1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Possibly the best kept secret in sour beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by justyouraveragebeerguy, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Oude Gueuze Tilquin seen here:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25923/70745

Is pretty widely available and is made from blending the same lambics Cantillion and Drie Fonteinen use to make their Gueuze's. Now I know they are fairly new and for now just blend lambics, but why aren't these flying off the shelves? IMO it tastes the same or better than Cantillion or 3F lambics! Let me repeat these are exactly the SAME beer as Cantillion and 3F lambics just under a different blender (ik blending matters a lot but if your base beer is that amazing it's pretty hard to mess up!)

TheSamKuehn, jtdolla911 and alysmith4 like this.
  2. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

'tis no secret around here :)

3. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I've had Tilquin and 3F Gueuze back to back and don't think they taste the same, but they both taste very good.

dar482 likes this.
  4. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuusssssssssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

franklinn, cavedave, suspect and 11 others like this.
  5. yeah I guess I should have worded it, "equally as good"

6. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

3F is more intense, but I can see how some people would prefer Tilquin.

7. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I just had St. Louis oude and I didn't care for it I'm wondering if I won't like cantillon or not because I have an order sitting in an online cart for a few hundred dollars worth I'm unsure of whether to pull the trigger mostly Cantillon Kreik, Iris, Classic, and I think Rose

8. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

When one makes a "best kept secret" thread, the secret is no longer kept. You sir, are untrustworthy.

BRB, going to buy some.

9. Those kegs disappear fast, and I dont think Ive ever seen a bottle on a shelf for more than a few hours.

10. Not a secret as such but a great buy is Rodenbach grand Cru

dar482, cavedave, bgramer and 7 others like this.
  11. Cantillon is good but not really worth hundreds of dollars. It does make it to the U.S. but your best option is to search for a regular trading partner in Europe, they love what america is doing with craft beer. I'm sending a 12bottle shipper to a buddy of mine in Spain who is a distributor and he i sending me some Cantillion and 3F in return.

luwak likes this.
  12. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I can not find it where I live. I'm interested though and the Belgium shops are the only online shops I've found that carry it

13. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

I know a better secret...:eek:

14. It's a shelf beer here , for the large bottles. On tap it is really good as well. The larger bottle is about $25 and sometime I see the smaller bottles at around $13 or so. I prefer small single serve bottles so mainly buy a few when I see them.

Enjoy

15. haha that's what I was talking about. Fou Foune used to be a shelf beer!

16. Tilquin is real good , but I think Boon Mariage Parfait is a sleeper.

17. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, but have you ever had a Shamrock Shake?!

ESeab, Hugonaut13, Benny3000 and 3 others like this.
  18. flavirufus

flavirufus Zealot (75) Illinois Nov 4, 2011

I would have to say it isn't yet on the level of 3f and Cantillon. We just had it on tap where I work and I drank a ton of it. Sours arent very popular where I am so it lasted a good while. I find it to have a lot less depth that 3f or Cantillon. No where near the funk and mustiness as I had side by side with 3F. But if you don't like those things it might be better to you.

19. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Agreed, but I don't see it anymore. The mariage parfait kriek was really good and i loved being able to buy it a couple times a month for half a year.

Now for my sleeper that you can find...Liefmans cuvee-brut. This stuff has great cherry flavor, it is not a complete sour bomb but fills the sour fix. Flavor is really good try it if you haven't...don't expect lambic level sourness though.

20. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (275) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

The Sour Series from Arbor Brewing:
    Demetrius - barrel aged sour IPA
    Sodobo - barrel aged blonde sour
    Framboozled - wild ale with raspberries and strawberries
    Flamboyant Wild Amber - sour flanders

In that order.

camil1mj likes this.
  21. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

it's too expensive

22. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (275) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

What's too expensive?

23. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Not anymore.

24. speaking of shelf beers, just bought a 08 cantillon grand cru brouscella off shelf today. 25$, will be having it shortly. all lambics are shelf beers in calgary, quite sad. 09 and 10 cantillons on shelf and 11 tilquins and 3f

25. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Sadness is not an emotion I registered upon reading this.

luwak, franklinn, mikecharley and 2 others like this.
  26. There is a Cantillon shelf turd secret in the US. . .

