1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Younger

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by zymrgy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

With 6oz pours getting some shouldn't be a problem, will just take a while.

2. Colloby

Colloby Aficionado (115) Oregon Sep 19, 2009

It was worth the wait. About an hour standing in line before the doors opened, then another 20 mins or so until we reached the bar. I had the Plinney and the Dogfish 120, both of which were amazing. Good to see a few BA people were there, and also a bunch of Untappd users

3. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

so folks at apex, how is it drinking?

4. spillred

spillred Aficionado (135) Oregon Jun 23, 2011

Seem less manic this year, probably because its warmer and more people @ outside tables. Notorious is drinking better this year IMHO

guajolote likes this.
  5. RedMedicine

Still on right now?

Edit: NM, gone per live beer menu.

6. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Was fun, waited about 10 mins to get beer.
    Notorious was better than younger IMO, better nose, more balanced, booze was less noticeable. The evil twin dipa on Chardonnay barrels was a huge surprise, damn good!

hopsbreath likes this.
  7. "Notorious better than Younger". I would have to agree with this. Had Notorious on Feb 9 and am remembering Younger from the last 3 years. Go Oregon, go Boneyard!!

guajolote likes this.
  8. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Just curious...did anyone see my man A- at APEX?

guajolote likes this.
  9. Chou

Chou Aficionado (205) Oregon Apr 17, 2012

Glad my husband and I picked up a Notorious to go with our PtYs. Really enjoyed it. Yes, perhaps more that the Pliny. Proud of Oregon right there. I do believe everyone who was in line by 11:30 or even noon got a glass. Seemed like a nice mellow morning. Loved the cars slowing to ask the line what was going on.

And a hello to the PSU Prof. we talked to... hope to run into you at Occidental sometime!

10. Colloby

The interaction with passing drivers was funny. At least one driver, when told by the chorus that we were in line for beer, said "You have to line up for it now?". I liked how mellow the line was, with everyone waiting patiently and eventually making it away from the bar with several glasses of golden liquids. And I especially liked the chalk board that we saw later inside The Beermongers that said "Welcome, Pliny Whores"

Shmeal and goodbyeohio like this.
  11. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (430) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

I was a little disappointed by the amount of cutting in line. I would estimate at least 30 people joined up with "friends" while we waited just around the corner. Outside of that, things went smoothly. At some point, about 12:30, people started cycling back through for additional pours, but that was well after everyone had gotten at least one. And the tap list was far more impressive than last year. I was sitting with several BAs and got a chance to taste 6+ excellent DIPAs.

As for the Younger vs Notorious - that's tough. Notorious was absolutely better this year than 2012. But that was mostly because it was brewed to coincide with the release of Younger. I personally preferred the aroma of Younger, but thought Notorious was better tasting and finished better. But both were damn good. DFH was a sweet, syrupy mess in comparison.

12. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

120 doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Notorious & PtY. My opinion, of course.

66jzmstr, mfavoino, Gobigvt7 and 3 others like this.
  13. digita7693

but your opinion is right!

66jzmstr, Chou, guajolote and 2 others like this.
  14. Was 3rd in line. PtY was awesome as usual
    A-

15. RedMedicine

So by process of elimination, PtY will be tapped at Hop and Vine tomorrow (Monday)? Unless they changed their minds or I somehow missed it this weekend.

16. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

It's no grapefruity hop bomb but it's one of the best IPAs in the world. I wrote it off in my early beer career but the complexity is insane as well as its ability to be aged (weird, I know but until you've had one...)

17. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

That's awesome.

18. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

At least to me, 120 tastes more like a hopped up barleywine then a DIPA. My understanding is that they've tweaked the recipe over the years, and I agree it's more DIPA-like now than it was 10 years ago (back when it only came in a 750 ml bottle), but the beer is still incredibly sweet and boozy. Over time, the flavors seem to blend more together, with the beer (IMHO) tasting even more BW-like and less like a DIPA. So in that respect, I agree, the beer ages remarkably well.

