1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Portland International Beerfest

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by hopsbreath, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

That takes some dedication. I personally am not going and am just going to attend a bottle share instead :)

2. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Stil sounds like a good time!

3. Kopfschuss

So had a blast yesterday, gf and I got in a few min after opening and tasted several great beers.

Logsdon Seizoen
    Logsdon Seizoen Bretta
    Double Mountain Devils Kriek
    Double Mountain Rainier Kriek
    Double Mountain Peche Mode
    Double Mountain Ferocious Five
    HotD/de Proef Fred Flanders
    Maui/JP Sobrehumano Palena Ole'
    Anderson Valley Sour Stout
    Wingman Ascension Triple IPA
    HeBrew BA Blockhead
    Aspall Chevallier
    Laurelwood BA Deranger
    Epic Big Bad Baptist

Winners of the day were def the Ferocious Five and Blockhead with an honorable mention to the Deranger. I guess I like BA beers ;)

Heading there today and going to burn any last tickets, 20 I think. Anything you think I cannot miss?

NWer likes this.
  4. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Looks like you had a great time.
    At the SIB, Stone had a handle called Extra Low Self Esteem. It was in fact Dogfish Head 120. If interested and if they repeat.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  5. Kopfschuss

At the SIB, Stone had a handle called Extra Low Self Esteem. It was in fact Dogfish Head 120. If interested and if they repeat.

Oh wow, I saw the same thing yesterday and gave it a pass. Hopefully they have something like that again!

6. Kopfschuss

Jeez was I the only person here? Day two the gf and I had:

Anderson Valley Bourbon Aged Barney Flats
    Stone RIS 2010x3 (we liked this @ a single ticket)
    Stone OG 2010
    Cuvee des Jacobins Rogue
    Gigantic Axes of Evil (Three Floyds Collab)
    Oakshire Brandywine
    Bridgeport Stumptown Tart
    Lagunitas Mystery Rotator
    Delirium Tremens
    Mad Viking BA Imperial Stout
    Deschuttes The Stoic

Not as good as day one, but the stone RIS was great. The ferocious five kicked right before my gf was able to get another :(

NWer likes this.
  7. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

I went on Saturday and had a great time.

Admission seems to be getting crazy expensive (I spent about $70 in one day), but there was almost no wait in any of the lines, so I guess the price hike does help keep the crownd down.

As for beers, I had some good ones and some not so good ones.

I was really impressed with Double Mountain's beers. I was also happy I got to try the Laurelwood Bourbon Deranger (although I don't recall there being that much of a bourbon influence). Unfortunately, I missed out on the HotD (maybe that was only on Friday).

I was not as impressed with the Axes of Evil. I've never had Three Floyds before; but given the hype over their stuff I was expecting something extraordinary. It was a pretty good pale-ish ale but it didn't knock my socks off.

Also, the Wingman IPA just tasted like a ho-hum IPA to me. For that level of ABV, I was expecting some sort of punch in the face.

Still, no regrets; I got to try things I've never had before (and probably wouldn't have otherwise had), so I consider it a success.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  8. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

I dropped by to visit some pals there yesterday, tasted a tiny bit and biked home. Not my favorite beer event in PDX. Not bad, but not at the top of my calendar. So many great local beers, so little time. All in all, time is better spent at a local joint, IMHO.

9. Kopfschuss

Agreed, very much a let down for me as well, especially as this was the first beer I have had from this brewery. However, I will very much be interested in giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one as it was a collab. I'd gamble (which this wasn't a gamble at all as I recall it only being one token) on another of their beers.

10. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

As was noted somewhere else recently, Portland has a Beer Year. Competition is pretty intense. Still, I'm looking forward to attending the OBF next weekend. I'll have no problem spending my 25+ tokens - might even hit a pub or two.

11. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Just a few take away thoughts myself:

Hung out on Saturday about noon until 4p and had a good time with some friends. Low key even and I don't think there were ever more than two people in front of me for any beer I wanted. Score a point for higher ticket prices.

Axes of Evil was forgettable as was Mo' Betta Bretta, BA Deranger, and Mad Viking BA Stout.

Double Mountain stuff was nice with the Ferocious Five being possibly my favorite beer of the fest. Fantastic barrel character that was well integrated into the base beer. Reminded me favorably of the most recent Pappy's Dark. Peche Mode had great peach flavor, no sourness at all, and a super quick finish. Better to be left wanting more rather than to have too much IMHO.

Oakshire's Brandywine is my favorite beer from them to date. Great complimentary oxidation gave it a 'vintage' feel. Hoping for more good beers out of that brewery after almost giving up.

Tried Collage again and still hate that beer. Six tickets for 4 ounces and dumped over half of it. YMMV of course.

Those big TrIPA's from Washington were just nuts. Drank more like an 8-10% ABV beer than a 16-18% ABV beer. My wife had five pours...and passed out by 6pm. That was only 10 of her tickets and she still powered through her other 20. :rolleyes:

Overall a good time! I might just be back next year.

12. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Sounds like a fun fest. Bummed I missed out! Weekend had too much going on. Me and my lady would have rather been drinking IBF beers with you all.

13. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I agree that Axes of Evil was forgettable, but as someone who lived in the Midwest and had regular access to FFF, I can't say I'm surprised. They brew a few great beers and a lot of mediocre ones. BA Deranger was mediocre as well. Gigantic redeemed themselves in my eyes with The City Never Sleeps. Big Bad Baptist, Ferocious Five, and Oakshire Brandywine were all phenomenal. I agree with the comment above about the Brandywine having slight notes of oxidation which lend it a pleasant vintage fee. 2010 Old Guardian was a hell of a deal for one ticket (as was 2010 RIS, but I've got a sizable stash of that one in the cellar, so I didn't bother getting it at the fest). Fred Flanders was alright, but a bit of a letdown considering my high expectations. Bateman's Mocha was... interesting. Still not sure if I love the beer or dislike it. Glad I tried it as a taster rather than getting a bottle. Epic's Smoked and Oaked was very pleasant as well, making them my favourite brewery of the fest.

I was very dissapointed that the Ardbeg aged Emilisse and Bourbon Barrel Blarney Flats weren't there yet on Friday, as those were two of my most anticipated beers, but overall I was very happy with the fest. There were still more beers than my weak constitution could handle (didn't get around to Kali Ma, Soft Dookie, or any of the Mad Viking, Southampton, or Deschutes stuff I wanted to try), and the atmosphere was very pleasant (as opposed to another upcoming fest... ahem...)

14. Evil Twin Brewing was likely my favorite there at the fest - Even More Jesus, Auld Yin and Yin & Yang were simply delicious! Two Beers Ascension (18+%) as mentioned above tasted like a 9-10% IIPA - great stuff!!! Epic Big Bad Baptist - a fantastic coffee forward imperial stout - great buzz to start the day with that one. Others that stood out for me: Epic Smoked and Oaked, Shmaltz BA Human Blockhead, Laurelwood BB Deranger and Stone 2010 IRS.

15. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

6 tickets for 4 oz of Collage? Didn't Hair of the Dog have Collage on all last week for like 8.50 per 12oz? Geesh. The PIB prices get more ridiculous every year. Used to be my favorite festival, too.

Really enjoyed the Brandywine from Oakshire, and I thought the Two Beers Triple IPA was palatable (if not necessarily great). Only stuck around the PIB for about an hour because the prices were terrible this year. Was definitely nice that it wasn't busy though.

16. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Yes on both accounts. Although by the time I had a pour of it on Saturday I was just looking for some way to burn through tickets. Can't handle my alcohol anymore and get buzzed way to quickly. It was that or three pours of the triple IPA. The blackout I'm sure would have accompanied that option would have been free.

17. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

The ticket prices seemed all over the place. There were some beers that you could regularly get around town on draft or in bottles for less per ounce than at the fest, but then there were some amazing rare beers for one ticket. They said in the guide that they determine the number of tickets for each beer based on what it costs them, not on rarity or quality, and it seems like that's the case.

Spaceloaf likes this.
  18. Kopfschuss

I feel this was the most unfairly priced beer at the event FWIW. Most all of the others were of reasonable value. 2 tickets for HotD/de Prof Fred Flanders, 1 ticket for 2011 Stone IRS/OG, 3 tickets for the all the Double Mountain beers, and finally the Ascension TIPA for only 2 tickets. It seems people are quick to judge based on one unreasonably priced beer being at the event. It is funny because that was not even on the Bottle/Draft list to begin with. I do not disagree with your experience, maybe it used to be a better event (taplist, price, etc) but I feel I got an great value for the experience/beer I got to have.

19. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

The bottle prices have been a long running complaint of mine - since they're brazenly called fair and underpriced when they're almost all the opposite. (Case in point, for this year, Logsdon Seizon was 3 tickets, leading to an 18 dollar bottle. A bottle in stores is 10 bucks.) Now that same pricing structure is starting to bleed into some of the draft list. (I consider Double Mountain's beers to be ridiculously overpriced, but that's a problem with all their non-IPAs and is not specific to the PIB.)

Spaceloaf likes this.
  20. Kopfschuss

That is a valid point, but keep in mind that the PIB is a benefit for Pet Cross, an organization that does amazing things for animals. Here is a link to the info: Pet Cross. I think that along with the expenses that occur when you have a festival, justifies the extra cost on some beers. Additionally, I would agree with you on the Double Mountain beers, except in this case there were 2 Krieks (one with Rainier cherries), a Peach wild ale and a 12% BA brown ale that was my favorite beer of the event.

btw, when my gf and I move to Portland, I am hoping to volunteer once we've settled in.

Spaceloaf likes this.