1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Possible new flossmoor station location

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by nasty31, Feb 20, 2013.

1. nasty31

nasty31 Savant (250) Indiana May 5, 2010

spointon, dsal89 and evoljetta like this.
  2. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Is this like an exchange for three Floyd's opening a bar in Chicago?

3. ISO: Hammond Station Wooden Heck (Pre)

4. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (265) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

A very uneven exchange if it is. Flossmoor is king of brewer turnover.

spointon and Theeabyss like this.
  5. burica2020

^^^ - big bully guppy fan. I get your point though, but their sour experiments over the last year I found to be pretty good. Their recent barrel aged beers haven't done much for me. I'm also not sure if a brewer leaving every 2 or 3 years is that big of a turnover? Seems kinda average, unless your the head brewer of a brewery you own.

6. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I would be ok with this. Not having to drive 35 minutes for a release would be great.

7. stephenieman

stephenieman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2011

Speaking of: Did they change Brewers again recently?
    The blog is now run by "Bjorn" but it used to be... great, I forget his name. The previous fellow lived in my neighborhood in Chicago which makes for a wicked commute down to Flossmoor.
    It woulnt surprise me in the least if the commute got the best of him.

8. burica2020

Anyone making the drive for..................

Saturday, February 23rd
    Fireside Chat...
    11% BA Barleywine and it is smooth and delicious!
    (This beer will make you thankful for cold winter mornings!)
    Tickets begin at 10am
    6 bottle limit person
    (means the first 110 people are guaranteed bottles)
    $15/bottle

9. dsal89

^^Im thinking about calling off work to go...

10. Going to try and make the release this time. Any idea how early people were getting there for the BA Pullman Brown release? Do I need to bring my tailgate grill and make breakfast?

pschul4 and dsal89 like this.
  11. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (340) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Where in Chicago will said FFF bar be opening? How have I not heard of this yet? #livesunderrock

12. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

There has been speculation about this in the thread dedicated to this news, but I recently hear that a lot of those guys live in Pilsen/Bridgeport so they may be targeting those hoods.

13. burica2020

they said in a tribune article a few months ago they planned on it. Pilsen/bridgeport/Ukraine Village are all pretty metal so I assume there.

14. DHS1029

Ugh I really hope not Pilsen, I don't care to be shot at or have my car stolen. Bridgeport would be alright, especially after catching a Sox game

15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Yea, the line to get in wouldn't be long enough already.

dsal89 likes this.
  16. DHS1029

Ukrainian Village would be perfect - my dad lives right there. I imagine if it were located there it would be somewhere on Division

17. I'd imagine not very. I showed up later that night and they had plenty. No crazy turnout.

18. NO. Flossmoor will have to have some big changes if they want to produce a larger brewery and production facility IMO. I mean, does anyone buy their bottles in stores?

19. dsal89

Seen them at a few stores and passed on it every time. I swear i thought i saw their IPA in a bomber for 10 bucks. That is absurd or an ipa, imo.

15 bucks for their barrel aged stuff is awesome though

20. burica2020

I think everyone that's a fan or been a fan has known that that places survives as a restaurant first and a brewery second.

WITTBEER and kawilliams81 like this.
  21. ...which is why great brewers get stifled and leave/are pushed out.

In terms of craft beer, Flossmoor will likely be known as, "that place Matt Van Wyk made Wooden Hell that one time."

Theeabyss, WITTBEER and burica2020 like this.
  22. burica2020

...and hi-fi rye which was made again by mr shimkos and put into barrells.

23. yock

yock Aficionado (205) Indiana Jun 22, 2005

Does anyone know where Brian Shimko is these days?

24. burica2020

half acre last I heard but I also think I recently heard he left and was lookin to start his own thing.

25. Brian is at Hofbrauhaus Rosemont.

But still working on a modified plan for his brewery/school endeavor.

makdeco and Theeabyss like this.
  26. flurker

flurker Aficionado (125) Illinois Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, Nick went to GI Clybourn. Bjorn had been his assistant since I can't remember when.

Theeabyss likes this.
  27. burica2020

Holy shit do they go through brewers, nick Barron went to clybourn? Christ, what do they pay there, minimum wage?

28. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Are you joking? Pilsen isn't Englewood...

29. DHS1029

It's also rife with Kings and all their bullshit... just cause its not South Side doesn't mean its a great neighborhood. There are better neighborhoods than Pilsen where the bar could be built.

SWChi likes this.
  30. lurchingbeast

Installed a revolving door to the brew house to ease the burden.

kawilliams81, WITTBEER and burica2020 like this.
  31. He's at HofbraĆ¼haus in Rosemont.

EDIT: Alum said it. Reading thread before replying is still for suckers.

sliverX likes this.
  32. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (355) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Dear God, I would hate to have to "survive" on their food.

33. burica2020

I've heard this before and feel like I must say something......granted its not rev brewing, but as A-typical pub food goes its not bad. Its a brewpub in the burbs, its not Ruxbin or Ada Street. Its certainly better then Dennys or Chili's, right?

34. I wonder if assistant brewers at Flossmoor Station start there thinking, "man, I can't wait to leave this place as head brewer in 18 months."

spointon, Gonzoillini, Treebs and 2 others like this.
  35. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (615) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I completely agree. I hear people complaining about their food all the time, but I've never had a bad experience. In fact, at the Pullman Reserve release, I really enjoyed my meal! And the service has been top-notch the last couple times I was there.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  36. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (355) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Yes, its better than Dennys or Chili's. But there are definitely much better places to eat in the area. I lived in Homewood for 6 years before moving to the city. I've probably eaten there 12-15 times in the last 10 years. Each time I said I wouldn't do it again. But I've gone back because my daughter is still in Homewood, so its an easy dinner when I pick her up. But it is by no means good food, even for the suburbs. When I lived there, I took people that were visiting and not one said they ever wanted to go back. Yet every one craves Aurelio's after they have it. And these are people from rural towns. Hell, Lassen's dive ass bar has 200x better food than Flossmoor. Maybe I, or anyone with me, just orders the wrong thing every time. Who knows.

I've never actually been to a release there, so I can't vouch for that. I understand its not the city, its not going to be Rev or FFF or whoever, but the way brewpubs are these days, the food needs to complement the beer. And that's fine, it's just not what they are going for. As mentioned, its just a normal old fashioned family restaurant with a better beer selection.

37. lurchingbeast

Now I have to get Aurelio's after work tomorrow. Thanks jag ;)

NSK79, mbockstruck30 and burica2020 like this.
  38. burica2020

Extra sauce!

averagejake872 and NSK79 like this.
  39. birchholz

birchholz Savant (280) Illinois Jul 21, 2010

My experience with the food has been mixed. The first time I went I had a burger that was dry and overcooked, and the server seemed annoyed that I was there. Since then I've had a few good things and others that were not as good. The nachos and salsa was pretty poor, but the beer cheese soup is excellent. The service is has been much better. I don't usually go for a meal. I go for the beer and can usually find something to munch on. I've described the place to friends as a mediocre family restaurant with a decent brewery attached.

40. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Save some for me Saturday/10