Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

possible tp make a super high abv beer with mr beer?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by eckstg, Dec 25, 2012.

1. kjyost

kjyost Champion (775) Manitoba (Canada) May 4, 2008 Verified

6# Wheat DME
    0.5# Cara Munich

20 IBUs of bittering hops @ 60
    2 oz Amarillo @ 10 mins
    2 oz Amarillo @ Flame out (steep 10 mins before chilling)
    2 oz Amarillo dry hop.

Divide by 2 for a Mr Beer fermenter. Kinda like Gumball Head.
  2. eckstg

eckstg Disciple (65) Aug 15, 2012

Thanks for this interesting receipe! Not really comfortable giving it a go yet. I'm leaning toward some experimenting with distiller yeast, Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast, & nottingham yeast in 3 different batches of the 90 minute ipa from these 2 videos by adding extra malt extract to give it a higher og gravity and possibly higher abv level in the end. Plan to make 2 gallons using the distillers yeast, 5 gallons using nottingham, & 5 gallons using Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast to see how high the abv gets to and how muchdifference is between their taste.

I need an og of 1.175 in all 3 batches in order to give the distiller yeast enough to allow it to ferment up to 22% potential. How much extra extract should i add in order to reach that high of an og level?
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (930) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

I'll skip the part where I recommend you don't try this, but I'll see your bold font and raise you italics. Please read this....

For the love of God, click here

It's the exact page in How to Brew that will answer your question. And then read the rest of it.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (930) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

I think I'm starting to agree. I just realized that OP basically said "I'm not comfortable trying to brew a simple wheat beer, but please help me with my 22% ABV beer." I'm out.
  5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Savant (485) Nevada Dec 4, 2008 Verified

No comment. : )
  6. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Quickly explain to me what you are talking about. I can't help but think this is the troll of the year, thus far.
  7. eckstg

Well im just curious to find out just how high the distillers yeast will get the abv to and if it really is that much worse tasting compared to using nottingham and champagne yeast. I think nottingham at its best should only reach 12% if lucky so im thinking in its batch just adding enough extra malt to potentionally reach that and the champagne yeast batch maybe enough for 15%. Should be a fun experiment.
  8. oregone likes this.
  9. eckstg

After reading and thinking more and adding the cost i came to the conclusion that it may be best for me to just try brewing small gallon batches instead of chancing blowing the dough on larger batches for brews that is considered stupid. I am just having fun getting into the hobby. I figure with 1 gallon batches being well over a 6 pack apeice which is plenty to decide whether the recipe is worth keeping or tossing would save time and cost wasting on larger batches and maybe more eperience gained.

The only trouble here would be buying multiple small fermenters which would be costly.I looked around online and came to the conclusion that using empty gallon milk,tea, or whatever contianers might work fine with blowoff tubing and superglue as airlocks?

I noticed northernbrewer is some cheaper than midwest but neither has 1 lb chinook pellets.
  10. kjyost

You can use pretty much any empty 1 gallon container as a fermenter (cheap 1 gallon wine jugs are good). and get a proper sized drilled bung for the opening with an airlock.
  11. eckstg

I noticed those bungs made with the airlock holes and they seem to make things simple enough. Those wine jugs would be great but id hate to have to drink all that wine for the containers. I plan to get the tap a draft system and buy many extra 1.5 gallon containers and now thinking maybe i could use those as primary fermenters and put bungs and airlock on them. When fermentation ends maybe just add the priming sugar straight in and cap it while leaving the trub in there? They have spickets and when i tap into them from the fridge i could just pay attention to when i get close to the bottom and the trub starts getting out then toss the rest?

Another thing isnt there the possibility the airlocks could be blown off on higher abv batches and u have to use blow off tubing in that case? Or is that a very rare thing?
  12. kjyost

I cut off the X at the bottom of the airlock and attach a hose to the top to avoid blowoff when I am concerned. It is not that rare, you should leave 20% headspace in a fermenter minimum.

