1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Poll: Beer and the seven deadly sins

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Aug 8, 2013.

?

Which of the seven deadly sins do people commit the most in the name of beer?

1. Wrath

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Greed

55 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Sloth

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Pride

22 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. Lust

47 vote(s)
    28.0%
  6. Envy

41 vote(s)
    24.4%
  7. Gluttony

101 vote(s)
    60.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

We all love beer, but let's face it. When people lose perspective, beer culture can also bring out some of the worst aspects of human behavior. So, in the interest of discussing a topic that (as far as I know) has never before been posted on BA... Which of the seven deadly sins are people most guilty of committing when it comes to beer? I'm going to allow multiple votes just to keep things interesting. Cheers!

EDIT: To clarify (and hopefully placate the mods a bit), I'm talking about "sins" here not so much in a strictly religious sense as in a social "undesirable behavior" sense. :)
  2. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Depends on which release it is, and if we have the beer or are looking for it.

Might be quiet thread due to wrath at the moment...
    jaxon53 likes this.
  3. Envy, simply because of the hauls thread!
    joaopmgoncalves likes this.
  4. One could really apply all of the sins to various aspects of beer culture. For example...

Wrath: "WHAT THIS PLINY YOU TRADED ME IS ONE MONTH OLD FUCK YOU"

Greed: "Oh look, a case of KBS, no bottle limit...ALL MINE NOW!"

Sloth: "I've had too much...I think I'll take a nap for a bit *sleeps for 10 hours*"

Pride: "Look at my case of KBS, everyone's gonna be so jealous of all the trades I'll win in the future"

Lust: "I could write poems about how damn tasty you are, KBS."

Envy: "WAT? My next door neighbor has TWO cases of KBS?!"

Gluttony: "Ooh, I think I'll drink an entire 4 pack of KBS tonight"
  5. gluttony, because i can't drink just one beer.
    joaopmgoncalves likes this.
  6. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Gluttony is my vote. Of course that is me projecting :)
    JamesShoemaker and brian4beer like this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I went gluttony, pride, and greed.
    Gluttony: I can't keep a well stocked cellar simply because I drink the shit up. (this is really me)
    Pride: I think the beers in my cellar are worth more than the beers in yours.
    Greed: I want to get as much of your cellar as I can with as little of mine as possible.
  8. Lust, gluttony and wrath. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't go to the right pubs.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  9. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

LOL - was working on this kind of thing...yours is way better!

But you can combine them all too:

"I'll hire a guy to go buy two more cases of KBS for me because then I'll have three and neighbor has two so look at me, big man on campus again. Plus I will be taking a nap because I drank my whole four pack of KBS from the case I purchased with no bottle limit and I am exhausted from the creative effort of KBS love sonnet writing and I only had to drink the KBS because some dickweed sent me a month old Pliny in the first place...wait...what? Neighbor just scored Cantillon...the bastard..."
    Stevedore and ThisWangsChung like this.
  10. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Wrath and gluttony because I find that I pout if I drain pour so that's kind of wrathy. And gluttony because I have to have to try all the beer.
    joaopmgoncalves and ScottyG like this.
  11. For consumers it is gluttony, in my case, I want to try every damn beer available to me.

For brewers, it's greed most definetly
  12. 1fJef

1fJef Aficionado (175) Maryland May 4, 2013

Dude I gotta read your beer reviews
  13. My name is carteravebrew and I am not an alcoholic; I am a "beer glutton."

Nah, seriously though, I need to lay off the sauce a bit.
    AlienSwineFlu likes this.
  14. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (375) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

Envy for me. I think it also brings out the good in a lot of people. My favorite thing about the craft beer community is the generosity of so many people that are a part of it. I have been completely astounded by the good-will of a couple forum members on here toward me, and I always try to pay it forward. PtE is next to impossible to acquire anywhere within 500 miles of me, and when a forum member here sent me one (as a gift, mind you) I couldn't even dream of drinking it by myself. First thing I did was text a couple of my craft beer friends to come share it, and they do the same for me. I think that's awesome.
    utopiajane likes this.
  15. draheim

Totally agree that the good outweighs the bad, I just wanted to look at things from a unique angle.
    What's a board member?
  16. As I was putting down a Rodenbach Grand Cru last night- not sipping it, but taking generous gulps and enjoying every second of it- I figured how nice it is to ride the wave of gluttony every once in a while.
  17. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (375) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

Sorry, meant forum member. I meant board member as in "discussion board member". Possibly an outdated term now, ha. I'm relatively new to this site, I think you guys actually refer to eachother as "BAs" now that I think about it...
  18. Ah yes. Reminds me of the time I killed an entire 750 of Rodenbach GC - and wishing I had another 750 to kill.

God bless Gluttony™.
    TongoRad likes this.
  19. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I voted gluttony due to getting fat and becoming alcoholics. But this was a really great Poll and all seven sins were in the running. Most creative and fun post I have seen on here in a while.
  20. So, for something consumable, like beer, it would seem that Gluttony, Greed and Lust are all different sides of the same coin...

...err, three-sided coin.

Greed is about obtaining said beer. Gluttony is about drinking said beer. And Lust is about pining for more, having just finished said beer.
    cavedave, utopiajane and TongoRad like this.
  21. draheim

Agree, but I'd put it somewhat differently. Lust is about wanting the beer, if not outright obsessing about it. Greed is about acquiring more of it than you need. And gluttony is about drinking it to excess.
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  22. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Oh dear. It appears I have lusted also.
  23. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

In light of the recent talk of "Walz" vs. readily available beers... I just might say lust, and greed.
  24. Gluttony seems most appropriate to me.
  25. IKR

IKR Savant (310) California May 25, 2010

Going with lust and envy. Announce any new hyped beer or availability of a highly coveted beer and watch the posts fly about how I have to have XXXX beer no matter if it's a style their reviews of hads indicates they don't like. Let people strike out in obtaining XXXX beer and watch the haterism flow against those who have it. Entertaining shit though.
  26. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I chose sloth because it relates to laziness which can happen after having TOO many cold ones.
  27. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

In BMC land I'm pretty sure it's sloth.
  28. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Weird. I was just thinking about this yesterday.