Point Brewery's New IPA

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Ri0, May 3, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Made with Glaxay Hops. Oh shi... We could have a new contender in WI.
    [​IMG]

Benish and WolfKeeper like this.
  2. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Its fucking point, of course it wont contend, ill tick it anyways though.

3. Ri0

You know, if it is a single hopped IPA using Galaxy Hops I have hope.

jRocco2021 and smurfbeer like this.
  4. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

whats so much better about galaxy hops than cascade hops? Point has a cascade pale ale that is swill.

5. Ri0

Well...

Cascade is more flowery, spicey, and has grapefruit characteristics.

Galaxy has a more mellow peach and tropical flavor.

I guess it all depends how much and when they are added. You could ask what is the difference between many varieties of hops, but there is depending on how they are used? I know Point makes average and below average beers, but I'll reserve judgement until I at least try it.

6. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (285) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

Agree! I absolutely love galaxy hops and I'm going to remain optimistic until I have an opportunity to try this one. If this ends up being pretty good, I think 12 oz cans of this may become one of my new best friends this Summer.

7. Ri0

Anyone try this now that it is out?

8. Ri0

Bought a 6pk. So... If you think of this as an APA, I think you will enjoy it. It's 65 IBU and 6.5% ABV, so not in your face and the malts are light. Easy drinking and for $12/12pk it is a pretty good go to beer in the summer. I'm sure others will say it's crap, but I kinda enjoy it. That is saying a lot considering I don't like Point beer.

9. Ri0

Yo, would some of you WI BA's buy this and rate it (only $6 for a 6pk)? I want to know what you think? It is becoming a guilty pleasure of mine, but maybe it is a solid beer?

10. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

The point whole hog beers are really good actually especially the RIS. This definitely has potential though.

Gotti311 likes this.
  11. I had one the other night, and while Galaxy isn't one of my favorite new-ish hops, I thought it was a solid beer. Maybe even excellent when you consider the price.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  12. Lots of Point hate ITT. They have some decent beers. 2012 and Nude beach are solid.

WolfKeeper likes this.
  13. Ri0

Did you try it yet? Only one person in here really expressed a hate for Point.

14. Ok shouldnt say hate, but you yourself said it was sqying a lot because you dont like Point. I havent tried this yet, but I will at some point lol

15. Benish

Benish Advocate (520) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

How does it compare to Capital Mutiny? Not sure what hops used for Mutiny but its a solid IPA. I'm a UW-SP graduate so I'll try it sometime for sure and write up a review. Last time I was at the store it was not there so it will have to wait.

16. Ri0

I've had both and there is a much greater malt presence in Mutiny to go along with the hops compared to Beyond. I liken Beyond the Pale to Founders All Day IPA or Lagunitas Day Time IPA, except I would rather drink Point because I enjoy the Galaxy hops.

smurfbeer likes this.
  17. Ri0

Yes, I don't like Point because there are easily better examples available for the beer they brew.
    Examples:
    Cascade Pale, I'd much rather drink Moon Man or Hopalicious.
    2012, rather drink Blacktop
    Amber, so many other Amber's to choose from that are much better
    you get the idea...

This is the first Galaxy hopped IPA that I know I can find easily in WI, so it is very enjoyable.

18. 2012 isnt actually a black ale, they just label it that way, but I understand where your coming from. It may be the best brown ale made in Wisconsin though. Beer advocate considers it a brown ale, and to me it tastes like a schwartzbier. Anyway, I doubt that I'll be a fan if it tastes like a pale ale. I like a good ipa or dipa but have found many pale ales that I enjoyed.

19. Big fan of 2012 and Nude Beach as well. I was buying it regularly for 8.99 a 12-pack for cans in the NW burbs, and it was a staple in my fridge last year. Can't wait to try this new beer from Point!

BrownAleMale likes this.
  20. You sir are out of control!

