1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny the Younger

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by zymrgy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Higgins is encouraging people to eat at the restaurant before to get to be first in line. I wonder how much they'll have and whether it goes more than tonight's 20 minutes.
  2. Any chance to find it tonight?
  3. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (300) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

Just tapped PtY at the hop & vine as well as Double Mountain Molten Lava IIPA, joining Notorious & Breakside Barberhop Quartet w/ RR Sanctification as a bonus. Bring an extra palate.
    beefandbean22 likes this.
  4. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Higgins says gone in 10 mins. How the hell is that possible?
  5. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

They hyped it for a month + built-in PtY hype = gone in 10 mins! I'm not sure how that's not possible. For reference, see: Wildwood.
  6. I'm really glad I've gotten a chance to buy a glass again this year, because I'm pretty sure that next year is going to be even worse/barely worth the hassle. Or are other people thinking the same thing I am: RR is going to pull out of Oregon next, so I'd better get the beer now?
    Gobigvt7 likes this.
  7. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

You found plenty. Even left a 3/4 full glass on the bar when you disappeared!
    HuskyinPDX likes this.
  8. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

I have not had any PtY for a couple of years. I decided it is not worth the hassle. Back when it was causing less of a frenzy, I was fortunate to obtain some growlers of it from a friend in the Bay Area. Those days are not coming back.
  9. Colloby

Colloby Aficionado (105) Oregon Sep 19, 2009

I'm looking on this year's visit to the tapping at Apex as a one-time deal. PtY was good, but with so many other great beers out there, I don't feel the need to search for it every year.
  10. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I think that's the conclusion that most people come to after a while (particularly in a place as beer rich as PDX). Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very good beer, but increasingly the hassle of obtaining it is just not worth the effort. I could have tried it during the release at the brewpub in Santa Rosa, but even during the week, I would have had to stand in line for an hour or more, or arrive at the pub at least an hour before it opened. I just couldn't pull the trigger. There were just too many other things I wanted to do with my time that I thought were more interesting and enjoyable than standing in line for an hour to get a couple of glasses of younger.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  11. Gobigvt7

When it's hyped for months and tons of people show up early, it's all basically pre-sold so it "sells out" in the amount of time it takes simply to pour however many servings.
  12. For anyone wanting to stand in line some more for it.

Saravezas

"Pliny the Younger tickets will go on sale Sunday, March 17th - yes, it's St. Patrick's Day! Our doors will open at 11:00 am as usual. Come and enjoy some vintage Russian River draft and have lunch while you wait for your place in line to purchase your Younger ticket (ONE PER PERSON) next door at our Bad Habit Room beginning at 2:00 pm.

We will be selling 80 tickets total (ONE PER PERSON) at $7/each and the keg will be tapped on Monday, March 18th at 4:00 pm in Saraveza. Whatever is left of the keg will be raffled off at the end of the night."
  13. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

And Belmont Station rolls out their announcement:
    MONDAY MARCH 11 - WEDNESDAY MARCH 13 PLINY THE YOUNGER tapping (A FUNDRAISER FOR HABITAT FOR HUMANITY)
    Please read this carefully.
    This is a ticketed event. You must purchase a ticket in advance in order to get Pliny. The Biercafe will remain open to the public all 3 days so seats are first come first served but by limiting the number each day everything stays relaxed. A ticket entitles you to one glass of Russian River Pliny the Younger and one glass of Pliny the Elder. You can buy as many tickets as you want to share with friends but we will not serve more than one glass of each to any one individual in one day (these are strong beers folks and you are welcome to share!). Tickets are $13 (cash) or $13.50 (card) each with $6 donated to Habitat for Humanity Portland/MetroEast. You must buy tickets for either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. You can come in any time between 2PM and 10PM on the date of your ticket but you must come on that specific day. Tickets go on sale Friday March 8 @ 2:30PM. Don't worry, based on last year we expect them to last at least through Saturday, though we cannot guarantee it. This is not an official Habitat function, we just chose to send the $6 per ticket to this worthy cause.
  14. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Damn, you beat me to it...
  15. Yes, I got more that I should have! PtH on friday (Pliny the Hangover!)
  16. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Venti's Taphouse in Salem got a keg again this year, and I have to gripe about it again. They will tap Younger at an $80/plate (or maybe more this year -- price hasn't been set yet) beer dinner. They'll have 5 RR beers on tap, and their food is pretty decent, particularly for Salem, so that's fine I guess. Tickets will sell out fast for sure.

