1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Porter Recommendations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mikethebeerlover, Jan 5, 2013.

1. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

Flying Dog Gonzo and Ballast Victory at Sea are my two favorites. The Polish porters are also excellent, as the above post states.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  2. It's a damn shame that we're on page 2 and no one has mentioned Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter.

My two other favorites are easily Founders' and Smuttynose Robust Power. GL Edmund Fitzgerald and Deschutes Black Butte, though I've only had each once, are both fantastic.

Boulevard's Bully! Power is pretty good, but I would stay away from Maine Beer Co's King Titus. MBC makes great (if overpriced) beer, but King Titus tasted like cigarette ash.
    mmikey8 likes this.
  3. BJasny

BJasny Savant (375) Texas Jul 10, 2011

I'm a big Porter guy as well; the first ones that come to mind (in order) are London Porter, Black Butte, Founders, Anchor and Sam Smith's Taddy Porter. London Porter has always been one of my favorite beers
  4. I recently tried Saranac, a NY brewery's Caramel Porter. It was divine.
  5. jmosborn

jmosborn Disciple (70) Michigan Jul 30, 2011

Arcadia London Porter hits the note for the winter months...just the right amount of smoked malt.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  6. My three favourite porters are Eddy Fitz, Founders and Black Butte but a couple that rival them include O'Dell's Cutthroat and Tyranena's Coffee Porter. The former is very much akin the easily sessionable ones that make up my faves and the latter is quite similar Founder's Breakfast Stout, imo. Every bit as good, too (I may be suffering from FBS overkill). Also, although the reviews don't treat it as kindly, I really liked Ass Kisser's porter as well. Samuel Smith's Taddy porter is also phenomenal.

If you like porters, you'll probably dig Surly Bender, a very rich brown ale that also has a coffee version.
  7. Want classic porter? Fuller's London Porter. Want to buy an American classic? Anchor Porter.
    TongoRad, DelMontiac and sharpski like this.
  8. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

And then come up with your own personal explanation of what characteristics distinguish porters from stouts, based entirely upon your own experience.

Better yet, pick up some Anchor or, if accessible, Mayflower.
    BS- likes this.
  9. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

Another vote for meantime!
  10. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Savant (395) Florida Dec 5, 2012

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is my recommendation too.
  11. I don't have anything new to provide, but here is another vote for either Anchor Porter, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Samuel Smith's Famous Taddy Porter, or Smuttynose Robust Porter.
  12. If you're in New England, Mayflower Porter is a must try.
    hogansct and Dools9 like this.
  13. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Stone smoked porter w/vanilla beans. Awesome. I didn't try the one with chiles in it, but heard it was good. I'll second Black Butte and the imperial version of blacke butte every year is amazing.
  14. Morke Pumpernickel Porter. It's a Norwegian (I think, maybe Swedish) porter that's very good and a bit under rated.
  15. Bells porter. Taddy porter. Gonzo.
  16. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

Ed Fitzgerald is amazing. Smuttynose Robust Porter is excellent as is Black Butte. SN Porter is very solid and inexpensive.
  17. Some of my favorites:

Smuttynose Robust Porter
    Mayflower Porter
    CCB Jose Marti
    Meantime Coffee Porter
    NEBCO Ghost Pigeon Porter
  18. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

Alpha Klaus is great. For an everyday porter. Black Butte.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  19. Not sure if you're in the New ENgland area, but if so be sure to grab six pack of Mayflower Porter. It's the best Porter I have ever had. Also from New England is Smuttynose Robust Porter and Long Trail Coffee Porter. All three of those beers kick mega ass.

As for widely distributed....if you can get Founder Porter is excellent (I'd put it right behind Mayflower's on my list). Also, Sierra Nevada makes a good porter.
  20. Can't go wrong with Stone Smoked Porter! pretty tasty and only like 3$ And easily obtained. And the one with vanilla is extra awesome!
  21. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I'll second Founders and Black Butte. Those are the 2 porters that I judge all other porters by.
  22. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

Flying Dog Gonzo
  23. mdquigley

mdquigley Aficionado (100) Kansas Sep 5, 2009

Boulevard Bully! Porter, Sam Smith's Taddy Porter, and Anchor Porter are wonderful representatives of the style.
  24. WynnO

WynnO Savant (490) Florida Oct 24, 2003

Yes let's not forgot about our overseas brethren. Samuel Smith's Famous Taddy Porter is as good as any, and it should be readily available.
  25. Williamsburg BB Porter
  26. Arcadia's London Porter, then Smuttynose's Robust Porter, then Bell's or Founders. If you want a real treat then take a step up to Arcadia's Shipwreck Porter, it's bourbon barrel aged.
  27. I'll also throw Mayflower Porter out there. The distribution is limited, but if you're in MA or the New England area, its definitely a must try and maybe the best beer they make. And like others have said previously, Founders Porter is top notch.
  28. Founder's Porter might be one of my favorites, but I also second the recommendations for Smuttynose Robust Porter and the Mayflower Porter. I also enjoyed Anchor Porter.
    Dools9 likes this.
  29. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Sierra Nevada and Black Butte are great shelve porters. I also like Meantime, but kind of pricey IMO
  30. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Nogne-O - Porter & Alaskan - Baltic Porter are some of my favorites.
  31. Paul68

Paul68 Savant (405) New Jersey Dec 13, 2006

Left Hand Smoke Jumper!
    comfortablynirm likes this.
  32. I forgot about Arcadia London Porter. Great brew. I should do a side-by-side in the near future. It's funny because I considered porters to be one of my least favorite styles for a long time. To me they tasted like overly carbonated stouts or burnt watery lagers. Then I had my Founders porter and it ironically became one of my favorite beers, in the always accessible category at least. Baltic porters and Arcadia followed. Now I seek out porters. That's one of the best parts about craft beer, just when you think you have a developed opinion, it can be turned upside down by a great drink at the right time.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  33. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Smutty, Founders, and Anchor are all great and inexpensive
  34. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Oh, and can't forget Maui Coconut Porter
  35. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Revolution's Eugene porter is one of my favorite beers during winter. I second (third, tenth, whatever) trying Smuttynose Robust Porter and Founder's. I also really liked Slumbrew Porter Square Porter out of Massachusetts, but I brought this back from vacation and haven't seen it anywhere around Chicago.
  36. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Other than the more framiliar ones already mentioned, these are very memorable porters in my book:
    Harviestoun: Old Engine Oil
    Marshall Brewing: Big Jamoke
  37. Couple of my favorites are HF Everett and Revolution Eugene
  38. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (325) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

If you are ever in Colorado, Odell Cutthroat. I always like Stone Smoked Porter. There is really not much smoke taste. Not sure wher you live,but my local porter is Sweetwater Exodus, very solid.
  39. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Smuttynose Robust Porter & Deschutes Black Butte are exceptional! If your looking for a bigger Porter, I'd say Williamsburg Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter &/or Alaskan Smoked Porter. Either one of those are world class for what they are. Shit, even everyday Porters such as Anchor Porter, Sierra Nevada Porter, and Fullers London Porter are world class imo.
  40. If you like coffee, go for the Berkshire coffeehouse or Kona Pipeline...both fairly easy to get and for a low cost. Also, we just got a HUGE shipment of Black Butte XXIV Anniversary in Arizona a few weeks back (which I'm sure someone mentioned on top of regular BB), so try and get a bottle or two of this as well...it's wonderful.
    hogansct and Dools9 like this.