1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Post a pic of your "Tasting" events

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C2H5, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

[​IMG]

Also had Nugget Nectar and some DELICIOUS Balsamic cheese :)

smithj2154, luwak, C2H5 and 4 others like this.
  2. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

[​IMG]

A little Monday night tasting...345 minutes later.

ufmj, RRReptar, tcanaday and 3 others like this.
  3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

it was actually a puppet. you've never seen ventriloquisting until you've seen the grumpy one with a few beers in him! i still think he should change his user name to KaiserSoze

luwak likes this.
  4. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Is he passed out from the weed or the beer?

5. Hosted a tasting with some friends at the Jersey shore a a month or so ago. This was what we went through on Saturday.[​IMG]

6. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

Three-person peach tasting last night.
    [​IMG]
    '13 Peche and Fantasia, '10 Upland

Unanimously voted Peche > Upland > Fantasia

C2H5, luwak, teorn88 and 4 others like this.
  7. Drank these with kubrick215 on Super Bowl Sunday

[​IMG]

C2H5 likes this.
  8. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

This one is a little old, but I haven't hosted too many tastings. We had a Wreck it Ralph smaller wrap party at a friends house so I decided to do a fall type tasting.
    [​IMG]

We had Weihenstephaner Octoberfest, Ommegang Scythe and Sickle, SN Tumbler, NB Red Hoptober, Elysian pumpkin, SA Fat Jack, and lastly Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.

C2H5 and luwak like this.
  9. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

Who got SGT Slaughter drunk!

ColdOne likes this.
  10. How are the Black Buttes holding up?

11. Destral

Destral Savant (365) Nevada Oct 20, 2009

Nogidrew and I did!

12. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

[​IMG]

13. jegross2

Reviewing a vertical of Black Butte XX, Black Butte XXI, Black Butte XXIII and Black Butte XXIV from the Deschutes Brewery from Bend, Oregon to commemorate my 400th written review (per BeerAdvocate)! A major thanks and shout out to Edgar Chavez for making this vertical tasting possible. Each vintage of the Barrel Aged Black Butte release is a different formulation [Edit: deleted all the info about what each vintage is, and comments about the XXII that is "missing"]

Black Butte XIV Score: 90
    Black Butte XXIII Score: 88
    Black Butte XXI Score: 93
    Black Butte XX Score: 90

2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012 vintage bottles served side-by-side and enjoyed on 02/10/13 with a few friends.

Appearance
    The appearance is strikingly similar on all vintages -- this brew is similar to a dark molasses in appearance/color. The XXIII pour is a little lighter, faintly orange-ish in color in comparison to the other three. Each vintage pours a thin layer of light mocha head that settles to a ring around the glass on all of them. Average lacing and retention using the worst glassware possible. 4/5

Smell
    • XIV: Fig, hops, chocolate and a little soy. More dark fruit forward than the other vintages, which is unsurprising. There is a little bit of a "red wine"-ish scent to this vintage. The XIV's nose kind of reminds me of the 2011 Darkness a little bit. There was something also vaguely "herbal" about the XIV nose. There's definitely a little maple present too. 4/5
    • XIII: Orange, cocoa, and, when cold, a faint pepper aroma. A little Darkness 2011-like soy sauce too. I get a little figgy dark fruit, but much less than the XIV. 3.75/5
    • XXI: Chocolate, faded coffee and a little roast. There's a touch of faded hops and some fig/prune (about the same amount detected in the XXIII nose) too. There is also a bit of smokey malt or peatiness that initially grows as the beer starts warming up, and then fades as the beer approaches room temperature. 4.25/5
    • XX: Fruity oxidation and chocolate. I get a faint smokey malt character in the nose that is similar to, but in lesser quantum than, the XXI vintage. 4/5
    Taste
    • XIV: Dark fruit, less chocolate than the nose and a touch of soy too. There is a touch of spice on the back of the tongue and a little heat from alcohol. Additionally, there is a bit of port-like sweetness that reminds me a little of the Haymarket Acrimonious. 3.75/5
    • XIII: Chocolate and orange, faint hops and a little smooth dark fruit. Faint prickle of rye-like kick on the palate after the swallow. No alcohol heat. A touch of fruitiness towards the finish. 3.75/5
    • XXI: Smooth, slightly roasty coffee backbone with an overlay of chocolate and just a touch of positive (fruity) oxidation. Delicious! A little more acidic than the other vintages, but I think it works. There's definitely some straight up oak flavor too (which I totally dig). 4.25/5
    • XX: Fruity oxidation and chocolate. This vintage has the least amount of dark fruit presence. It is also the least complex vintage. Nonetheless, it drinks pleasantly. 4/5
    Mouthfeel
    Each of the vintages' mouthfeels are a little heavier than medium bodied, but far from full bodied (and not quite medium-full bodied either). Low carbonation as well. Each of the vintages has a real nice, drinkable balance (none is too sweet or acidic (well the XXI has a little acidity, but in a good way) or whatever). Oily slick feel on the tongue. Only the freshest vintage (XIV) has a little "alcohol heat" to it. 4/5