My major beef is that the event is April 29th, so they'll be sitting on this keg for two months before serving it. Surely not what RR intended. It's their keg and their prerogative on what to do with it, but I don't get why they don't put it on tap ASAP like pretty much every other place that gets it.

I'm lucky to have had Younger a couple of times. It's a good beer. And I'm more-or-less a regular at Venti's, so I appreciate what they are doing/have done for the Salem beer scene. However, I won't be attending this event. IMO, it's not worth the price of admission for a taste of potentially past-its-prime PtY.

Ok. Rant over.
    ramnuts likes this.
  17. Gobigvt7

Almost three months actually. wow.
  18. oregone

oregone Savant (365) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Yeah. That's pretty much nonsense. Book the dinner a couple weeks out. I can't imagine they still wouldn't sell enough tickets.
    They're not doing anyone any favors.
  19. mmciz

mmciz Aficionado (155) Oregon May 4, 2010

Has anyone seen anything that passes for madness this year? I have not. They tapped a keg around the corner from my office at 4:30 and no one I know wanted to bother. Think PtY might be losing some steam.
  20. Arizona got PtY?

o_O
  21. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Savant (265) Oregon Feb 11, 2013

Green Dragon should have a good portion of their keg left over from tonight. They will be pouring first thing at 11a tomorrow.
  22. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Ill never buy a raffle ticket to try and get a beer. PTY can corn hole itself.
  23. I didn't know Younger kegs came complete with the tickets.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  24. Lordkrystic

You're right the bar owners who raffle off beer can corn hole themselves.

Parkway in Tacoma gave away their last two six barrels as a thank you to their patrons.
  25. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Who was raffling tickets?

That's a cool gesture, and given the price of those kegs it was a fairly expensive way to say thank you.
  26. Lordkrystic

Saraveza I guess...ruffling off the rest of the keg. Bleh
  27. DarrenStory

I really liked how Green Dragon did their Younger event. $30 ticket in advance for 6 RR beers. Turned in into a brewer tasting and not just a mad dash to try a single beer. Everything was low key and plenty of seating. You got a punchcard and could try in any order.

Here's what you got.
    Consecration (6oz)
    Supplication (6oz)
    Damnation (6oz)
    Blind Pig (10oz)
    Pliny the Elder (6oz)
    Pliny the Younger (6oz)
  28. mmciz

mmciz Aficionado (155) Oregon May 4, 2010

Does it still say Arizona? Oughtta say SOUTHEAST PORTLAND, OREGON :)
  29. Chou

Chou Aficionado (205) Oregon Apr 17, 2012

Interesting; Roscoe's had it this year and County Cork claims it isn't getting any. I'm still suspicious that that is a ruse... ah well. Got mine at APEX. Check. Probably don't need to go after it again :/
  30. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

County Cork lost their RR connection from what I understand.
  31. I'm not sure about that. I've been there a few times in the last month and they've had either the elder or blind pig on tap.
  32. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I'm talking the big RR connection. Needless to say, I know they didn't get PtY this year. Which is a first in a hand full of years.
  33. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Sounds like that worked out for you, I just wasn't interested in drinking all of that beer in one sitting, but I don't mind the ticket idea. Belmont Station's method worked best for me this year. Wildwood was a bit of a mess and I probably wouldn't do that again, but it was the best pour. Horse Brass comes in last for me. 5oz pour for $2.50 isn't bad but it barely even tasted like PtY.
  34. DarrenStory

Not sure if everyone saw, but Saraveza will be selling tickets tomorrow for a release on Monday.
  35. SaravezA selling at 2pm, will sell out quick. But doors open 11am will have PtE tapped while waiting. I think $7 a glass, unknown of ounces. PtY taps monday 4-10pm.

Special thanks to the gentleman that gave us a FREE PtY & PtE ticket on Monday Night at Belmont Station. Literally sat down at table and he walked over and ask if we wanted a free tasting ticket for tonights session, hell yeah!

Had like 24oz of PtY @ APEX and another 6oz at Belmont. Last years batch way better but that keg was a week old. This keg i had was kegged 2/5/13 but tried 4.25-6weeks later. Definitely effects the PtY. sorta disappointed this year, but still a must try.

A-