Nothing against 120, but at least for me, there's just no place in my life or rotation for a beer that has as much alcohol as most ports, and packs in over 400 calories per 12 ounce serving. If I'm going to ingest that much alcohol and calories, I'd like to be able to do it over the course of an afternoon or evening (with a couple of pints of RPM or Blue Dot, for instance), rather doing it in just one serving.

19. Colloby

The 120 has 200 calories in a six ounce pour? No wonder my wife liked it so much!

20. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Unfortunately, Younger will not be tapped today, but sometime over the next week with no advanced notice. Keep an eye on The Hop & Vine's facebook/twitter to see when it's tapped. I'll also post it here. Breakside Barberhop Quartet IIPA is already on, and I'll be tapping Boneyard Notorious IIIPA and Russian River Sanctification 100% Brett at 3pm today (Monday). Double Mountain Molten Lava IIPA will also be tapped randomly sometime this week. Happy drinking!

21. Fully agree with the notorious is better than younger this year. Great sharing a beer with you, thanks for the conversation.

spillred likes this.
  22. digita7693

Wouldn't it be approx. 270 calories/ 6oz pour?

23. Horsebrass 6pm tonight
    A-

24. digita7693

I heard they aren't going to tap until 6:01pm now, you should start throwing a tantrum and cast wild aspersions.

25. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

I'll be there for sure. Hope to see some if you kind folks in attendance.

-G

26. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (355) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

I'll be the guy by myself not talking to anyone.

I look just like my avatar.

66jzmstr and Colloby like this.
  27. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Lies lies lies....u hippies can be quiet now.....;) I am sure he is going to call first.

black13 and oregone like this.
  28. ellswrth

$2.50 per 5 oz pour (first poured in a pitcher) - and not super crowded. I think it will last most of tonight.

29. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Oh, I know what it is. I've had it a few times both fresh & aged. Fresh it's a super hoppy, way-too-sweet, boozy mess. Aged it's a sweet, slightly less boozy mess that doesn't even resemble an IPA anymore. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. To each their own and whatnot, but I stand by my statement.

digita7693 likes this.
  30. RedMedicine

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise to get the bill. Horse Brass is killing it with the lack of advertising/hype and half the price of APEX.

31. RedMedicine

Just curious, do you mention that for any particular reason? Do you think it impacts quality of the beer?

Anyway, my impressions of PtY (this year) is: pretty good. Nose was lacking (due to tap->pitcher->tiny glass?), was a little bit hot, almost no lacing and appearance otherwise is pretty unremarkable. Did have a hell of a long awesome finish and no doubt is a finely brewed beer, but I just don't know if chasing it down and obsessing over it is worth it. I think everyone else is just catching up. I also wish I could've ordered a 10oz or 12oz glass and sat with it for a bit. It was vastly improved with some time and warmth. Can't complain about that price though.

I did notice that it absolutely wrecked my palate. The Hop Valley pale that I was drinking right before tasted like absolute shit after the PtY.

32. ellswrth

No, I only mentioned it as an observation. I would have preferred an 8 or 10 oz glass myself poured straight from the tap.

RedMedicine likes this.
  33. PDX... Bailey's Taproom Now!

Edit: kicked

34. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (350) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

Horse Brass was super chill this evening. It just might last until tomorrow. I love the 3 hour advance notice (or no notice in the case of Bailey's) on a Monday vs. a week in advance for a Saturday tapping.

Also, I give this thread not a B or even a B+, but an

A-

35. I hear wildwood is kicked already.

36. no way they got a full keg

37. RedMedicine

You heard right, 19 mins or so. 1/6 barrel I think. 8oz pours/$6. Tasted insanely better than HB last night and don't think that just me.

38. digita7693

Clean tap lines

teddyarrowhead likes this.
  39. RedMedicine

Yeah, I honestly think so. And it made all the difference in the world. Sick beer.

teddyarrowhead likes this.
  40. ellswrth