Portland Brewery/GOOD Beer Friendly Wedding Venues?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by FlyingBeer, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingBeer

FlyingBeer Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 California

Hi friends,

My fiance and I keep running through wedding venue ideas in our head and it seems nothing other than a brewery will do.

Middle ground for our families is somewhere around Portland, OR, and we have been on the hunt for breweries, brewpubs, taprooms or other beer-related venues where we could hold a wedding reception and, quite possibly, a ceremony. (Who among us would not want to say their vows in the shadow of fermenters?)

Alternatively we'd love a woody place where we can bring in whatever delicious kegs we like.

We've seen a few usual suspects (Portland Brewing/MacTarnahans, Bridgeport) but am curious if anybody in here knows of good ideas.

Your help is sincerely appreciated!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  2. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

OMG I AM SO JEALOUS. CAN WE BE BEST FRIENDS SO THAT I CAN GET AN INVITE?

Edit: Follow up question to the group, for those who are married or want to be married - If you could get married and have the reception in any brewery in the PNW where would it be?

3. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

wolves and people looks to be a good place...

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  4. FlyingBeer

Well I would have to say that I'd love to have it at Cascade -- because those are some of my favorites. But the Barrel House is just too tiny. Not only that, but I don't think that a single one of our wedding guests cares even half as much about beer as we do, so the beauty would be lost on them.

5. FlyingBeer

Oh, I forgot one thing: we are both dudes -- so there is absolutely zero need for things like white chairs, flowery arches, flowers of any kind, really. A giant oak-paneled room would actually be quite nice. We're looking at around 100 people.

anteater and BBThunderbolt like this.
  6. TheeWalrusHunter

100 people... hmm that might limit you to the big breweries - or at leas those that have space.

Maybe the Commons new space? Logsdon outdoors? does Widmer have a large space?

7. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Don't know if Bend is out of the question, but Worthy, Deschutes, and Crux (assuming timing is right for an outdoor event) have cool spaces that could accommodate 100. No idea if they are open to hosting weddings amongst their fermenters, but there you go. A buddy had his wedding at this place http://www.bendparksandrec.org/Parks__Trails/Facility__Park_Reservations/Aspen_Hall/ and he was able to bring in his own beer.

8. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

How about Ecliptic Brewing? I think they might be able to handle 100 people. Good food and tasty brews too.

Other than that, I'm having a hell of a time coming up with places that would be big enough for that kind of crowd. Maybe Deschutes Brewpub in the Pearl. (Don't even want to think of what that would cost.)

You know, Fat Head's Brewpub could hold 100 people and still feel empty. But I have a very tough time imagining a wedding party in there. Even for 2 dudes.

Edit: I'll bet Fort George Brewing could hold 100 people comfortably, though it's up in Astoria. Worth a look?

BBThunderbolt and sharpski like this.
  9. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The McMenamin Edgefield property in Troutdale seems like the obvious choice, IMHO. They have a variety of indoor and outdoor venues I believe, with a number of food and entertainment options. If you've never been there, the grounds are sizeable, with a winery tasting room, distillery, brewery, garden, 9 hole golf course, various water holes and nooks, movie theater, and on premise pub and restaurant. Lodging is available there as well, which is another advantage, if you don't want to worry about your guests drinking and driving.

NW BA's will argue that the McM beer isn't the best, and I can't disagree with that. However, I think only the ultra, uber beer geek will be bothered (or even notice) by that particular problem, and otherwise there's no down side I can think of to having your event there. The location is great (just outside of Portland, and right at the mouth the Columbia River gorge), and in addition to beer, there will be a full bar and wine selection available. I think the mediocre wine selection is more of a concern, but unlike the beer selection, they'll let you bring in your own wine and champagne, albeit with a $10 per bottle corkage.

They have a number of different packages, depending on your needs and how much you want to spend. Good luck.

10. TheeWalrusHunter

I second the McMenamins. They have a few properties that might work too. I looked at getting married at the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse.

BBThunderbolt and vurt like this.
  11. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Heh. Me and the wife looked there too, and at the McM Old Church down in Wilsonville.

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  12. dphi

dphi Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Went to a wedding at Bridgeport and it was a really nice venue, with good food. I think they have some solid enough beers to make everyone happy. Been to a few weddings at Edgedfield - nice views and places to roam but the food and beer are underwhelming.

13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was going to mention Fort George, in Astoria. Also, what about Hood River? Maybe Pfriem would be big enough, and if it's not, there's park nearby. Perhaps Logsdon? They've got a farm setting. Good luck, and congratulations!

Strangestbrewer likes this.
  14. derftron

derftron Pooh-Bah (1,639) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Logsdon would be THE SHIT! Not sure if they are open to it, but that property and the furry cows would be awesome.

The park across from Pfriem would also be cool, and I wonder if you could get the Hood River breweries to sell you some kegs?

15. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (1,197) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

some of my best friends did the deed last summer at Miller Hall at the World Forestry Center. A great space, maybe a little bigger than you'd really need, but it's a cool room in an awesome setting. Easy to bring in anything you want, but you'd need some OLCC certified folks to pour for you to keep it all legal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.