1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Poll: What's your favorite beer style for barrel aging?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Feb 15, 2013.

?

If you could only drink barrel-aged beers of one main style, which style would you choose?

1. American Strong Ale

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Barleywine/Old Ale

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Belgian Strong Dark Ale/Quad

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Belgian Strong Pale Ale/Tripel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lambic/Sour/Wild

17 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. Porter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Saison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Scotch/Wee Heavy

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. Stout

58 vote(s)
    51.8%
  10. Other

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

If you could only drink barrel-aged beers of one main style, which style would you choose? In other words, which style do you think lends itself best to enhancement from the barrel-aging process? Why?

This is not a scientific poll as I wasn't able to capture all the styles that are customarily aged in bourbon, whisky, wine, or other types of barrels. But I did try to include the most common styles that I'm aware are given the barrel treatment, and left a failsafe "other" option in case I missed any.

Vote and discuss. Cheers!
  2. I voted stout, but it was very close between stout an barley wine
  3. BA Barleywine's have the biggest improvement from the non-BA counterparts for my palette, so I picked that.

I like barrel aged Stouts and Barleywines equally. While I would much prefer a non-BA Stout over a non-BA Barleywine.
  4. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

As much as I love ba impy stouts, bb is probably my favorite beer ever, so I gotta go with scotch ale. I'm drinking a King Henry now, though, and it's making me think I gotta try more bal bws.
  5. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Not sure if I would include lambics/wild ales on here. Lambics are necessarily aged in oak, so barrel-aging really isn't a modification on the style (in most cases). I suppose the type of barrel matters more for American wild ales, as the spirit/wine previously kept in the barrel sometimes figures prominently in the flavor profile, unlike most lambics.

As to "clean" styles, I would definitely choose barleywine. There's really nothing like a good bourbon barrel-aged barleywine.
    woosterbill likes this.
  6. Barleywines. The base beers blend the best, IMO, with the flavors of bourbon. Stouts seem to be stacked, if you get what I mean.
  7. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

I'll agree with the lambic sentiment. If the beer has to be aged in wood, it shouldn't count.

While I enjoy many non-BA barleywines, this is the style that I believe benefits the most from wood. A BA BW is a whole different beast than a non-BA BW. I don't believe that any of the non-BA BWs I've had could be described as among the best beers I've ever had, but Sucaba certainly could.
  8. "My favorite style is BA IPA!"

/said no one ever.

Jokes aside I haven't had many BA IPAs but the one's I've had haven't been very good. Looking forward to trying Founder's Doom though.

9. 2 nights ago I had DFH burton baton which I believe is classified as a barrel aged ipa. Thought it was absolutely fantastic.....that being said, I get what your saying.
  10. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (630) Florida Feb 16, 2012

I have to second the Burton Baton suggestion (though it's a mixture of 90 minute and a barrel aged Old Ale). From there, I would also suggest checking out White Oak Jai Alai.

Not a fan at all of Oaked Unearthly, or some of the other oaked IPAs. Those that can do it and still balance in the hop flavor are my favorite. Unearthly seemed to be all oak.
    Hermthegerm likes this.
  11. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Cedar Aged Jai Alai w/ Peaches. This is the best IPA I've ever had. Better than Heady, ZD, Nelson, you name it.
  12. True I forgot about Burton Baton, love it. Cedar Jai Alai was good but I prefer the regular. Hop Crisis was decent. Oaked Unearthly was horrible. Not a fan of Oak Arrogant Bastard either. I haven't tried White Oak Jai Alai but I've heard great things.
  13. Hmmm interesting. I've had Cedar Aged and I've had the peach version but never heard of the combination. If they ever growler it I'll seek it out.
    CityofBals likes this.
  14. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I think the poll is a little ambiguous. My answer would be very different if we're talking about bourbon barrels as opposed to white wine barrels. Bourbon barrel barleywines are one of my favorite styles, though, so I went with that.
  15. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Good point. I was trying to capture the widest variety possible given the contraints of the polling system, but probably should have included IPA/DIPA instead. I'm surprised so far that it's not closer between stouts and barleywines, I expected it to be split pretty evenly between those two.
    Yeah, I did that on purpose. Some of my favorite barrel-aged beers are aged in wine barrels, so I wanted to keep it as broad and open to interpretation as possible.
    Etan likes this.
  16. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

Of course my biases make me say stout... that being said, barleywines do very well in barrels as well.
  17. I've actually had a double IPA aged in a Palm Ridge whiskey barrel (same whiskey as rare dos) and thought it was beyond good. It was Green Room that did it with their Double-Overhead IPA.
  18. Stouts or porters for me.
  19. parris

parris Savant (270) Massachusetts Jan 18, 2010

I picked up a barrel aged Chelada, was great, does that count as a style by itself?
  20. I recognize and agree with the fact that barleywines have the most to gain from bourbon barrel aging, but I foremost enjoy BBA stouts the most, so that got my vote. I also like stouts better than barleywines though... so take from it what you will.
  21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Gumballhead.
  22. Wow, I was only 1/5 votes for scotch ale? Anyone else love Backwoods? Porter wad my 2nd choice.
  23. This sums up exactly what I was going to post. I voted for Lambic, since it's my favorite style, but the style that benefits most from time in a barrel is undoubtedly Barleywine.
    Etan likes this.