1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Portland International Beerfest

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by hopsbreath, Jun 13, 2012.

1. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Starting the sister thread to the Seattle version. BA jpbebeau found the Seattle beer list and I simply replaced a few words to find ours. Echoing some of the sentiments in the Seatlle forum, this years list doesn't seem quite as good as last years. Still a worthy beerfest though. Check it out.

http://www.portland-beerfest.com/PORTLAND_map_beerlist_2012.pdf

2. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I missed last year, but compared to 2 years ago, I'll agree that it's a bit of a lackluster list. Still, I'm stoked about the Ardbeg aged Emilisse, Mo Betta Bretta, Axes of Evil, Fred Flanders, and vintage Stone stuff. That's certainly a big enough list to get me out there.

Mebuzzard likes this.
  3. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

That's pretty pathetic. I mean, who doesn't want a lineup of North Coast for a festival like this?

And of course, they're still screwing people over on bottle prices. Thumbs down.

4. $40 for 30 beer tasting, glass, and enter fees. Im all about $1 4oz pours so ill get ny $$$ worth. Arrive early avoid lines
    A-

5. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

i'll be at my same local favorite spots avoiding ridiculous lines, and beers i want being sold out.

and yes, list seems lackluster.

6. hopsbreath

7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

The website says VIP tickets for $40, but the BA event calendar says the price is $35. I assume the website reflects the correct price.

Was there some sort of price increase on the VIP ticket this year?

8. hopsbreath

Just found my e-mail from last year. VIP tix listed at $35. So not only is the lineup not as good, it also costs more. :confused:

9. John_M

That's annoying.

Still... bourbon barrel aged deranger; the double mountain beers; Axes of evil; Fred flanders; the three logsdon beers; Oakshire brandywine...

I'm sure I'd have no problem spending my $30 worth of tokens. Just not sure this is how I want to spend my time on Saturday.

10. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I think you forgot to take the "douche factor" into account. I went to OBF once. I don't care if they're serving $4 impy pints of Rare, M, and Wooden Hell while PIB is serving regularly available stuff, I'll never go to OBF again, even during "off hours". Granted, I've only been to both during off hours, so maybe PIB gets bad at its busiest, but even on Thursday morning, the frat boy scene at OBF was intolerable while PIB was a very enjoyable atmosphere.

11. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

My family will be in town the week of the PIB and I thought about bringing my old man but I don't think I will after seeing that list. Nothing on that list is making me want to spend the entrance money and he isn't a huge craft beer drinker so I will probably skip this year.

12. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

jeez! talk about jaded beer drinkers...

13. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I think the beer list is on par for past PIB years.

14. LoPo87

I would rather just spend my money at Puckerfest that week I think...

bfg75 likes this.
  15. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (350) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

I agree with this comment 100%. We are so insanely spoiled here. 95% of the country would be chomping at the bit to have access to any sort of beer festival of this caliber. $40 for a multitude of 4 oz pours I will easily spend on that beer list looks fantastic to me!

Between this and the Fruit Beer Fest thread, you'd think these festivals had a bunch of skunked kegs, 30 minute waits, and people getting trampled on the way to the bathroom.

djbreezy, NWer and Mahlik like this.
  16. John_M

I'm surprised to hear this. I've attended OBF for the last 7 years running, and I've always made sure that I went early Thursday afternoon. I've also gone at other times, which is why I now go only on Thursday afternoon. That being said, I've never had a problem the times I've gone on Thurday.

Waits for a beer have never been more than a minute long, and while there is the expected "good natured exhuberance," it was far from a drunken frat boy party scene. I typically arrive around 1:00 and stay for several hours tops. I've never had anyone cut in front of me, knock over my beer, or push me out of the way. That's pretty much all I expect or ask for.

Really, really pleased to see that RR is bringing their Row 2, Hill 56 pale ale this year....

17. The prices on the BA calandar have now been updated (they hadn't been announced when the event was added 3-4 months ago, so I cut & pasted 2011's info... sorry for the confusion).

Yes, VIP went up by $5; so did 'Online' and 'At Gate' prices... beer prices and event planning/rentals are higher, costs get passed along. Such is life. Regardless, this fest is always a great time and one I look forward to every year.

18. hopsbreath

The wife and my tickets are already bought and paid for regardless of the price hike. I guess the increased costs need to be made up somewhere and sometimes my perspective is just skewed. Hell, my pay even went up $0.50 an hour this year so my complaint seems invalid. Looking forward to beers such as the Double Mountain lineup and the Southhampton bottles. We really got spoiled with the kegs of Cantillon and -bal IRS last year though.

But those are my people! :) Former frat boy here so it's possible that the crowd seems fairly tame to me before 4p or so. Around then the "woo's" start and I find myself getting annoyed. Noon to four on Saturday will probably be the only day I'll go to avoid the throngs. To be fair, since I was a little pessimistic about the PIB taplist, I will say that the OBF rolled out their best lineup in three years.

