1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Younger

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by zymrgy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (190) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

In their defense, they did post on their twitter page today:
    "Hello to all you beer sibling lovers! Sorry for shamelessly leading you on. No Pliny yet but please stay tuned!" @11:02 AM
    I'd figure if people saw the tweet with todays date, they would've checked their twitter page before they went there tonight. Luckily for you, they're not the only ones getting it.
    Gobigvt7, exitmusic00 and digita7693 like this.
  2. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Yeah I thought we were good to go. No posts here and none on the beer blogs, Higgins was shaping up to be a pretty low key first tapping. Then the tweet this morning. Too bad they didn't follow through.
  3. w_klon

Personally, I hope it shows up before Saturday and gets tapped during the day, when most people are stuck at work at work and can't get away. Sorry people-who-have-work-that-cant-break-away-at-the-drop-of-a-hat,its nothing personal :D

Because its going to be a mad house at APEX on Saturday
  4. Nah i saw the post mins after on twitter. Just dont post a time date and dont deliver
    A-
  5. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Dude, this was their original tweet: "I hesitate to say this but it is looking like feb 27th for the baby of the family. We would tap it at about 4." If you read that as "Younger will definitely be on at 4pm on the 27th" then you should work on reading comprehension, as it clearly connotes uncertainty. (Not to mention that everyone has been uncertain about when the kegs will actually arrive, and is at the mercy of RR / distributors on this, like so many other releases.)
    digita7693 and LoPo87 like this.
  6. I called u assholes. I wouldnt put this place on blast if they didnt. I asked higgins if this was referenced to PtY, they said yes indeed. So eat it.
    A-
  7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Dude, take a couple deep breaths. Getting this worked up over a beer can't be healthy.
  8. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

Lol at "put this place on blast." I'm sure they couldn't care less. Have you ever been?
    djbreezy and ramnuts like this.
  9. kscaldef

Seriously. I'm sure they are just broken-hearted at losing your business.
    djbreezy and ramnuts like this.
  10. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Now I'm confused. They confirmed that they had it and that it would be tapped at 4:00, or they confirmed that their tweet was in reference to PtY?

Assuming it's the latter (only because it's really hard for me to imagine any place telling a customer they had a beer that they didn't actually have), then I'm with kscaldef on this. Regardless of any "hint" I might see on twitter, unless the restaurant actually confirmed that they had it, I would hope for the best but not assume anything.
    djbreezy, beertunes and digita7693 like this.
  11. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Apparently they are tapping it next Wednesday at 8pm? Thats what the twitter gods are telling me. I am curious if this means that Apex and others won't be receiving it in time for their event Saturday?
  12. Dude, you don't understand. That 1 day was the difference between fresh, super-hoppy Pliny the Younger and a faded, lifeless shell of a beer.
  13. w_klon

1 day!? I mean, its going to be nearly a month old by the time PtY gets to PDX. Everybody should just pass on it. Don't even waste your time, people.
  14. kscaldef was the comment i was replying too. U hippies can be quiet. Ive been to Higgins too. Not mad just dont say you got a product, date it, then fall through. Just common business sense. Apparently a few of you have no clue of that. Lies lies
    A-
  15. Ya APEX suppose to tap in on Sat. But who knows man, we went in there feb 8th and lady bartendar said "Pliny is here, in the back...check Twitter for tapping" it wasnt there. PtY this yr alot crazier and everyone is in the dark on it.
    A-
  16. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (300) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

They never said they had it. No one has it.
  17. kscaldef

The tweets seemed to suggest it arrived today, although if that's that case I haven no idea why they would wait a week to tap it.
  18. CaptainQ

CaptainQ Savant (270) Washington Feb 17, 2013

At least you bastards are getting it. Quit complaining.
    djbreezy, distantmantra and jpbebeau like this.
  19. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

It only seems as if 1 person is complaining like a little bitch, but perhaps my reading comprehension also sucks:)
  20. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

The best, most entertaining NW thread in a very long time! :D
  21. Seeing as your interpretation of the events relies on poor reading skills (obviously Higgins didn't have PtY), I think the rest of us are pretty well clued in and there's only one person who's missing the point.
  22. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

We just need to keep it beer-focused and hopefully it won't get nuked.
    djbreezy likes this.
  23. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

That's what you get for talking to a female. Everybody knows women belong in the kitchen instead of behind a bar.
    beertunes, Lordkrystic and black13 like this.
  24. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Man. It's a good thing you've got that sig. Otherwise I'd have to look all the way to the left to find out who to ignore.
    djbreezy and MADhombrewer like this.
  25. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

The best? Naw. But close.
    beertunes and ramnuts like this.
  26. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

meow
  27. Okay. If you are still mad at Higgins' don't show up, but for us forgiving, thirstier types, Higgins just posted Wednesday the 6th at 8pm. They claim RR claims it is their best batch yet. For the uninitiated on this, how early should one show up for this? Or for Apex tomorrow. Two hours early enough? And does Higgins do tickets or just sell first come first serve? Thanks
  28. RedMedicine

I guess you are being facetious and as much as I don't buy into the "omg hopslam dies off after day 1" bullshit, I will say that I'm not as motivated to drink a month old 6oz glass of PtY for $8 here in Portland as I would be if it were fresher. APEX latest tweet shows its the 2/5 PtY batch being tapped tomorrow.
  29. w_klon

Oh yeah, I'm just messing around. But for me, I've never had PtY, so I'm gonna give it a try either way. Maybe next year I can make the pilgrimage for the fresh stuff. I guess if I already had PtY, I would hit up the spots with boneyards iiipa, because that's a damn good beer
  30. RedMedicine

Hell yeah. We are spoiled because it isnusually fresher. You can still bet Ill be keeping an eye on the tappings downtown next week since they will be pretty convenient after work. Hope you enjoy it, one hell of a beer.
  31. w_klon

Thanks. I'm sure I'll love it.
  32. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

I thought Russian River already stated that they made 2 batches. The first was released a month ago in Cali. The 2nd batch was way more recent for the distro cities?
    yojimbo1 likes this.
  33. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

FYI it has been noted that the supply coming up to Oregan is a different batch than the one that went on tap a month ago at the brewpub. I think this batch is not as old as you think.

Edit: foiled by LoPo87. :)
  34. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

35. RedMedicine

Let me just say that in several years from now if I am no longer living on the west coast, I will be punching myself in the balls for being disappointed that the Pliny the Younger I am drinking is more than 3 weeks old. Nonetheless, I can't help but wish it was a newer batch.
  36. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

In the past, it was first come, first serve. However, every year the chaos and crowds are greater, so past practice is no guarantee of future behavior.

In other words, if you're concerned about it, you should call them.
  37. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

For what it's worth in the opinion of this unwashed is it was their best batch yet.
  38. w_klon

So whos at Apex? Is there a huge line? I'm watching that churchills thread. Crazy stuff.
  39. TysonA

TysonA Savant (310) Washington Dec 12, 2010

Line is wrapping around the fence towards Los Gorditos right now
  40. Colloby

Colloby Aficionado (105) Oregon Sep 19, 2009

Good sized line at Apex - wrapping around the corner and down towards the ramp outside Los Gorditos. Around 70-80, I would guess