1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

possible tp make a super high abv beer with mr beer?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by eckstg, Dec 25, 2012.

1. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

No need to filter it. Galena is a different flavor from Chinook. Chinook was kind of a big deal in there. Galena is a high alpha acid hop and mainly used for bittering. Nugget is mainly used for bittering or flavor. Cascade is all around.

Do you have a auto siphon to get your beer out of your... cooler? I hope you don't plan to pour it.

How much volume did you have? 1.110 sounds off for that.. Should be around 1.080 give or a take a little. I bet you didn't mix your top off water in well, or you don't have 2 gallons in there.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Cool! This would be a really good time to read www.howtobrew.com .

1) What?
    2) This would be a really good time to read www.howtobrew.com .

3. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Zealot (80) Georgia Dec 26, 2012

I live in Ga. and the average temp. really don't support the expence of a central heating unit. I'm from sw. Oh., and they usually only get about 2 weeks of anything even close to what I think of as winter. A mild one at that, and that ain't even all at once.

4. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I find it amusing eckstg expresses fermentation progress as a function of abv.

Keep on keeping on, eckstg.

5. eckstg

eckstg Disciple (65) Aug 15, 2012

Nope. Gonna have to check into this. Pretty much what i need?

6. Ha. This thread gets funnier every time I look at it.

cavedave, FATC1TY and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  7. eckstg

Well i made the mistake of putting 2 quarts water into my cooler then just adding the wort after boiling and the wort had boiled away alot. The guy was using the mr beer keg and filling to its marks and since i was using a 2 gallon water cooler i didnt have the marks to be sure andnow impretty sure its less than should be but has been sitting in the cooler sealed and fermenting for a few days now. Too late to add any more water or etc now right?

The cooler has a spicket that i was gonna use like the mr beer keg but im sure i got too much gunk in there. I looked at the auto siphons and guessing a 5/16 is what i should get? Will it work ok with the cooler lid cracked enough to get in and siphon out or should i take the lid off and use a plastic cover of some kind on top and make a hole just big enough for the siphon?

Saw those tap a drafts and will have to get that set they look perfect for having 1.6gal of draft beer in the fridge that probaly takes up as much space as a 12 pack.

8. Jimjohson

Yes, 'cause you don't want to disturb the trub. Doing it old school ain't an option either, bacteria. Don't want to pour, oxygenating not desirable at this point and wil disturb trub. Also I have read on-line that filtering, like you were doing it, not a good idea as this also 'causes oxygenation. Luckily I read this before I started and used a muslim sacks, so I don't know, first hand, if the filtering part is true.

9. eckstg

Well checked my first mr beer batch other day. original gravity was 1.066 to the bestof my knowledge and the last one after adding another packet of yeast and moving to an environment where it stays at roughly 66 degrees after six days it was at 1.030 which puts it at roughly 4.8% abv if my math is correct. Decent level of abv there and proud it didnt stay too low and hoping here in about 5 days it will have improved somewhat but regardless at that time ill put it into bottles.

10. eckstg

After reading quiet a bit of www.howtobrew.com looks like my biggest mistakes thus far were adding and depending on the kits yeast. Not making a yeast starter. Not chilling the wort enough. Not Aerating enough. Maybe the first 2 batches will be drinkable but my 3rd batch im looking forward to geting togethor. Reading on how to calculate ibus, yeast strains with high attenuation, and balancing a beer, has been very interesting. Hell i even purchased a aquarium air pump and bubble stones and stick on thermometers today in preparation for batch 3. Very good read and looking forward to getting a recipie togethor i find interesting to make for batch 3!

11. ¡¡¡¡¡NO!!!!!
    DO NOT PUT YOUR BEER INTO BOTTLES UNTIL THE GRAVITY READING IS CONSISTENT FOR 3 DAYS!!!

(yes, I am screaming. You don't want fucking bottle bombs, which you WILL get if you bottle a 1.060+ beer at 1.030 - and it take me a lot to swear online)

Kit yeast generally sucks, but dry yeast doesn't require oxygenation. To figure out a correct pitching rate, look at mrmalty.com 's pitching rate calculator, especially if you are using a smaller than 5 gallon kit...

cavedave and Jimjohson like this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Sounds like you have a guilty conscience, my guess is you're Catholic. ;)

13. Well, I do drink a lot. : )

14. Jimjohson

he said Catholic, not Irish. ;)

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  15. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I have having a fun time reading this thread. Thanks OP!

16. Is that Martin Van Buren in your avatar?

17. SeaOfShells

Yes sir. The one and only!

18. Please explain...and be creative...I know his dad was a tavern keeper : )

19. SeaOfShells

Well, I happen to be an admirer of facial hair and early presidents. I'm something of a history buff also. Apart from that, I have a "brewery" that I am starting called Van Buren Brewing Co.

