Portland & surrounding area beer trip

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ffejherb, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffejherb

ffejherb Pooh-Bah (2,269) Oct 18, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Good day, eh!

My wife and I are taking our annual summer beer trek to Oregon this summer. We're flying into Portland and hope to hit all of the best places in the greater Portland area. We also plan to hit Pelican and some other coastal breweries, Hood River, and Eugene. Obviously, my master list is pretty ridiculous, so I'm hoping to get a few "can't miss" recommendations from the locals. Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

2. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

3. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

4. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

The Pelican in Pacific City, or the new one in Cannon Beach? If you're going to Pacific City, make sure to swing by de Garde on you way to/from. Tillamook is about 30 minutes north of Pacific City.

Also, if you're in Pacific City, stop at Twist for to experience The Most Unlikely Place You'll Ever Find Pliny On Tap. Then go next door (ish) to Haystack Coffee Roasters and get a crab hoagie. Yes, a coffee shop that sells crab hoagies. No, I am not full of shit. Yes, they are delicious.

5. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Pooh-Bah (2,013) Dec 1, 2004 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wow I wish I knew about those hoagies when I was Tillamook a few months ago. Would have been a fine excuse to drive on over to Pacific

6. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Pooh-Bah (2,013) Dec 1, 2004 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

If you can make time to visit Astoria you definitely should. Fort George brews up some terrific offerings as does Buoy. Astoria is a yearly visit for me for going on six years now.

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The view at the Pacific City location is stunning, but you can get all the same beer by visiting their production brewery and pub in Tillamook, which is even closer to de Garde.

BBThunderbolt and TheBungyo like this.
  8. guajolote

Right. But for me, the Pelican experience is more about the view from the pub. I generally find their beers to be good but uninteresting, so the Tillamook location really doesn't do much for me. Individual results may vary.

9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I agree. Outside of MoS I haven't really ever cared for their offerings, and even MoS was cloying and flabby this year I thought.

10. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Has anybody ever heard of MoS release day being referred to as "Mothers Day" before? I've got a couple friends who swear that's what it's called, but I don't remember ever hearing it called that.

11. guajolote

[​IMG]

vurt and BBThunderbolt like this.
  12. ffejherb

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for the info. We're hoping to hit both Pelican sites. I'm down with crab hoagies but the wife is allergic. Sounds awesome!

13. ffejherb

Pooh-Bah Society

Last time we were in OR (the only time), we hit Astoria. The wife and I are both fans of Goonies, so that was cool. She actually recognized one of the buildings from the movie. Cheers!

TheBungyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.