1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Possible bad trader: VanS

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by ttp86, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttp86

ttp86 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2015 Missouri

I posted a thread back in early July looking to trade Heady for Pliny. @VanS and I agreed on a trade where I would send my 6 Heady then (mid July) in exchange for 3 Pliny now (late August) so the Heady would be fresh then and the Pliny is fresh for a tasting this weekend. At first communication was great he would reply back to messages very quick and he seems like really a nice guy. Long story short, I shipped him the 6 Heady with a bunch of extras to thank him for helping me out with the fresh Pliny. Contacted him 2 weeks ago asking if he could ship me my 3 Pliny as my tasting was coming up. I could see that he logged on and read the message but he didn't reply. I messaged him a week later asking the same. Again he logged in and read the message but no reply. Messaged him a 3rd time yesterday and still no reply.

I'm out 6 Heady and maybe $30 worth of extras so no big deal, just a irritated that this happens.

2. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It looks like you used the feedback function for this trade so you can always give them negative feedback if they don't deliver on their end. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Considering the other trader "lives just 10 min. away from RR so he has access to the freshest Pliny" one would think it would be an easy thing for him to deliver on his side of the deal. Hopefully he comes through on his end. Good luck OP.

blassor likes this.
  3. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Tagging @VanS for their side of the story.

Hope this works out OP.

ttp86 likes this.
  4. ttp86

That's one of the main reason why I wanted to do the trade with him thinking that he could easily get them from the brewery.

Thanks! Seems he is still active. Last time on was Sunday.

5. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

A couple of questions:
    - Do you still have an open trade with them?
    - If so, have you left feedback yet?

I would say that assuming all you have outlined above is correct, then this is a bad trade and the ship has sailed for your agreed to deal, since they would have to somehow get the beer to you in the next 2 days (seems unlikely).

Also - trades where no feedback is left from either person for 60 days will expire and be deleted, so you should at least leave neutral feedback now, which I believe you can always change later (at least for a few weeks you can change feedback); although based on 2 weeks of no communication I would say neutral at best is warranted even if they ship your beer today (unlikely since they haven't been on since Sunday).

I am tagging @F2brewers and @blue-dream (mods who are often dealing with bad trader threads): Can either of you confirm if this trade request will get deleted and if so, when? Is that something you can see? Just thinking that given the 60 day purge, then this trade will get deleted pretty soon based on the dates you mentioned above.

Either way, my suggestion is if all the above you have stated is legit, then leave feedback now since from what you have stated this is already a bad trade and you are out beer, shipping cost, and frankly out of time.

ttp86 and Brewzer1010 like this.
  6. ttp86

I still have an open feedback with him but he has already left me a Good feedback. I think the trade request was sent on the 13th of July so I'm going to give him until Sept 12th hoping that there is a reason why he hasn't reply and we could work this out. If I don't hear back by then I will go ahead and leave a negative feedback.

7. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

I may be a couple beers deep but I think you'll wanna go with Sept. 10th as July and August both have 31 days. Sorry to hear that you're (at least for now) getting stiffed and I hope everything works out.

mythaeus and ttp86 like this.
  8. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Pooh-Bah (2,092) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I think you've waited long enough. Three weeks with no reply. He's read you messages. He knows he owes you beer. Leave him the negative feedback now. You can always edit it later if need be, although it doesn't sound like you'll need too in this case.

9. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Seems reasonable, but isn't your tasting this weekend? This trader knew that right? That alone is deserving of negative feedback since the dates were part of the trade.
    (edit, and any reasonable person would take the bad feedback on the chin and own it with out complaint, and with much apologizing)

I mean, over the course of 2+ weeks they have read your messages and not responded. I can't think of a single reason where you have the time to log in and read a message, but don't have the time to send a quick reply to explain the situation.

I have been softer/more understanding of bad traders in the past and almost every time they turn out to be full of explanations, excuses, and ultimately, full of shit.

Time and again as I have read these threads I keep thinking 'this one sounds sort of reasonable' or 'geez, everyone is being harsh, they are trying to fix it'... It is me having hope in the better nature of people and rationalizing behavior from my perspective.

I have even suggested to people responding to the thread to ease up and give the bad trader time to fix (sorry, @dmbforever you were absolutely right, and I was wrong), and almost every time I have been proven wrong, and they have turned out to be a flaky douche bag who doesn't pull through on their end of the deal. The older / wiser / more experienced traders around here are like ninjas when it comes to spotting someone who isn't going to get their shit together and complete a trade.

Sorry to sound harsh, but at face value, this is a bad trade, and deserves feedback as such. Even if they came on today and overnighted you a box with day old Pliny and glorious extras, they still deserve negative feedback for the complete lack of communication, and frankly lack of respect for a trade partner they have left hanging.

ttp86 likes this.
  10. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Dude, if your tasting is this weekend and he knew it, then its time to leave negative feedback. If he ran in to problems and didn't think he could get the beer to you in time for the tasting he should have let you know, then made up for it with some awesome extras.

11. UcDru

UcDru Maven (1,363) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

If he left you feedback it will not get purged only trades with no feedback left by either party are subject to getting wiped. Hope you get your pliny!

NickWebster87 likes this.
  12. blue-dream

blue-dream Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Link to here posted in his profile page, he was last on sunday so hopefully he tells his side. But short of you getting a next day air box im sorry to say this most likely will not end well.

F2brewers likes this.
  13. ttp86

Thank you to everyone for your help and feedback! I still haven't heard back from Vans so I went ahead and left a Bad feedback and link to this thread.

I also want to give a huge thanks and shoutout to @Hopasouras. This guy was so awesome that we went out and got my the Pliny yesterday and actually shipped it yesterday! From the tracking info I will be getting the Pliny in time for my tasting. Great to see there are still beer adovcates out there. Expect an awesome thank you box coming your way buddy!

treznor, Eziel, gyoungit and 61 others like this.
  14. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2014 California

Truly a great gesture.

15. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Grand Pooh-Bah (3,248) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

KBS, tommyz, Mangbus and 3 others like this.
  16. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

tommyz, Mangbus and Mipper like this.
  17. Hopasouras

Hopasouras Devotee (328) Dec 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Not a problem at all @ttp86. I think you should have been taken care of as you took care of @VanS. I hope that other BAers would do the same if they lived close enough to the source to help out. As with other bad trader treads, I have seen the good in the community and the bad. I just want the good to outweigh the bad.

Cheers and I hope you enjoy the shipment.

18. Tbub18

Tbub18 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 New York

Respect. Like a fuckin boss

Badfish, rozzom, nsheehan and 6 others like this.
  19. dmbforever

dmbforever Initiate (0) May 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Wish I could like this more than once! This is how it should have been done from the start. In the end, I add one BA to my DTL and one to my *Class Act List* Awesome move! @Hopasouras.

Badfish, LehighAce06, tommyz and 5 others like this.
  20. HopSavant

HopSavant Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee

Fantastic gesture, @Hopasouras! Advocacy at its finest!

tommyz, rightcoast7, pagriley and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.