1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Poll: In what order do you taste your beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YCantWeNotBeSober, Jan 31, 2013.

?

In what order do you taste your beers?

1. Light to Dark

32.7%
  2. Low ABV to High ABV

12.7%
  3. Less Flavor to More Flavor

25.5%
  4. Rarest to Cheapest (to avoid being "too drunk to taste this chicken")

29.1%
  1. maybe a noob question, maybe it depends on the variety of beers (same style vs. different styles). But, I've seen a few different methods, all with valid reasoning and wondering what makes the most sense to you and ultimately what order allows you to get the greatest value out of a tasting.

2. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (600) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I go somewhat in range from least bitter to most bitter or low ABV to high abv. I'll generally drink an IPA after an Imperial stout (non barrel aged). I find real hoppy bitter beers tend to mess ur palate up before trying other beers.

kneary13 likes this.
  3. I personally drink based on what I think will be complexity/flavor (low to high), which more often than not, coincides with ABV.

sunkistxsudafed likes this.
  4. Swervine44

Swervine44 Savant (265) California Mar 24, 2011

I've been pondering this lately too. I used to do light to dark, then somebody told me the hops can wreck your palate for the other beers. Would like to see peoples responses on where they put hoppy beers in the lineup.

5. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Why is there no option for "Completely at random"?

cavedave likes this.
  6. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Less hoppy to more hoppy

7. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

You left out high abv to low abv. Usually works out that way for me.

cavedave likes this.
  8. none of the above for me i drink what i like when the mood fits

9. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I drink in alphabetical order.

10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Okay I picked lighter to stronger flavored, but this question is
    1. A good question
    2. A question with a multiplicity of answers much as, and because of, a multiplicity of beer styles. Non barrel first, barrel second. Non coffee porter and stout before coffee. Or after? Much depends on much. A question in more specific form that has always gotten a wide and varying response, I expect this one will also.

11. I chose rarest to cheapest but it really just depends who I'm with, what time of day, and whether there's food or not.

Lightest to darkest seems silly to me.

12. Usually low abv to high abv but even that can change depending on mood, etc. All i know is i like last beer of the night (especially during the cold months) to be an imperial stout or porter.

13. In whatever order I feel like.

RobertColianni likes this.
  14. I usually like to start out with IPAs and than have a stout/porter or two as kind of like a dessert. I know I should probably go with less hoppy beers to start to avoid palate issues. But this works for me.

15. From those choices, less flavor to more flavor. That's the best way to taste.

16. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

From the top of the glass to the bottom

17. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

None of these. When I drink more than one, I usually start before dinner...something full-flavored and higher ABV (saisson, IPA, begian ale, or my favorite...Nugget Nectar).

Then if I'm not coninuing with what I started with during the meal, I switch to something with a lower ABV...something I can generally drink more of to wash down my food. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (or celebration ale), Prima Pils, or Wiehenstephaner Original are all perfect for this.

If I'm not drinking beer with any food and am having more than one, I try to stick to the same beer.

18. If there is one i've never had before i drink it first. Otherwise random.

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I like to go from low to high flavor, but if there is a rare beer that needs tasting it needs be tried before my palate has been roughed up. So a mix of the last two options.