27. I think I pay like $10 for the 375ml bottle. The price may keep it from flying off of the shelves, but compared to the others on that same shelf (Timmerman's, Hanssen's) it's a steal.

Now you guys have me paranoid, though, that word will get out ;). Maybe I should get some more for the cellar- just in case...

28. I remember a day when Cantillion and 3F sat on the shelves everywhere. Sadly, those days are far gone. I wonder what happened?

Oh, that's right, it's because people like you start stupid threads like this one. Thanks alot for contributing to the downfall.

mcc1654, Tmappin and jRocco2021 like this.
  29. Oh for God's sake I only tried Tilquin for the first time on Monday. It's great stuff.

Can we stop blowing it up already?

30. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

There are several cases sitting in my local shop as we speak....if your post is seen by people in my area and the supply is subsequently sold I will be suing you.

31. Good call. Boon gets slammed for sweetening their kriek and frambois, but they certainly don't sweeten this one. Bonus points for being 8% ABV.

32. It's priced well for the market. Which is why it's fairly easy to get. The percentage of beer drinkers that can buy it regularly generally drop their money on Cantillon because it's shows how hard you ball. Tilquin isn't as cool.

Great gueuze though. It shot into the top of the pack very quickly.

33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Are there people out there that have the option of either picking Tiquin or Cantillon off the shelf? I see Tiquin on the shelf all the time where Cantillon I've only seen a few times and it was hush hush wink wink behind the counter.

34. F2brewers

F2brewers Moderator (440) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2005 Staff Member

If I may add a bit more information and clarity here...

The initial batches of Tilquin *did* contain wort (not lambic) produced by both Cantillon and 3F because Pierre worked for at time at both breweries.

Current batches do not contain wort produced by 3F because, well, until this past winter, Armand had not brewed lambic on any commercial scale since the disaster in 2009. Most of the last of his lambic (I'm sure he's got some squirreled away somewhere) went into the Armand '4 and Golden Blend Gueuzes. That should change going forward.

Also, there's a *huge* difference between obtaining the wort brewed by a lambic brewer and obtaining the lambic itself. The barrels used, local conditions, treatment of the lambic during fermentation and, ultimately, the art of the blender go a significant way into determing the taste of the final product. It's not like Tilquin is buying finished lambic beer from other brewers/blenders and just mixing them together. They ferment the wort into lambic and then blend it their own way.

Remember too that lambic and gueuze are very different and not so easily compared.

Strictly speaking, straight unblended lambic is still or very lightly carbonated at best since it is beer from a single brewing season. Few straight lambics are commercially available in the bottle (Cantillon Grand Cru Bruoscella, Oude Lambic De Cam), though in Belgium, you can find them on draft/cask. Generally, they are a minimum of 18 months old.

Fruited lambics are different since they are carbonated they tend to be 24+ months old. They may or may not be blends.

Gueuze is a blend of lambics (traditionall 1, 2 and 3 year blends, though there are others (e.g., Golden Blend)) that is usually carbonated (though exceptions like Loerik and Doesjel are out there).

-Kevin.

35. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Someone tell me how this is the same base... Do they use cantillon to blend, yes. Do they use others, yes. Does cantillon use anything but cantillon? I don't think do, but not sure.

36. I had no idea that Cantillon was selling their wort to anyone else. I found confirmation here. Thanks for posting!

Pensfan likes this.
  37. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

The best kept secret in sour beer is Red Peak's Brikkita.

franklinn, bgramer, harrymel and 3 others like this.
  38. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

Tilquin is good...though it's been around for almost two years, and was pretty hyped at first, and is very well known at this point, so it's far from a secret to most beer nerds.

Also, most 3 Fonteinen geuze blends Girardin, Boon, and Lindemans lambic, so you keep saying it's "the same", but that's a stretch.

hooliganlife likes this.
  39. Cantillon is on the internet shelves 24/7

mikecharley and hooliganlife like this.
  40. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Its really no secret but I think Cuvee Renee is the most bang for your buck out there

tjensen3618, jmgrub and itsiilegal like this.