Poll: Bottle or Can?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Greywulfken, Feb 9, 2015.

?

What's your preference: can or bottle?

1. Can

68.0%
  2. Bottle

32.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

If I am at home it really doesn't matter because I am pouring into a glass anyway. But for most cases, if I am traveling, going to the pool, river, beach, sneaking beers into the movie theater, ect., I would prefer cans. For me they are just easier to carry around and if I drop one its not going to make a big scene, unless it explodes of course.

2. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2014 Indiana

Unfortunately no breweries around me do Crowlers. I've gotten one in a trade before, and it was awesome. Something about a holding a 32oz can just felt right. Then again I feel the same way about bombers... If I could vote both I would, cans for some beers, bottles for others.

Greywulfken likes this.
  3. PostRockandCats

PostRockandCats Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Florida

I got one for myself when I went to Tampa for my Birthday; we went to Cigar City Brewery. It was oddly large, yet totally right. I wish their 110k was available in a crowler...

Greywulfken and BigRedDog like this.
  4. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Grand Pooh-Bah (3,817) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Cans for all beers. Pounder cans too. Canned IPAs taste great fresh but do fall off when forgotten in the back of the beer fridge.

frozen-1984 and Greywulfken like this.
  5. salazaro44

salazaro44 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2011 California

I don't care. I always pour my beer into glassware but sometimes I'm just in the mood to drink a good beer straight out of the can.

Premo88 and Brolo75 like this.
  6. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

Beer in a 5 gallon pail and you only get one empty that you can get refilled.

Jimmy_Melnarik likes this.
  7. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I'm about 4 hours from the brewery and I see a lot of old Firestone beers in my area. The freshest Union Jack I have found was about 2 weeks old, Double Jack had about a month on it as the freshest ever. I think Union Jack, Double Jack, and Double Barrel Ale are great beers fresh but it's really difficult to find fresh Firestone. I know a gas station that for some unknown reason blows through Union Jack and they usually have the freshest dates. I'm snatching Union Jack in cans as soon as I see them. Bitch slaps everywhere!

Greywulfken and TongoRad like this.
  8. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

"Just clap your hands"

9. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Curious of the number of people who voted Can are the same that complain that craft doesn't get the same praise and respect as wine.

10. qchic

qchic Maven (1,303) Jul 6, 2004 Maryland

So far (knock on wood), I've had no mishaps with cans. I know they're not indestructible, but I've experienced broken and leaky glass bottles. Besides lost beer, I had to pay a $100 detailing fee for a rental car. Granted that time it was a 750ml, so no chance for a canned option. Also, I don't know about sours in cans.

Greywulfken likes this.
  11. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Pooh-Bah (1,700) Jan 19, 2013 Canada (NB)

Personally, I am in a neutral position in the "Bottles vs. Cans" argument but I do tend to swing towards bottles. There is something appealing about bottles that I can't quite put my finger on. The only time when I purposely choose a can over a bottle is when I want to bring beer camping/hiking being that they are much easier to pack.

Cans definitely do have a leg up on bottles in terms of keeping out light and oxygen but since I have yet to cellar any beer, those benefits don't much concern me.

Greywulfken likes this.
  12. stosh66

stosh66 Crusader (412) Jan 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

after having Two Hearted and Sculpin in bottles and cans…….cans wins!

Scrapss, Greywulfken and riverlen like this.
  13. PostRockandCats

Love both wine and beer. Both get undue crap from each other. I also like bourbon... but whatever. You like what you like, to hell with anyone else. Coors to Heady Topper, cheap wine to fancy pants wine... rock it.

BeerBob and Greywulfken like this.
  14. DoubleSimcoe

DoubleSimcoe Pooh-Bah (2,705) Jan 7, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Between a bottle and a can, I'll take the BEER!

riverlen, tvoss99 and PostRockandCats like this.
  15. PostRockandCats

No lies detected!

BeerBob, riverlen and DoubleSimcoe like this.
  16. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma
    In Memoriam

Bottles look cooler, but can art is better. (wtf)? hell, I pour it all into a Dixie cup anyways, so it don't matter.

Greywulfken and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  17. OKbrew89

OKbrew89 Maven (1,308) May 13, 2013 Oklahoma

I used to say bottles but a lot of breweries are switching to cans that don't leave nasty aftertaste. Plus, cans are easier to transport and recycle.

Greywulfken and riverlen like this.
  18. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

16 ounce can to be specific

Scrapss, miketd, frozen-1984 and 3 others like this.
  19. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma
    In Memoriam

Yes, sir. If all beer came in a tallboy 16 oz can, I would have no quarrels with it. The perfect vessel.

20. humuloner22

humuloner22 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 North Carolina

I generally like cans for lighter beers and stuff that you intend to drink a few of. Now for special releases I still prefer bottles. I mean I saw someone put BCBS in a can. Really? I think in general stouts taste better out of a bottle. Totally psychological from my perspective, and I always pour a stout into a glass out of the bottle. As far as I am concerned all IPA's, lagers, Pale Ales, and some other lighter "warm weather" beers, like Gose should always be offered in a can. They are meant to be consumed colder, they fit coolers easier, they are easier to transport and many music festivals do not allow glass, so if you are into that scene and you want your favorite IPA, it had better come in a can! Save the glass for the more robust beers.

Greywulfken likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.