1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Possible job at a brewery? Wise decision?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Do you have school loans? If not, then do it.
    kemoarps likes this.
  2. Nobody else has addressed your Pros and Cons list, so allow me:

Your Cons are temporary - they all go away after maybe 6 months.
    Your Pros, however, are all long term.

I don't think you're undecided, I think you're just nervous about a big decision. That's natural, but don't let that confuse you about what you really want.
    Be sure to ace the interview!
    kemoarps, Eriktheipaman and Duff27 like this.
  3. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Based on your job title at the moment, I instantly thought you'd be taking a steep pay cut.

Similar pay, doing something your passionate about- I think you already know what you want to do.
    kemoarps likes this.
  4. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (270) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

If you were a 300lb sweaty guy we might not read all of this.
    craigo19 likes this.
  5. Have you talked to the brewery about what his business plan is to expand. I know you mentioned he has plans to do so, but have you really nailed him down on it and does it sound legit and accomplish-able?

It certainly sounds exciting, but you don't want to give up something that, as redundant as it may be, is bringing income and benefits only for the brewery deal to backfire in 6 months.

If it sounds legit...then for sure, go for it. If the pay is going to be about the same, then passion should outweigh all else.
    kemoarps and Eriktheipaman like this.
  6. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

I'm pretty sure they too, would choose brewing beer. I mean, who wouldn't?
    kemoarps likes this.
  7. this is what I thought too when initially reading it. No one has to be exact here, but what's the going rate for a head brewer in a start up brewery?
  8. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I still want to know which brewery. For example, I'm looking at my Snowy Mountain Brewery Coaster right now!
  9. you forgot the hashtag.

#yolo #swagbrew

Also....

You posted on a BEER forum about dropping a MONOTONOUS dead end drop in exchange for a job brewing beer....
    You should know what this indicates; you're a college girl, which means you took Psych.

Enjoy it. Plus you dont have to stay there, you can go move out somewhere "bigger" on the scene and either open your own brewery, or find yourself interviewing as head brewmaster of Founders, Bells, or Russian River.

Pull the trigger and send me a beer.....really. ;)
    kemoarps likes this.
  10. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

I say keep your job, in this economy, you can't be jumping around just like that. It's a job, its supposed to suck.

I am doing this in order for you to get like, one or two responses against the brewery job; and that way you can kid yourself that this was an impartial forum where you asked the question.
    kemoarps and Duff27 like this.
  11. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

I have been working in breweries for over 16 years now. I have worked with 100's of people of all levels of knowledge and success. There are two kinds of people who work in this industry. Those who are willing to take:low pay,long hours,extreme hot and cold,chemical burns,hearing loss,throwing out your back,mystery cuts on your hands and arms,doing mindless chores for hours on end;because they love beer. The other kind do it for a paycheck. The first group do it because after all the shit you put up with,making beer is part worker,scientist,artist;and there is no greater satisfaction than drinking your hard work everyday. The second group just want to pay their rent and get free low fills. Neither group is better or worse than the other. Just what I've experienced.

This job is not for everyone. There is the same office/corporate bullshit as a 'real' job. There are slackers just like a 'real' job. You will get mad and frustrated even while doing your dream job.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you. Lift with your legs. Don't mix caustic and acid.
    kemoarps, JimDH and Ri0 like this.
  12. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think you answered your own question when you said that you enjoyed yourself the few days that you shadowed someone at the brewery. Life is short not to take a chance once in a while. And life is definitely too short to wake up each morning to do a job that you hate when you could have the opportunity to do one that you love.

Go for it.
    kemoarps likes this.
  13. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Similar thing happened to me. I sent in my law school "sign on the dotted line" documents then got a call. I fucked up big time, and am still pissed about it.
    kemoarps likes this.
  14. Same here, save the wife situation. I've been doing the retail thing for awhile now, and am starting to pick up other scents if you catch my drift. To the OP, I say go for it, carpe diem and all that, because like it or not, we'll be spending most of our time working, so we might enjoy it and lead more fulfilling lives.

Nothing seems scarier and more madness inducing, than serving the rest of your life in servitude at a company that offers no growth and expansion, intellectual or otherwise. We were meant to live and enjoy ourselves, not serve at the pleasure of soul-sucking dullards, draining our precious lives away. We only have the privilege to live each day once, make sure that what you're doing is worth spending time that you'll never get back. Easier said than done but you know what I mean.

Good luck, and I hope to see you on the other side! First round is on me MammaGoose :)
  15. HopCraverDave

HopCraverDave Aficionado (130) Ohio Feb 20, 2013

This is a crazy thread to post here. Ask someone who knows you and cares about your actual life.

There are better things to talk about on this website, and I feel dumb for reading and responding to this.
    willbm3 likes this.
  16. Actually this is one of the better threads on this site. All too often threads on here turn into "measuring contests" nerdrage, or general beer douchery, IE: What's the worst brewery ever? What kinds of IPAs should I try?

Here we have an honest question and an overall positive feedback from a community of strangers that meet online to share a common interest. So please don't troll and say "I feel dumb for reading and responding to this, and ask someone who cares" simply to get people's feathers ruffled. There are plenty of other threads that you can participate on and end up getting them deleted.
    kemoarps likes this.
  17. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

I work in infectious disease research, trust me, the pay never gets better and if you are unhappy now it will get worse. I would take the brewery job in a heartbeat if it were me. I would love to do it myself so I'm a little jealous of you! Do it!
  18. Roll Tide Brotha!
    timontheroad likes this.
  19. I say GO FOR IT! It's better to try it now than regret it later.
  20. KenC

KenC Aficionado (240) New Jersey Jan 21, 2011

Twenty-five years ago I worked for a Fortune 500 company. I got a chance to make a move to a place that was more of a passion than paycheck.

