1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Portland brewery apologizes over Hindu reference to beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BeerSingh, May 14, 2012.

1. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

Watch out everyone, Buzzkillington has entered the room!
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  2. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (405) India Jul 25, 2009

Who is Kali?

Kali is the fearful and ferocious form of the mother goddess. She assumed the form of a powerful goddess and became popular with the composition of the Devi Mahatmya, a text of the 5th - 6th century AD. Here she is depicted as having born from the brow of Goddess Durga during one of her battles with the evil forces. As the legend goes, in the battle, Kali was so much involved in the killing spree that she got carried away and began destroying everything in sight. To stop her, Lord Shiva threw himself under her feet. Shocked at this sight, Kali stuck out her tongue in astonishment, and put an end to her homicidal rampage. Hence the common image of Kali shows her in her mêlée mood, standing with one foot on Shiva's chest, with her enormous tongue stuck out.
    tolar111 likes this.
  3. As a fan and frequent customer of Burnside Brewing I respect their decision to change the image of the Beer, yet I appreciate the spirit in which they announced the original title and labeling. "Religious Offenses" (real, imagined, or blatantly exaggerated) occur in political forums so frequently that it really does seem like a waste of time to react to it (yet, here I am posting my own comment anyway).

Anyone who wants to collaborate on my "Jesus Juice" Barleywine, let me know... Figs, Grapes as additives maybe?

Cheers!
  4. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

will it have the king of pop and a small boy on the label?
  5. Keith238

Keith238 Savant (290) New Jersey Jul 31, 2007

No, I don't. That was poorly written by me. I don't know about "debunked" but clearly they saw a problem with what they put out and changed it and I believe rightly so. Plenty of art can be disrespectful, the label with the pedophile priest for example, it is often intended to be disrespectful, in this case to pedophile priests and those that protected them. Clearly Portland exercised their right to express themselves/their brand as they saw fit and changed their mind when they had the unintended consequence of offending people. Big difference between offending someone on accident due to your own ignorance of their culture and offending them by showing them their own bad behavior.
  6. I think what really irks me more than anything else about this thread is the word "aplogizes". There was no need to apologize for anything. They acquiesced, renamed it, new label and all that. They didn't do anything wrong. They only did something that some cry baby did his best to find a problem with it and then changed their product in order to make the cry baby go away.
    IpeeA and Kwatt99 like this.
  7. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Evidently all it took was a creative edit to the label art (two arms on the figure, more in the anthropomorphic vein) and the criticism abated. That particular dust-up reminds me of this one beer from Wasatch...
  8. In this context, the most ignorance I find these days, is when people won't acknowledge that promotion of the notion of "being offended" is big bu$ine$$ and a lifestyle.
  9. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I'm not sure if I want this to be true or not. Is it?
  10. Giovannilucano likes this.
  11. I can get behind this: As a show of respect, I recommend never allowing the Great Kali ever be allowed to "wrestle" again on television. . .

Its insulting to viewers, writers, other actors, athletes, physics (how in the hell does an open handed chop to the top of someone's skull result in dude's getting KO'd but not a broken hand? I can only suspend my disbelief so far. . .and I didn't get outraged when Mae Young gave birth to a hand, or when Brock Lesnar used a kimura as an offensive weapon from the standing position, sheesh.).
    hopsbreath likes this.
  12. Kwatt99

Kwatt99 Aficionado (155) Louisiana Mar 27, 2010

After reading this it makes it even harder for me to understand where the label is offensive. Great "story"! Why not use it for an awesome label....
    IpeeA likes this.
  13. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Is anyone in India (or of the Hindu faith) offended by this?
    Spider889 likes this.
  14. Spider889

Only if the Ghandi Bot appears in the next Michael Bay attrocity...
    BeerSingh likes this.
  15. BeerSingh

By the time the news reached home, the brewer had already wirhdrawn the label / name. I am certain there would have been a tirade otherwise. There are plenty of outfits here just waiting to police for nothing.
  16. BeerSingh

From what I understand, the outrage is just not about the label in particular, it is more about the association of a Hindu deity with alcohol.
  17. draheim

You may have misunderstood. Click on the link in my post (the word "this").
  18. IpeeA

IpeeA Savant (355) Missouri Jan 22, 2010

19. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Back to the beer in question; Burnside served the beer at a dinner tonight that a friend of mine (not on BA) attended. The new name? 'International Incident'. Glad to see the Burnside crew was still able to have a little fun with it! They seem to have popped out the other side of the small debacle with a little free publicity to boot.
    IpeeA and BeerSingh like this.
  20. BeerSingh

Ohhh LOL !! I didn't see the hyperlink on my Blackberry...
    Well, if anyone comes to know about this beer, it will be a National Calamity !!
    draheim likes this.
  21. BeerSingh

ISO : International Incident
  22. draheim

Kind of what I thought.

On a serious (or at least sincere) note, as far as I'm concerned Gandhi is right up there with Jesus and Martin Luther King in terms of overall greatness/importance. A lot of parallels. And I seriously doubt that any beer with an image or using the name of the latter two would go over very well at all in the U.S.; would likely be pulled from shelves within minutes if anyone was stupid enough to do it (although I guess I did find these). So I'm a little surprised that few if any eyebrows have been raised over the former. Chalk it up to plain old ignorance, I guess.

Nothing's sacred though, right?
  23. BeerSingh

No, just politically motivated.
  24. RabNath

RabNath Zealot (85) New York Jan 2, 2010

Actually, it's the Great Khali, not Kali. The name doesn't make sense as it essentially means "the great empty" or something similar, but there is a difference.
  25. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i love non-violent civil disobedience, i love civil and human rights, and i love NEBCO. (shrug)

while i wouldn't be too offended if someone complained about an MLK themed beer, i wouldn't be upset about such a beer either... i love (as mentioned above) civil rights, love intelligence critiques of american imperialism and capitalism, so i'd be all for a beer in his honor (light hearted or otherwise).

i don't like trivializing or commercializing great figures or issues, but i don't think NEBCO made gandhi bot as an attempt to cash in on the fame of gandhi.
  26. Great empty makes perfect sense if youve ever seen the dude "wrestle".
  27. draheim

And I wasn't suggesting—didn't mean to anyway—that anyone should be offended by the Gandhi-Bot name or label. I'm not. I just find it endlessly fascinating, from a social/cultural perspective, what people are and are not offended by etc.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  28. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

I call BS about the whole "Inappropriate usage of Hindu deities or concepts or symbols for commercial or other agenda is not okay." I guess it depends on how you interpret the whole "inappropriate" part but Hinduism is definitely exploited for profit in cartons and movies and all sorts of other things for non religious commercial purposes in india.
    I don't know if the use of hinduism in this way was inappropriate, my very religious hindu friend didn't a much of a problem with it. anyway the brewery handled it well
    BeerSingh likes this.
  29. Spider889

So did anyone hear if the US Ambassador ever issued a response to the Indian call for a formal apology?

I love thinking that the State Dept actually had enough balls to just ignore the inane request...