1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Posible first kegerator

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by blatherbeard, Mar 4, 2013.

1. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I have a line on a kegerator(fridge that was made into one). It looked at first glance, which was just that a glance, to have all the parts i would need.(unsure of co2 cannister) The guy claims it still works, just been sitting in his office in the back. I sorta trust the guy(hes a car salesman, bought a car thats been great from him, but....hes a car salesman.) What small/big things should i look for when purchasing this, if i do.

Thanks in advance. (150 is the asking price, im thinking even if i have to buy stuff for the kegerator part, the fridge, if working, could be worth the 150 alone)​
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

definately have him turn it on with a glass of water inside. then bring a thermometer. if it cant hold 38 it is not worth anything. you might want your beer to be a bit warmer, and that is fine. but you don't want a fridge that runs 24/7 and only gets to 42. because soon enough it will be 45. then 49...

check the seals to be sure they aren't cracked or need replacement.
    check the thermostat, try to determine if it is working properly. you can soak a rag in hot water and put it over the dial to see if the fridge clicks on. it might take a while between cycles. replacing a thermostat is a headache.
    the hardware should be working without pitting or corrosion. you will replace the lines but the faucet and anything shiny should look good and not be glued shut.
    a keg coupler is nice to have if it is included.
    co2 and a regulator is required. if you dont get the co2 see if you can get the regulator. that's about $45.
    lastly, make sure you can fit the type of keg you are thinking of. 1/2 barrel or sixtel for example. if you cant get a half barrel (15.5 gallons, a "keg") then you are limited to certain brands of beer. and 1/6 barrels are not very economical anyway. micromatic.com has the dimensions of kegs. your supplier can tell you what is available in your area and in what size.

you can build a nice kegerator for not alot of money. if $150 only gets you a converted fridge and you need to significantly invest in new hardware i wouldn't bother.
    free or nearly free working refrigerators are widely available on craigslist, ready to be modified.

good luck.
    cfh64 likes this.
  3. A used fridge, if working, is likely not worth $150, especially if it has holes drilled in it for beer lines (typically not done to a newer, high end fridge). Evaluate it as you would any used fridge for a non-critical application - your garage, for example. As billandsuz said, you can pick up a fridge in fine condition on Craigslist for not a heck of a lot of money and do the conversion yourself. If this fridge is in good shape (newer looking and it works well), and this includes a CO2 tank/regulator (frequently the most expensive piece), $150 may not be an unreasonable price, though, unless the fridge is nearly new, I wouldn't call it a steal.
  4. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Good points for sure.

I may have to look elsewhere as the fridge was stored in pretty ..........uncontrolled, to put it nicely, conditions. Ill definitely look closer at it, but it was pretty ugly on the outside from the quick look i saw. Could just be dust but also its been sitting, with a keg (1/2 keg so i know its plenty big enough) still inside it so im guessing the hardware's probably never been cleaned and i think may be all gunked to shit.

thanks for the info and ill definitely keep an eye on Craigslist and let you know what went down.

Is it better to keep the co2 inside or outside the fridge?
  5. Doesn't matter on the CO2
  6. Sounds like you'll at least be replacing some of the plumbing. Consider the additional cost in your decision.
    Regarding the location of the CO2 - the location doesn't affect the performance. You could even keep it in a different room if that's more convenient. I keep it outside because I see no sense in taking up space in the fridge with something that doesn't need to be kept cold.