1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pliny The Younger

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by RRtransvestification, Feb 27, 2013.

1. So I'm going to philly this weekend to finally try pliny the younger. Anyone want to share their first PTY experience?

2. Going to local 44?

Enjoy

3. MiScusi

MiScusi Advocate (600) California Feb 12, 2005

My first experience was 2007, and I didn't even taste it. Back then it obviously wasn't AS popular, but did have a cult following. Came across it at Strong Ale Fest in Pasadena (So Cal) and decided to pass it up for a Pizza Port Wipeout IPA and Oggi's Hop Juice if memory serves correct. 'Course I had only been into craft beer for a couple years at that point. The next year when I knew about it a little bit more I found it (there were no lines even 5 years ago) and had two 12oz chimay glasses of it at a little deli in Orange County and loved it (pic I took that day) (and the blog post I made). The next year that same deli served it half liter mugs, no limit. So awesome. After that it blew up and crowds became really big. Made a point to get some every year up until this year, now I will not bother with the lines.

4. HighWine

HighWine Savant (325) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Congrats, enjoy the experience! I went to RR last year for the release and was impressed that despite the overwhelming demand there was no price gouging. I think it was $4.50 for a 10 oz pour. i had two plus shared a RR sampler (21 additional beers). PTY made Elder and Blind Pig seem small. It's a good beer, I rated it a Top 5 DIPA for me and in my Top 100 overall.

kojevergas likes this.
  5. cincysig

cincysig Savant (340) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

My wife and I went out to Santa Rosa (from Massachusetts) a few weeks ago to try our first Youngers. We had been to Russian River before, but not for the Younger release. We waited in line for nearly three hours on a Thursday afternoon. We each enjoyed two glasses before the daily quantity was cut off. It was a blast!

We went back on Friday (when there were even longer lines) and were able to cut our wait time down significantly thanks to the help of some new friends. We went in and had two more glasses each. It was another great time with great people around us. We were able to secure one bar seat and make even more friends.

On Saturday, we attended the Double IPA Festival at The Bistro in Hayward. By the time we got there (three hours after the start), the Younger was spent. We missed it, but we had enough for our liking at Russian River.

As far as the actual beer goes, I would put Younger towards the top of my list. It's not at the very top (I don't know what is, quite frankly), but it's up there in the Top 10. I'm not a reviewer of beers, so I'm not going to speak to its technical qualities.

I can say without any reservation that the overall experience was well worth our efforts. I am very glad we went and I can cross that off my "beer bucket list."

ENJOY!

trentbrown89 likes this.
  6. The journey is better than the beer.

7. Had my first Elder tonight, thanks to a neighbor who just came back from Cali. Truly worth all the accolades. Can only imagine that Younger will impress just as much.

8. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

"An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit"
    -- PtY

jmalex, quetzal013, brystmar and 2 others like this.
  9. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

All of this delicious talk makes me want a Hop Stoopid.

10. Amerikon

Amerikon Savant (285) California Apr 17, 2008

I got married in Napa (in 2009) and had lunch at RR that day. I guess PtY hadn't blow up yet b/c it seemed like the brewpub wasn't very busy even just for a Saturday. I had it again in 2011 when they were first started rationing it. I don't think it's worth the lines but there are worse targets if you're going for a beer adventure.

11. That is fantastic. I had to look it up to believe that the quote came from PTY. This line rings so true for most beers I dream about trying for years and then finally get my hands on. Also to quote Stevicus from above "the journey is usually better than the beer." That is in no way talking down on PTY because I love the beer and have waited in line for it before and will do so again this year. But, the best part of an event like a PTY taping is being able to spend a few hours with like minded beer nerds and share world class beers with a room full of people that enjoy them as much as you do. Enjoy It!

brystmar and kotayk like this.
  12. The first time a Younger event was announced in Philadelphia was at Local 44 during the 2009(?) Philly Beer Week. I got there ten minutes before the announced tap time and the place was absolutely mobbed. It was gone in less than twenty minutes and I was completely shut out. Kind of bummed, I drove to Memphis Taproom(same owners as Local 44) for their no repeat beer week. They also had Younger tapped unannounced. The place was empty aside from myself and a few regulars. I drank a few glasses with no crowd or hassle and took a cab home.

13. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I had a pint of it at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena in 2005 or 2006. When I got home I posted a note about it in our homebrew club forum. It was still on a few days later, so I stopped by after work and had another 16 oz. pour. Absolutely delicious.

I haven't had any since 2009 or thereabouts. I hate fighting the crowds, so I don't.

14. Pleased to meet you, I'm number 2... :)

15. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Dat BA username...

16. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I'm also making it a point to go try this stuff this year! I never really actively hunted down really rare/hyped/hard-to-find, wait-in-long-lines beer until maybe 6 months ago. Of course, I would search for limited release stuff like Nugget Nectar or oak-aged Yeti variations, but those are pretty easy to find compared to stuff like PtY. Now I just wanna try everything! There's such a large list of beers I want to try, and PtY is definitely top 5. Am I becoming a ticker? I think I'm becoming a sort-of ticker...

I already have the date of when and where it's being tapped that I plan on going to, I just hope I don't have to stand in line for hours or pay upwards of $10 for a 6oz pour (although I will probably do both if that's the case). I figure it's worth doing at least once. Cheers!

17. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

"We waited in line for nearly three hours on a Thursday afternoon. We each enjoyed two glasses before the daily quantity was cut off. It was a blast!"

DOES... NOT.... COMPUTE....

18. John_M

This story is hilarious.

The GF and I also attended the Local 44 event back then. I didn't know that part of Philly very well, and I was afraid I might get there late. So we left our hotel extra early, and got there without difficulty, roughly 35 or 40 minutes before the place was supposed to open. Except guess what? It was already open; the bartender indicated that when they saw the folks already lined up outside some 45 minutes before opening bell, they went ahead and opened up early, given that it was a VERY cold morning. So we got right in and got a place at the end of the bar. I quickly ordered a glass of younger, elder and consecration. By the time I was done with my glass of younger, it was now 10 minutes before the planned opening, and the place was packed. So I ordered a second glass, and started contemplating how I was going to get out once I was done with my second glass of younger.

The funny thing is, I was with another BA friend (Dyan from DC), and someone shot him a text, telling him about the Memphis taproom event. So we left Local 44 and headed on over there. As Corby112 mentioned, the place was almost empty, and my initial assumption was that Dyan had gotten wrong information. However, when we went inside, we found out it was all true, and I sat down and had a couple more glasses of younger. I was strongly tempted to order another one or two, but my coherence level was already pretty impaired, and the GF was giving me a look that I knew all too well (I'd already given her the keys). I've had younger a number of times before and after that occasion, but that's the event that I always recall with fondness. The beer karma gods were definitely smiling down upon us on that day.

theGlasstronaut and cjoc83 like this.
  19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

i'd love to check out PtY...is there any way to find out where and when it will be tapped? as a non-local, i need to do some planning if i am to taste it.

20. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

you should follow this thread instead: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/yes-sepa-folks-its-that-time-of-year-pty-thread.69233/

the philly tap finder blog has been posting the announced ones as well. obviously those will be pretty packed but if you're coming down from LI that might be your best bet.

cosmicevan likes this.
  21. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I have had it 2 or 3 times over the years. honestly ,it is good . However, I think there are many beers out there now that I would consider better. (Unfortunately, they too are hard to obtain in NJ).

22. Are you gonna head out there for this?

23. I'm going down from LI this weekend. I'm probably going to go to city tap house and bishop's collar to get it but I'd love to find out about spots that aren't so well known.

24. Thats funny, I was actually supposed to meet up with Dyan for a trade which never happened (alot to do with that coherence level thing), I think he did tell me about Memphis Taproom had it and we walked in probably shortly after you guys did and sat down for a few more. I liked that outcome alot more than years since.

25. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

I'm contemplating doing it to for the day trip.

cosmicevan likes this.
  26. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

Should we all carpool?

cosmicevan likes this.
  27. If you really want PTY you can go to the Monk's event. They get a half and sell it for $10 a glass which goes to the Alex's Lemonade charity. Last year they had younger on tap well into the 2nd day.

28. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

i have a small child and weekends fill up fast, but if i plan far enough in advance i could go but would need to come back same day. not looking great for me this year, but i am still hopeful. when you guys thinking of going? if i can join ya, i'd definitely be down.

29. quetzal013

quetzal013 Savant (250) California Feb 16, 2011

Koyayk, nice... you sent me on a quote finding mission. I found a gem from PtE that could easily apply to the beer world... “no book was so bad but that some good might be got out of it.” --PtE

Cheers buddy, I hope you are drinking good beer out of Russell's teapot. #hashtag

30. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

I had PtY at Tria last night...They sold 10oz pours online for ~10 bucks and you could come in and get your Pliny anytime between Noon and Midnight. Seems like a good way to keep the crowds down.

corby112 likes this.
  31. I will be in Philly (burbs) this Friday until Sunday, would love to finally try PTY, but all I can see online is Sidecar offering 50 tickets on friday...seems like there's no way I'll get one of those without showing up many, many hours in advance and standing on the street all day. Anyone in the know wanna clue me in on any thus-far undisclosed spots? Particularly outside city limits?

Didn't think so! I imagine there will be a huge line at Sidecar and a lot of folks will go away unhappy. Oh well, maybe one day I'll make it to RR and have this in a little more relaxed setting.

32. John_M

"Oh well, maybe one day I'll make it to RR and have this in a little more relaxed setting."

Good luck with that. I was out there during the younger release, and the relaxed setting you refer to no longer exists. I stopped by the RR brewpub around 2:15 on a Wednesday, and there were still roughly 100 people in line waiting to get in. I couldn't believe my eyes (and I also quickly decided I didn't want younger that badly). Based on posts I read in the Pacific forum, your best bet was to get to the brewpub roughly an hour or so before opening (there was a line waiting to get in every day, apparently).

My point being, that no matter where you go these days, if younger is on tap, there's is going to be a line and a crowd.

33. Thanks John...I guess I'll have to just luck into this someday. Going to Philly on some fairly important family business and while I can sneak off for a while there's just no way I'll be able to wait all day on a line outside a bar on the very small chance I MIGHT get a ticket to buy a glass of beer. I've had Heady, Elder, Abner, Ephraim, Duet, Nelson, Double Sunshine, etc, etc, etc, so there seems like even if I did get a chance to have a glass it wouldn't be likely to seem worth the wait. Would love to try it but not in those circumstances.

34. John_M

I hear you. I'm going to be in Philly this weekend myself, and of course would love to be able to try some younger. However, based on everything I've read this year, it doesn't seem likely that I'm going to happen upon it, and I'm expecting a huge crowd any place that's announced they're going to have it. At this point, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm not going to be able to try it this year. Oh well...

35. xnicknj

if monk's is similar to last year (it lasted all day, maybe into Tuesday), you guys might be able to swing by there later on Monday and grab a glass, especially if its $15 or whatever again. the mess that shows up at 1030 will be long gone by then.

36. If you don't mind my asking, how long did the "mess" last? Through the lunch hour?

37. John_M

Not going to help me, unfortunately. I have to drive back to Morgantown that Sunday.

Appreciate the tip though...

38. xnicknj

pretty much, yeah. the tables fill up and the bar area gets pretty ridiculous for a couple hours. if i had to do it again i'd probably show up later in the afternoon so i could actually get a seat and not have to wait 30 minutes for a beer.

comfortablynirm likes this.
  39. beast464

beast464 Savant (300) Maryland Apr 6, 2008

Went to Blue Dog Chalfont in 2010 and 2011. Their events seem to be low key usually but it is a little ways out of the city.

40. Had one at TJ's today. They announced it on twitter and their sixtel was kicked in about 50 minutes. Solid beer, was great that I could walk in the door, order a Pliny from the waitress and have it sitting on my table 5 minutes later. After trying it, I would say that no, I would not bother waiting 3 hours in line for a glass of the stuff, but yeah it sure was tasty.