1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Porters and Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SportsandJorts, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Guinness draught is flavourless dark fizzy water. Also strength is only one out of several factors but you know, pick and choose what you want to argue against, that's cool.
  2. Alcohol-wise, sure that's lighter, but I'd bet it has more body and residual sugar. Guinness is nearly the density of water.
  3. Historically, I totally believe it, but my post was just a relaying of my experience with currently produced stouts and porters from a US brewers perspective.
  4. Ok, I'll call it on all three parameters you listed: Dark malts--you can see through it; bigger flavors--you admit that's it's fizzy water; and we've already covered alcoholic strength.

I just don't think it makes sense to make the generalizations that you did when the most dominant example of stout in the world goes completely against them.
  5. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Like stouts but lately have preferred flavored porters (vanilla, mocha, coffee). Very robust and flavorful. Especially Harpoon's 100 Barrell Series El Triunfo coffee porter. Incredible!
    MADPolo likes this.
  6. You wouldn't take the dominant lager as the prime example of lager would you?

And it is dark malts, any idiot can see that.
  7. My line of reasoning is that being the worlds biggest-selling stout, it defines what a stout is to the largest amount of people. As far as dark malts go, I guess I just don't know what you are talking about at this point. Both porter and stout usually have the same dark malts in them.
  8. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Either one will do on a chilly day.
    CwrwAmByth likes this.