Overall: I feel like verticals are often "reserved" for rarer and bigger beers like Dark Lord and Bourbon County (Brand) Stout, or even barleywines dating back to the 90's (i.e., Bigfoot), but this was a really fun vertical to do. Nothing was really can't miss here, but nothing had "fallen off," and nothing here was undrinkable by any stretch of the imagination. My favorite vintage in the end was the XXI, but each vintage struck me in a unique way at different points in the vertical as it warmed up. Cold, the XX and XXIII were my favorite.

Cost: $12.99 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle that can cost as much as $19.99.

SteelersX, C2H5, luwak and 1 other person like this.
  14. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Black Butte XXI was the best overall when considering change as it warmed/opened up. I liked XX when it was freshly poured, nothing incredibly complex, but nothing really to nitpick about. XXI tasted like it was brewed with chilies at various temperatures, really cool.

jegross2 likes this.
  15. jegross2

Next up: FW anniversary vertical

CityofBals likes this.
  16. No vomit in the picture...Must be the weed

CityofBals likes this.
  17. smo

smo Aficionado (185) New Jersey Apr 11, 2012

Had a tasting in Jan with a few friends, turned out great!

[​IMG]

C2H5, ressling, luwak and 1 other person like this.
  18. Battle of the IPA's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (550) Illinois May 19, 2008

20. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

Pardon the blurriness... we were a bit shaky after all this... Murda'd Out Stout, Fruet, Rarer DOS, Kuhnhenn American Imperial Stout, Brew Kettle Rajah, Oudbeitje Lambic, BA 4th Dementia, Clurichaun Rhu Clu, Barrel House Dark Hollow, Batch 0 Black Albert, Kabert, Odin's Tipple, DFH Poppaskull, '09 Nemesis, Wake n Bake, Silva Stout, White Oak, Evan Williams 50/50 Eclipse, Kuhnhenn Candy Apple Pyment, Topless Wytch

[​IMG]

And here's one we did a while back at my friend's... we were trying to get a good sampling of different beers to expose the beer-naive to beers... and we went overboard...
    [​IMG]

SteelersX, C2H5, luwak and 1 other person like this.
  21. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

Another fun one with my FL buddies... yes, there is an Isabelle in the middle and DDG on the left:
    [​IMG]

C2H5, luwak, cosmicevan and 1 other person like this.
  22. Here is the start of our last tasting.
    [​IMG]

C2H5, DmanGTR, luwak and 2 others like this.
  23. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Would be hilarious to see one of these tasting pictures with a miller light thrown in. I have one way in the back of my fridge thats been there for almost two years, dont have the heart to throw it away. Might give it to my buddys dog or something.

24. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

A fantastic tasting!!! Great variety of really good beers coupled with very cool people. Thanks so much guys. That Moat Water was a particularly good one (that I'd never even heard of)-YUM.
    Cheers, Mister-Joshy

25. We are having a 5 person IPA/DIPA/Pale Ale swillfest(I mean tasting) tonite. It includes flower power, nugget nectar, toppers, Pliny, blind pig, sculpin, zombie dust, HF growlers of Double Galaxy, Harlan & Edward. The alpine didnt arrive in time.
    [​IMG]

durlta, JDizzle, patol8 and 4 others like this.
  26. Heading out to a big bottle share in Manhattan with these and one yet to be determined whale.

