1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

poor house brewing

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by pinkgrenade, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Yeah, right. That's the only reason you'd have for stopping by there. Mmm-hmm...
  2. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

It's San Diego, if I just want to see hot young women, I'll go to PB Bar & Grill.
  3. I doubt any of them drink craft beer out of a Mason jar.
  4. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (375) California May 19, 2006

Personally I like Ciro's better. Just chill out there on the patio with a tasty brew and watch the world walk by.
  5. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

I haven't been out in PB (other than the TapRoom) in forever. Although I did hear RT's Longboards sold out to the douche's that run Cabo Cantina.
  6. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

7. Your move Spearmint Rhino . . .
  8. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

This thread is on the right track to dethrone ECBC Chapter 11 as the Pacific forums thread of the year.
  9. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Nah, David Meadows posting in that thread really put it over the top. Now if Alanna and Vanessa decide to chime in here, we'll have some real competition going.
    domtronzero likes this.
  10. The threads are inextricably linked, given the presence in both places of she who looks good while bending over to mop the floor.
    grandmachine likes this.
  11. Unearthed this thread because I've been curious about Poor House Brewing, I drive past it frequently, but it looks rather unappealing. After a quick BA Forum search, I came across this thread. I also did a Yelp search and found a rather hilarious 5-star review comparing Poor House to Alpine Nelson.

Any chance this is a legeitimate review?

?A hidden gem and an unexpected find in San Diego's craft-brewing scene. Small, cozy, and friendly. Not to mention delicious.

On my first visit I enjoyed the Experimental Batch 6 IPA so much that I didn't want to try anything else. (I'm sure I will next time I drop by.) The blend of hops was brilliant... reminded me of my first sip of an Alpine Nelson. Different hops and different flavor profile, of course, but the same effect: Holy bleep, this is good.

Co-founder Alanna served up the beer and was refreshingly beer-smart and personable. Plenty of passion without the pretentiousness of other beer joints in San Diego.

For me, Poor House Brewing Company hit all the right notes: Really good beer, good people, and the neighborhood feel of a corner bar.

Some breweries go to North Park because it's cool; this microbrewery makes North Park a cooler place."

There's also this: "I felt in love with their Tripel, it's so tasty and refreshing.
    They have a really high alcohol content beer called " The Panty Dropper" it's like 18% and is served on a 2oz shot. It will honestly drop more than your panties."
  12. Xul

Maybe, there are a lot of beer consumers in San Diego with no sense of taste and I could see someone writing that. However, I finally broke down and tried it last year out of morbid curiosity (and living two blocks away) and will not be returning. The house beers weren't particularly good and that, combined with the owner's history, gives me no desire to go back in there when I can walk a few extra blocks to TigerTiger, Toronado, Belching Beaver, etc.
  13. Which member of the "crew" served your beer? http://www.poorhousebrew.com/Meet-us.html
  14. Xul

I don't remember...it might have been Katie or Christina, but I was more intent on figuring out what sort of terrible life decision had caused me to end up sitting in there drinking shitty beer than on matching the bartender's face to her employee bio.