1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Portland, Maine

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by jageraholic, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Was thinking of taken a trip out to Portland, ME around thanksgiving to check out some breweries, shops and bars. Any recommendations of places to hit up hopefully close to each other? Any side stops for good bbq will also be good to know.

2. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

The Great Lost Bear has some awesome bbq wings and decent tap selection, and there's a homebrew/bottle shop right next door - it's an easy one-two!

mingo1968 likes this.
  3. Keyes88

Keyes88 Savant (290) New Jersey Jul 19, 2011

Allagash, without a question. Maine Beer Co. Is there as well. Plus lost bear is an easy stop on your way back to Portland.

4. Novare Res.... but yeah, Allagash is an absolute must.

also, RSVP is your best bet for a bottle shop, and reasonably close to Allagash.

5. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

6. Am loving the BBQ at Buck's Naked - burnt ends, yum! One in Freeport, and other out on Rte. 302 in Casco. Beer list is average, but features many local brews. Involves a bit of driving, but haven't found notable Que downtown yet.

7. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

All you need to know is, Silly's, Maine Mead Works (free tastings), Rising Tide, Mama's Crowbar (cash only), El Rayo, Duckfat, and one of the 'rooms' (Corner Room, Grill Room, or my favorite Front Room). All of these can be walked to if you stay downtown.

edit: I should say can be walked if you are in somewhat 1/2 way ok shape.

8. nice...thanks for the list

9. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Bier Celler > RSVP.... FWIW you may want to check ahead and call some since it is a holiday.....

10. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Definitely check out Novare Res and, if you like Belgian beer, do the Allagash brewery tour.

You can sample beer and pick up a growler or two at Rising Tide. Check the hours here: http://www.risingtidebrewing.com/home.html
    Whole Foods is right down the street and they have a pretty good beer selection, though almost all of it is chilled. Your best bet for a shop would be Bier Cellar which is about 5 minutes away.

As for BBQ my 2 favorite places in the area closed, but the Sebago brewpub in Gorham (about 15 minutes from Portland) has a new BBQ menu and their Slick Nick Winter Ale is a good pairing with it.

11. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Hot suppa in Portland has some nice BBQ, and an OK beer list. The highlights being a Marshall wharf and Oxbow selection.

12. They're in the process of opening a third location on Wharf St. in the Old Port.

13. Highly recommend RSVP, DuckFat and great lost bear!

14. kinopio

kinopio Savant (370) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

I've never seen anyone mention or review Eventide Oyster Bar but I thought it was a cool place. Oxbow and some other locals on tap, extensive raw bar, cool interior, right near Sebago in Old Port.

15. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

I'll second Eventide being a good choice to visit if you're downtown. Plus, it's on the same block as Duckfat, which is also worth checking out

16. Or the East Ender, which is right next door to Duckfat. Went to a Sixpoint Beer Diner there that was tasty. That block sure has got some fun stuff going on for food & beers!

17. Duckfat and Eventide go we'll together. Better beer at Duckfat usually.

LFK and Pai Men Miyake are another pair of options near each other, with more taps at each.

Novare Res and Thirsty Pig make a nice mini crawl as well.

There are a ton of other restaurants worth going to... Lots of choices. My favorite BBQ used to be Beal St BBQ in south Portland (short drive) - but I haven't been there in the past year.

18. Went to Hot Suppa last night. Good BBQ and grits. Oxbow and Marshall Wharf on tap, as predicted. I went with UFF's Baby Jimmy Bourbon Cider, which was fantastic.

It's near LFK and Pai Men Miyake.

19. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Savant (450) Maine Mar 26, 2008

The SoPo Beale Street closed a while ago. Another restaurant went into that space, but it folded quickly. Right now, it is empty. There is still a Beale Street BBQ in Bath.

If you ever get a chance, there is a fun BBQ restaurant attached to the Atlantic Brewery in Bar Harbor.

20. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

great BBQ.

21. Thanks for the rec. We get up to Bar Harbor once every couple years, but haven't been to Atlantic Brewery, or this BBQ place.

I'll make it a point to stop by next time we go up there.