1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Portsmouth Brewery's Royal Impy Stout

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Seanniek91, Feb 25, 2013.

1. The brewery just release the Royal Impy Stout today and Tyler did a pretty damn good job. Anyone else try it yet?

RoninTK3 likes this.
  2. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

I would love to get my hands on a btl...hint hint, wink wink

3. Just got home and it was fantastic. Paired well with the Shoyo chicken too. Great stuff Mr Tyler, awesome beer!

4. I tried it last night. Very nice. Huge chocolate tones and really full mouthfeel. Not overly sweet either. I definitely want to grab a bottle soon.

I think I preferred the Cirque de Citron they had on tap though. Both were really good though and worth a stop by to grab.

5. The Cirque de Citron was quite nice as well. I agree with the what you though of the stout. Super chocolaty, but It could have been more bitter in my opinion.

6. Anyone hear any info on bottle count or how many kegs they'll have to put on? I was told "it'll last a while" and "double batch", but it seems like they were underestimating demand, especially in the retail shop.

7. Didnt hear any info on bottle or keg count but they are limiting bottle sales to 8 per person and they were flying out of the retail shop last night.

8. I bought two yesterday around lunch. Didn't even know they tapped it, till I got to the brewery and it was packed at noon mind you.

9. The Royal Impy Stout is a great beer, and I imagine the bottles will vanish quickly as word spreads around town. And I'll second the other posts about Cirque de Citron: delicious collaboration with Oxbow. That's all I had time for yesterday. Still hoping to get out this week to find some bourbon barrel Baltic Porter from Smutty, but the storm is not helping.

smutty33 and Gosox8787 like this.
  10. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I was planning on heading down Friday. I hope I don't miss out.

11. ISO :) IP at The Festival in Portland??

12. Mike

Mike Senior Web Developer (445) New Hampshire Nov 17, 2010 Staff Member

It's a solid stout. On a side note KtG is also drinking fantastic with a year of age.

[​IMG]

13. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Da hell?! I was near Portsmouth this weekend......:confused: So ISO!

14. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Looks fantastic

15. How do they compare? It's been a year since I had Kate and I thought the Impy was quite delicious in its own regard.

16. Impy is freakin delicious, had it on tap this afternoon. Also picked up a couple bottles in the retail shop, they were just filling up the cooler with a new case.

17. Prob a good 20 bottles left with even more in storage when I stopped by around 3

18. AdamP

AdamP Savant (395) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

Really hope the Cirque de Citron and Impy Stout make it to Saturday when I'll be there for dinner... *fingers crossed*

19. Both beers were still on tap tonight and a decent amount of Royal Impy Stout bottles left from what I could gather. They refill the cooler one case at a time, and the cashier didn't have access to the remaining inventory.

But look at the bright side, the lousy weather is keeping the crowds away, and you've got various BA and Short Batch Smuttynose around town plus a fresh keg of Old Raspy XV at The Press Room. I love Beer Week.

FrankLloydMike and smutty33 like this.
  20. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Awesome.I was there for beer week last year and I am def. salivating over the smutty selections scattered about around town.Jealous of the colabos at P-Brew too!.I gotta get back up there for next years festivities.

Cheers

21. Was there on Mon for dinner and Impy. Heading back up on Sat to drink more Impy. Cant wait, its delicious.

22. Anyone had any of the Smutty stuff around town?

23. s1ckboy

s1ckboy Savant (340) Massachusetts Apr 10, 2011

Went up this morning to get some bottles. There was about 30(ish) in the cooler and was told that was the last of it.

Auror likes this.
  24. T-RO

T-RO Savant (310) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Thanks, am heading over around 400pm was making a few stops first then the brewery - need to go by their store first I guess.

25. Damn, should've gone up last night like I had planned to.

26. BaconCheeseburg

BaconCheeseburg Zealot (95) Maine May 19, 2012

Bottles are sold out. It is still available on tap.

27. Just left. It's gone.

28. Gone on tap or just bottles?

29. Bottles. On tap for glasses but no growlers.

30. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (960) Maine Sep 17, 2005

Had some Wednesday.
    Great beer!

31. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I was hoping to pick up some bottles tomorrow. Now watch the keg kick tonight.

32. FYI - am at The Brewery now (320PM) and the Royal Impy is still flowing... And still tasting quite nice! Prosit!!

AdamP likes this.
  33. AdamP

Awesome news!! Thanks for the good look, hopefully it makes it a few more hours.

34. Still on as of 430 PM....

35. AdamP

Still on tap when I left around 9:00pm last night. Really smooth and flavorful stout, thrilled I got to try it!

36. Finally got over there yesterday and tried it. Really tasty and easy drinking. Glad I had my brother grab me some bottles before they sold out.

37. According to the P-brew's FB page, bottles of Royal Impy Stout are for sale today. I suggest you call first, but it looks like they bottled up some more. Worth the $8 IMO.

Still on draft too.

MA08 likes this.
  38. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

Hope I can try some of this on tap before it kicks. I was hoping to stop in last week, but didn't get a chance. Also really want to try the Cirque de Citron.

39. AdamP

I was a bit disappointed by the latter, unfortunately. Tasted under-carbed and the flavors seemed muddled IMO. The impy made everything okay though...

Mike and jderosia603 like this.