JK, however I would not call Point Cascade Pale swill.... for $10 a 12 pack it is a great beer to buy and have available for guests at a BBQ of something of that nature. Personally I would grab a Moon Man every time but in no way is it swill... Minhas beers are swill, Point beers are a decent option.

21. their whole hog pumpkin beer was AMAZING, everything else I've had by them has been meh.

However there salesman for my region is awesome

22. Ri0

Riley's in Madison finally got this beer this weekend. Not sure why it took so long.

23. Benish

Did Point cost the same as all other Points?

24. Ri0

Yes, shouldn't be more than $7 for 6pk.

25. Coincidence?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Drinking some now. Definitely does not compare to the Fractional IPA from Lagunitas (although that one is pretty hard to live up to), although I do like it more than the All Day IPA from Founders (which I felt had an amazing aroma but was totally lacking in the body and flavor departments). It has a pleasant papaya/mago skin/tropical fruit aroma with a bold hop forward flavor (albeit verging on unbalanced).

27. Ri0

I liked Point better than Lagunitas Day Time, but I agree it lacks balance. Still tastes very good.

28. Where can I find some this Lagunitas Day Time/Fractional IPA in Madison?

29. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Point Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale is phenomenal. I liked the RIS too, but the pumpkin ale is something special!

nicnut45 and nickapalooza86 like this.
  30. Just got a sixer in Lake County, IL. Love it!

Ri0 likes this.
  31. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (285) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

Anyone find this in cans? Hoping cans hit the market before my golf trip in two weeks. Big fan of this one!

32. Ri0

So I just had an epiphany with this Point Beyond the Pale. It is pretty heavy on the Galaxy hops and that is good. I bought some Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jacksin and forgot just how sweet the middle of it is. So I decided to mix the Beyond the Pale and Satisfaction half and half. Wow, it really created a nice IIPA!

Now I'm thinking I should mix the BTP into some Ambers to hop them up! Since it is so inexpensive, I think I will be using it to create some awesome beer. I may have to hop up some Pilseners as well!

33. Ri0

Two new IPA's from Point coming soon. One Shot will be a limited beer and White IPA will use Sorachi Ace hops. Interesting to see Point adding to their IPA profile. I enjoyed Beyond the Pale and will try both of these when they are available on shelves. The price is typically $7/6.

jRocco2021 and Benish like this.
  34. Wonder if its just a renaming thing. The onyx looks just like the 2012 label.

35. Ri0

The IPA's are new. The Onyx is a rename for 2012 and will now be in cans.

36. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I drink the piss out of Beyond the Pale. It's amazing.
    Every damn time I see it, I buy some.

I love the crap out of it, and it's $5.99/6-pack all over Milwaukee and/or N. Illinois (outside of Chicagoland).

Some people turn their noses up at point because of its pricing. New Glarus is only $1 more per 6-pack...so...
    I tend to ignore the kinds of people who shop for bier based on prices. They can drop $9 on a bomber of some West Coast IPA and feel smug (sorry, my hipster rage gets the best of me sometimes). More Beyond the Pale for me, haha

FWIW, Their Amber is a favorite when I crave something malty. 2012 is also good. Whole Hog are very, very solid. But this "Beyond the Pale" is amazing. I think I have at least 9 bottles on hand right now, sitting next to my Two Brothers "Revelry" for the days I crave hoppiness, hahah

If someone tries to make you feel bad for drinking a "budget" bier, it's probably time to take a break from the BA forums, hahah. I recently had two very solid LEINENKUGEL biers, hahah. I have an industrial grade flamesuit!

Redrover likes this.
  37. I still wish this made it in cans.

38. Ri0

And the new IPA sampler is available. I picked up one of each to try.
    [​IMG]

L-ski likes this.
  39. jimblobf

jimblobf Aspirant (25) Wisconsin Oct 1, 2013

Im really interested in the new IPA variety pack considering its cheap and they do make it sound pretty darn good. Hoping to hear what you think so I can pick it up and support my local brewery

40. Benish

Is this going to be around or once it's gone it's gone?