As I stand at the cusp of retiring from my passion job, the twist of fate is unreal.

The Blue Chip shuttered its doors 15 years ago. The passion job has added positions, levels of responsibility and has competitive pay.

See any parallels here??
    kemoarps likes this.
  21. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Roll Tide back.
  22. You will go farther and enjoy life, which you only get to go through one time, if you support yourself pursuing a passionate career. Can you picture yourself ever saying "I am sure glad I spent all my life testing thoramabobradioduhickeys" (laymans term) instead of jumping on what could be the coolest job in history. I sir am jealous of your choices! Good luck!
  23. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Uhhh... Get in there?
  24. You asked the question you know the answer before.
  25. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (555) Washington Apr 30, 2008

DON'T DO IT!

(there was so much love for the brewery job SOMEONE had to advocate[] for poor thorium)

But seriously, it sounds like you have an opportunity to work in an industry about which you are passionate, and too few people have/take that opportunity.
    Sounds like even if the hours are wonky/the income takes a minor hit you're set up to be able to handle it. Do what you love. As many have said: it's better to go for it and have it not work out then to perpetually wonder, what if....
  26. MSmooth

MSmooth Aficionado (100) Colorado Sep 28, 2006

Do what you love and the money will come.
  27. Brewery job, for sure. (And I work in a science lab if that gives me any sort of non-BA credibility :)). You're already tired of your current job; can you imagine what it's going to be like in six more months? A year? So you're probably going to leave that job eventually. Why not work at a brewery while you figure out what's next? You can always leave that job for something else later on down the road..
  28. If you get a chance to do something you enjoy. Don't pass it up.
  29. You're a scientist that likes to drink good beer.

The solution should be trivial.
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  30. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

I'd say go for it. A job that you love doing isn't really a job at all.
  31. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

I am torn on what to tell you. While I am a proud BA, I am also a proud RTA (Radium & Thorium Advocate). If you ever want to trade, I never ticked Wyoming Thorium and could send you some Greensboro, VT Radium that everyone says is the best (and it is waxed!).

Good luck in your choice.
  32. mkorpal

mkorpal Savant (265) Colorado Oct 28, 2007

I think I could guess which one.
  33. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

Just go for the brewery job. Radium and whatever will be waiting for you if it doesn't work out. And, I'm pretty sure it will work out.
  34. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Go for it. You'll regret it if you don't.
    TheBushman likes this.
  35. haknort

haknort Savant (265) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

I was lucky enough to assist a brewmaster at a local brewpub called Prairie Rock in Illinois.

It was awesome. We'd get in at 9am, sample a beer, load the screw hopper, sample a beer, start a brew, sample a beer, rack, sample a beer, then the restaurant would feed us.

I seriously can't think of a better job.
    kemoarps likes this.
  36. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Agreed unless someone on here knows you really well its hard for us to give good advice listen to what people say here but take it less seriously (including me) than someone you know really well and trust ask your boyfriend what he thinks will make you happy not just whether or not you'll be ok financially there are many more important things in the world than money.
    kemoarps likes this.
  37. After recently graduating college I've been on the look out for a craft beer industry job and have applied to 20+ places and have gotten interviews with some companies that many of you know. Currently in the running for something but we'll see how it goes...

I know that working in the craft beer industry is all I really want in life. My life would be absolutely perfect if I had such a job. You can always find money, but only a few people can ever find their true passion. I'm lucky I have and you too are lucky to be given such an opportunity.

Follow your dreams, passions, and happiness; money will follow.
  38. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Thank you for all the incredibly encouraging responses!!! I'll try to address a few of the things pointed out...

First, I talked to my sweet boyfriend (as much of a beer/homebrewer as I am), and he's thrilled about it. Even with my full time science gig, he's still the main breadwinner between us. We have no kids, no student loans, no debt. We're about to become homeowners, but our mortgage will actually be cheaper than our monthly rent (obviously there will be some extra costs of home maintenance). Our cost of living is reasonably low, so me taking a pay cut for awhile won't be too troublesome.

Secondly, at this point, I KNOW I would regret it if I passed up an opportunity to at least interview. I know this because I passed up the position 6 months ago, and I've always kicked myself for it. Now I get a do over.

And yes, I know I pretty blatantly answered my own question, hehe. The radiochemistry job isn't bad, but as many pointed out, if I'm bored now, it won't get better. It's been excellent experience, but I couldn't do it forever. The job lures many science grads in, they work there for a year or two until they find something better, and leave. I have a bachelor of science in agriculture science and molecular biology. The brewer told me that my science background was what set me apart from candidates around the country who had graduated from brew school on the first go round.

I know that it's still a job. I'm certainly not expecting to be frolicking in rivers of beer and getting paid for it. I'll be mopping floors, cleaning kegs, hauling 50lbs of grain, etc. I've done plenty of labor, and as I mentioned, I would much rather work laboriously than sit at a desk. The beer industry is obviously something I love and I would do any heavy lifting bitchwork to get my foot in the door. That's only the beginning of what could be a career with an expanding company in a booming industry.

So, I replied to the head brewer and said heck yes I'd like to schedule an interview. :)
  39. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

40. This pretty much ends the thread right here. Very few people ever have the opportunity to pursue their passion. We're told that we can "be whatever we want when we grow up" but given the limitations in society this is also an unattainable dream for many (not all of course). So when opportunity comes you got to grab it. Such opportunities usually don't come once for people, it's come twice now for you. You blew it the first time and are getting a second shot at it. Don't blow it again.

Oh and when you become a big shot brewer, don't forget my little inspirational talk here. ;)
    kemoarps likes this.