1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Poll: How often do you check BA before buying a new beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ao125, Dec 20, 2012.

?

How often do you check BA before buying a new beer?

1. Always

93 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Sometimes

198 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. Only if I've never had anything from that brewery before

56 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. Never (I like spinning the wheel on beer roulette)

43 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. Typically I don't like reviews swaying my vote. There are many beers I love that have subpar BA ratings (~3.5), and there are some beers I loathe that are considered the holy grail.

The only time I will really consult BA is if I am deciding to make a lengthy brewery trip to try something. In that case it is usually the BA referencing that inspires the trip in the first place anyways!
  2. I don't. I like to experience new things for myself without having my perceptions influenced by outside sources.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  3. I would never see a beer in a store or bar and look it up on BA. I do look for beers i found out about on BA.
  4. Never. I like buying things I've never tried and only check BA after I've already bought it
  5. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (370) Ohio May 13, 2008

It's interesting when I see people mention reviews swaying their opinion. I agree this can and does happen but so many other things can sway your vote as well. Packaging is a biggie, word of mouth, visuals, the allure (rarity) I think the best way to really know what you like is to do blind tastings and verticals. It's fun and you might be surprised in your final assessment.
  6. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

This. I rarely look at any ratings/reviews. However since joining this site I have used the Top 100 as recommendations for beers to be on the lookout for; it's helped me discover some great brews that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.
  7. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Most of the time, which should be an option.
  8. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

Yes I sometimes do, but I'd do it every time if I had a cool mobile app that would scan the UPC or label. Thinking of that does google goggles return BA links for beer photos?
  9. I would say I always check but mainly for beer style because some beers arent to clear on that. I am not a huge fan of user reviews on anything so unless a beer got a very bad rating Ill get it.
  10. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

There are too many beers out there that are good to waste time on ones that are not. I check BA often.