Possibly repitching for bottle condtioning

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by bszern, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I have a rye pale ale fermenting in a bucket right now. Temperature of the beer is 60 degrees, and I am afraid that most of the yeast has settled to the bottom. The last beer I bottled in this condition took over 2 months to fully carb, and I don't want to deal with that again (pretty hoppy beer and I don't want to lose any of the aromas and flavors). Any harm in throwing a pack of US-05 into the bottling bucket when I rack it?

2. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

What's the beer's gravity?

3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (475) Utah May 2, 2006

No harm. I'd rehydrate the yeast first and mix well. Also, I'd probably not use a whole pack of dry yeast. Maybe 1/4 pack or so.

OddNotion likes this.
  4. Beer's gravity is 1.016 (target was 1.014).

5. “Any harm in throwing a pack of US-05 into the bottling bucket when I rack it?” No harm whatsoever.

You really shouldn’t need to pitch ‘extra’ yeast at bottling but I suspect that doing so will give you peace of mind and it will indeed do no harm.

You don’t really need a whole pack but pitching a whole pack won’t do any harm. If you would prefer to just pitch a portion of the pack (e.g., the ¼ that utahbeerdude mentions) that would be sufficient yeast for bottling purposes. Unless you have the means to vaccum pack the remaining portion of yeast I would recommend you just throw it away.

Cheers!