19. ccrida

ccrida Advocate (535) Oregon May 26, 2006

tell me about it! I'm not big into beer fests, but there is more than enough interesting & world class beer on that line-up for me to over-indulge in...

djbreezy likes this.
  20. LoPo87

Question for those who may know; Is there a cheaper entry fee for people that aren't drinking and are the DD? My parents will be in town that weekend and I would like to go but my mother doesn't drink beer. Didn't see anything on the website about this so I am assuming there isn't but figured I would ask.

21. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

No, you are correct. I've been going to both festivals for many years and I pretty much stopped going to OBF due to the "douche" factor (that and the fact the lines get so long you can't even tell what you're waiting in line for). There's no question that the PIB has a classier audience.

I'm pretty sure that you only have to pay if you're going to drink. I would expect that your Mom can get in for free.

22. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Heading up to Portland during that week(end) for the first time. Bought me some tix for this fest. Don't see me being disappointed. Looking forward to Portland beer adventure!!!

23. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Here's hoping the OBF is better than you describe this year. I've committed to Thursday and Friday hoping it will be best before the weekend.

24. John_M

Depends when you go on Friday. Earlier the better is the best advice I can give, but in my experiene, a lot of people take off early to attend OBF on Friday. By 3:00 you can pretty much expect it to be a madhouse (crowded and noisy with long lines).

You're committed to attending on Friday, so I won't tell you not to go at this point. However, Friday evening and pretty much all day Saturday tend to be the most crowded times at the OBF. Good luck!

(maybe I'll see you there on Thursday...)

25. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I've always had good luck showing up right at opening on Saturday. By 2pm it starts getting hectic, but by that point I've tried the 8-10 things I wanted to sample so I just wander down the waterfront to Full Sail or something.

26. NWer

I plan to be there when they open both days leaving the evenings free for other things. Are there other peripheral things worth checking out at, say, Bailey's, APEX, HotD, other usual suspects?

27. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Hair of the Dog is really easy to reach from the waterfront since you just have to walk over the Morrison Bridge. Otherwise, Bailey's is walking distance as well. Don't know if either of them will have any special anti-OBF stuff on (though Belmont Station usually has something of the sort).

28. NWer

Thanks. I know all these places all too well. As you state, I'm looking for "special anti-OBF" alternatives if things get too unbearable at the festival though it would take a lot. I can tolerate a lot. After all, it's a public beer festival, not a private bottle share.

Sarlacc83 and hopsbreath like this.
  29. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

We host FringeFest at the station every year on the Saturday of OBF. I'm not sure who all will be here this year (I think Heater Allen is the only one confirmed), but we'll have owners/brewers from several breweries that aren't represented at OBF on hand pouring beer and shooting the shit.

I'm not sure what's happening this year, but last year the Brass turned over every one of their guest taps to Oregon beer for the last two weeks of July, with heavy emphasis on non-OBF breweries.

30. LoPo87

For anyone else wondering, I emailed PIB asking about people who are not drinking and they told me it is $5 admission for anyone who isn't drinking. Just an FYI.

Spaceloaf and Kopfschuss like this.
  31. OBF is best when attending Thursday and Friday during the daytime. For a trader from the NW, the line-up is just so-so. You definitely want to hit the Buzz Tent and just park it their the entire time. The Buzz Tent has the really limited brews worth spending extra tickets for. They have a huge reader baord outside the tent that shows what is on tap at any given time. Check often and have fun! The location for OBF is tops as it is right next to the river walk and farmer's market where there is great food to be had and free entertainment.

NWer likes this.
  32. I'm headed out from Michigan, and should be in town the day before. I'm planning on hitting Puckerfest on Thursday afternoon then I don't have any specific plans for the evening. If someone wanted to do a bottle share tasting somewhere, I could ship out a few bottles beforehand. Or is there orbs can't miss places to go in the evenings.

33. If any of you ladies/gents who plan to hit PIB are interested, we just opened up a few more volunteer spots on Friday night, Saturday (early) and Sunday (early). http://www.portland-beerfest.com/volunteer.php

If you've never volunteered at a beerfest, it's a blast... plus you get the perks of free admission, a t-shirt, glass & beer tickets for a few hours of your time...

I'll be working the Fest all 3 days and hope to see many of y'all there!

Cheers,
    Brian

34. LoPo87

35. Good job!!!
    Looks like that deal is already SOLD OUT!

36. LoPo87

That is crazy, when I first opened your link there were 79 still available!

37. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Nice find. Wish I had checked this thread. Dang it!

38. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Anyone else getting jacked up for the PIB? Woke up at 5:30 this morning and the gf and I on our way now.

39. Set up has been going great this morning! Can't wait to open the gates!