicked (5:50pm monday).

What time have people got here in the morning and gotten in on the first seating?

34. 730-9

35. Got there at 10:35 am and the line was at Supercuts. Got in at 11:40 am and the only seating was outside surrounding the tables. Looks like they are selling Elder bottles again (sold out on weekend) but a guy sitting at the bar only had 2 along with a bunch of other bottles he was picking up.

36. rayre

rayre Initiate (0) California May 13, 2010

Shout outs to the guy that gave me his paid parking pass! Line was around 1:30-2 hour wait at 2:00 today, ended up going down to hopmonk in sonoma

37. jophish17

jophish17 Advocate (530) Georgia Jan 20, 2007

It sucks to read about the crazy crowds but I guess I should have known better. Here's to hoping its not too bad for a late lunch on Thursday! *crossesfingers*

38. awinkro

awinkro Savant (310) Texas Oct 15, 2008

I live in Texas and came up with some friends. We got inline around 11:30 Monday. Were in by 1:30. Very easy to get a beer from the bar. Worth the wait IMO. Once inside, the atmosphere is really nice. They control the crowd inside so it's easy to move around. We were lucky, as soon as we finished our first round, four people left the bar. We stayed till about 9.

39. mbockstruck30

I would like to post my story, as we had a fantastic time. Four of us came out from Chicago for the weekend. After years of talking about making the trip, we finally decided. Stayed in SF Friday night (enjoyed Toronado at ridiculously affordable prices during happy hour, and La Trappe which was fun but definitely pricier). My plan was to arrive at RR by 8am Saturday and we made it on the dot. I was worried the line might be crazy at that point, but we were about 60-70 people back (which by the time it opened was about 90 because of the people "saving spots" in line). Anyway, got in with the first wave and got the 2nd to last table top! Needless to say, we were stoked and planted ourselves for a while.

The service was amazing. For a release event like this, we never had to wait for a beer. RR also did a fantastic job of not letting it get crowded with standing room (they seemed to let more people in as the day went on, but it was very comfortable for the first 3-4 hours).

Our intention was just to finally make this trip once and not have a desire to wait in the line again. But since this wasn't my first beer release rodeo, we planned it perfectly and nothing could have gone smoother. I have every intention of making the trip again, albeit knowing it might not get much better than the first time. Only disappointment was that bottles of Elder were sold out...everywhere. Oh well, I prefer the -Tions anyway.

eorwar likes this.
  40. BEERQWEST

BEERQWEST Initiate (20) Feb 13, 2013

Orange county Roadtrip...Goathill taven..Yardhouse..Pizza Port...Then World market on Friday for Pliny!

oooohhh...ya!