Jimjohson likes this.
  20. Well, Martin Van Buren was no Ronald Reagan...that's probably a good thing...unless you live in Simi Valley : )

21. eckstg

If i check the gravity of my mr beer batch everyday for 3 days straight after checking it a couple times already i might not have anything left to bottle!

22. Jimjohson

Yeah I kinda noticed that myself. At least with the first one, the O.G, you can pour it back in. If you disinfected your sample tube. I intend to give it three weeks in fermenter, and take two readings at the end one day apart. Or to be exact take the first when I get up at 0 dark thirty. The second around 40 or so hrs later, just before bed the next day. Net loss 2 sample tubes worth. Personally I intend to drink them to the sample beer(waste not, want not). In my opinion we're just not makin' enough beer, to run samples like the big boys do. Now having said all that, be aware you've probably been doing this longer than me. My second batch gets bottled tomorrow. That's assuming the gravity hasn't changed Or changed damn little, to allow for small mistakes due to inexperience in using the equipment. Guess I'll know tonight, but with three weeks in fermenter I'm willing to bet it's done.

23. VikeMan

- Don't check every day for 3 days. Check once. Then check again 3 days later.
    - If you sanitize your hydrometer jar, you can return the sample to the fermenter.

24. Jimjohson

Like I said my second batch. Not disputeing, asking to be corrected; I thought it was undesirable to aerate at this point. I don't see anyway to return it without aeration.

25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Wow this thread has turned into an advertisement for doing some reading and getting some knowledge before starting on the path to brewing beer.

OP good luck to you in your future endeavors, and please do not bottle your beer before it is ready, bottle bombs are not a good thing, and in fact can cause damage, injury, hard to clean messes, and semi permanent smells.

26. VikeMan

Pour very gently to minimize. But if you're very concerned about oxygenation, don't do it at all.

27. eckstg

ty

Jimjohson likes this.
  28. eckstg

ty but as johnson said is opening the fermenter to pout the sample in and aerating or letting the air inside escape a vey bad idea?

29. eckstg

i put my second batch in a 2 gallon water cooler as a fermenter with a spicket and have been very concerned lately as to if that is not such a great idea due to possible explosion or anything. what are your thoughts?

I also hace a square chest cooler that holds maybe 25 gallons and been thinking of putting togethor a very large batch in the future in it if its ok to use a fermenter. are these fine to use also as fermenters?

30. Jimjohson

I've read thru howtobrew now I'm studying my way thru. Going to have to gety the book(s). Also belong to this site and a couple of others. Just reading thru the posts are a wealth of inform

Ty. The way my luck usually runs I probably shouldn't try to pour it back. :rolleyes:

31. Jimjohson

ation (of course it didn't all go)...

32. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (280) Iowa May 15, 2011

Reading this thread kind of grinds my gears so allow me to rant a bit here! I understand that MR Beer is a gateway brew kit and that is how I got into the hobby. That said when I got my MR Beer and before opening the box I started reading about it and after a little research I took that thing back to the store and used the money to by a real home brew starter kit. Newbies you need to know that anything worth doing is worth doing right MR beer is not doing it right! Your going to make something that looks like beer and tastes like CRAP! You will get discouraged and leave the hobby without ever knowing you can make great beer at home!
    Another thing that drives me crazy here is Newbies thinking that it is a good idea to make a 12% abv beer or some exotic DIPA there first time out. Brewing these types of beers is hard enough even with years of experience and high quality brewing equipment realistically MR Beer is up to the task. When you first get started slow down and take some baby steps! Make something easy the first 2 or 3 times you need to get your process down and learn the capabilities of your system!
    Approaching home brewing any other way will only lead to frustration and disappointment! I took a slow measured approach to brewing and it has paid off 10 batches in and I only had one off batch. So slow down,research things, learn the process and when your first brew turns out great you will see that doing it right is the only way to go.

33. The more I read this thread the more I think we are being gamed

cavedave likes this.
  34. VikeMan

I seriously doubt that. My girlfriend Lennay says she is eckstg's cousin.

cavedave and Rau71 like this.
  35. Stop posting in here and it will go away. That'd be best, and we all know it.

cavedave likes this.
  36. eckstg

I checked my mr beer abv on 1/25/13 and it was at 1.018 which puts it at roughly 6.4% since the OG was at 1.066. Very satisfied it climbed some after my last check. Plan to check it again today. Hopefully it will not taste too bad. Thxs everyone for ur help!

37. SeaOfShells

Ha, make no mistake. I might live in Simi Valley but I ain't no 'publican.

38. SeaOfShells

Don't be afraid to taste your beer at various stages even before it's been carbed. It's always good to see how it evolves.

39. I wish I could convince my beer snob son of that...but he's not a homebrewer...yet.

40. eckstg

my 1st batch mr beer has been bottled! My mr beer fermenter is empty and i need receipes/ideas toget it back into production!