As for your idea with a Tap a Draft, I have no clue. I would not leave trub in my serving vessel though.
  13. eckstg

After reading and thinking more about this i noticed their was a coors lite home draft system that can be used as the tap a draft system which can be purchased cheaper and you get the beer as a bonus. I never seen these in my area all i see is the newcastle and heineken mini tin kegs. I did some checking around online and it appears they can possibly reused with C02 canisters or maybe somehing called a TAD system? If not i think worse case scenerio i can drill a hole in them add my homebrew and priming sugar after primary fermentation is done and add a bung and somehow have the hole in the bung sealed off and it supposedly will condition in there enough to have enough carbination to use its tap in a week or 2 with the homebrew.

Anyone tried doing any of this with these heineken mini kegs?
  14. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (455) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

What's most astounding / notable / surpriising about _this_ thread is it 1) has 'Mr Beer' in its SUBJECT...2) ranks #1 in REPLIES (more active than 'Heady Topper') ...and 3) is 16th in VIEWS.
  15. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (480) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Let's keep that going.
  16. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (400) Michigan Dec 14, 2006 Verified

Dude, Seriously? Just buy a regular starter equipment kit from Northern brewer or a similar homebrew shop like everyone else. You just started. Quit trying to inovate or jerry rig stuff and learn the fundamentals first. Read the book, buy the kit and no more brewing until then, OK? This thread is annoying the shit out of me.
    sergeantstogie and VikeMan like this.
  17. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (455) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Assumes facts not in evidence...eh?

RDWHAHB dude.
    Jimjohson likes this.
  18. eckstg

This heineken from the mini kegs is pretty darn good to me. Seemed most others from the threads about converting them for homebrew use didnt like it very much.

I ordered ingredients needed for a one gallon batch of ipa with enough malt for 22% abv using the DADY distillers yeast and 1 gallon ipa with enough malt for 12% abv using nottingham yeast. For fermenters im gonna use empty milk jugs with blowoff tubing ran from the lids using superglue to seal them off.

I do not own a siphon yet so maybe i could just punch a hole in the side of the milk jug a little above where the trub has settled after primary fermentation is complete and let that drain into another container and toss the primary fermenter containing the trub when done?

Appears to reuse these minikegs ill need a 2-piece mini-keg bung,a Presta valve, and a CO2 charger. Drill a 3/4-inch hole in the keg insert the bung with the presta valve inserted in the bung and use a charger to add co2 like adding air into a bicycle tire. Maybe itll be as easy as it sounds.

19. Okay, I've brewed exactly one batch myself, so I'm far from an expert, but I feel like overcomplicating things like you're doing is the quickest way for something to go horribly wrong. Also, if you keep it simple, you don't have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of equipment you don't know how to use.

If you insist on doing it your way, please post video of the kitchen/garage you've blown up.
    Jimjohson likes this.
  20. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Zealot (80) Georgia Dec 26, 2012

Nothing is ever as easy as it sounds.;)
  21. eckstg

Luckily my distillers yeast was out of stock and my money refunded right before i found out it needs to ferment around 90 degrees!

Got all the ingredients in to make a gallon batch using nottingham with enough malt added to allow the possibility of it fermenting up to 14% and also another batch same recipe using ec1118 with enough malt to ferment up to 18% just for a fun experiment to see what happens.

Checked the gravity of my 90 minute ipa receipe with instructional video from youtube after 3 weeks and it may be bogus but the reading showed 1.022. My OG was at 1.110 because im sure i didnt add as much water as i was suppose to. Used 2 different hydrometers since i had broke my first. If that is correct it is around 11.7% abv now and has a nice taste and smell. If it isnt bogus i will deff be doing this receipe over and over.I added some mutons dry yeast with it and fermented it in a 2 gallon water cooler. Wouldu think i just read the readings incorrectly or is a big beer like such really not that hard or big a deal to make?

Got my income taxin and on the top of the list is the tap a draft system. Draft homebrew which doesnt take up much room in the fridge sounds great! Imhoping i can force carbonate inside the systems bottles so i could maybe trim out much of the waiting time.Anyone tryied or do force carbonate inside the tap a draft bottles?