[​IMG]

C2H5, BeerWorld, cosmicevan and 7 others like this.
  27. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

cosmicevan, MEW, luwak and 1 other person like this.
  28. jeonseh

jeonseh Savant (495) Indiana Oct 14, 2007

Black Tuesday and variant tasting we had with nasty31, leftyhyzer, awdturboiv, and schooner 12. It was BT09-12, Grey Monday and CR Batch 2.

[​IMG]

29. Another IPA battle unfolded last night in a small New Hampshire town. Eight were selected for a Blind Tasting and a surprise guest from the West Coast dropped in to be part of the great eight. The lineup:
    [​IMG]

Heady, Drake's Hopocalypse, Dreadnaught, OH Redeemer, PtE, Citra, Blind Pig and Hoponius Union.

Plus, see that chubby little growler there? Hard to read the cap, isn't it? Let's see if we can get a better angle:

[​IMG]

Yes, that'll do. Welcome to New England, my lost friend.

We setup a blind lineup of the great eight, here was my setup:

[​IMG]

Tasting all eight, here's how I had them ranked:

1) Heady Topper. I picked it out of the lineup almost immediately by smell alone. We sadly didn't have any HF IPAs in the lineup, so Heady represented Vermont and brought it in a big way. Well done.

2) Hopocalypse. Very tasty beer, on taste alone I had predicted this was PtE.

3) PtE. I thought this was Blind Pig, it was obviously a west coast IPA. Very good as usual, dry and tons of hops. Awesome.

4) Kern Citra. Like part beer, part orange juice, with extra hops. Awesome beer. Smell was better than the taste though. Good stuff.

5) Pliny the Younger. Just way too sweet. This was a good beer, but triple IPAs just don't do it for me I guess. Was not nearly as hop-forward as an IPA was. This was probably neck and neck with Ephraim for me. Younger didn't smell like much to us, but it was good. You wonder what the cross-country journey did to it, who knows. Such a cool experience to taste Younger!

6) Dreadnaught. My first time having it. Nowhere near Zombie Dust, but good stuff.

7) Blind Pig. Surprised I had this so low, I've loved bottles of this in the past. But, BP isn't really supposed to be the biggest, baddest IPA in the world, and in a tasting like this, it got lost for me.

8) Olde Hickory Redeemer. Had a weird musty smell, didn't enjoy it all. One of our blind tasters had this as No. 1 though.

Having gone through this, I'm even more confident in saying that Hill Farmstead, Lawson's and Alchemist make the best hoppy beers in the world. I'm confident that any HF IPA I've ever had would have been at worst number 3 on my list. One day soon, an all Vermont IPA tasting needs to happen!

But still, YOUNGER! Such a treat. This is me, happy.

[​IMG]

IPAs out of the way, it was time for dessert. Sours!

[​IMG]

MOTHER FUNKER IS EVIL.

The rest were delicious. I particularly enjoyed Blushing Monk, the Allagash FV13 and the Mikkeller Chateau D'Yquem.

Lastly, Mother Funker was split three ways. Left to right, first pour, second pour and third pour.

[​IMG]

Awesome night, good friends, good food and awesome beers. Until next time!

durlta, legend8706, KevinMc79 and 4 others like this.
  30. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Two questions:

Where was the Hoponius Union ranked?
    How the freaking Sam hell did you get PtY in a growler??? :)

31. 1) Hoponious Union got excluded from the blind tasting for whatever reason. I think. To be honest, I don't remember if it was ever opened? I have heard good things about it though.

2) Vinnie sent it to me. Just kidding. Obtained from a friend who, I understand, is a man who knows how to get things. He's been known to locate certain things from time to time...http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-121a7c700e8989867ec7f7dc5a58b7df

WeymouthMike, futura123 and brikelly like this.
  32. "Old beer" night. The stand out (for me anyway) was the 2000 Vintage Ale. A lot of drain pours and mediocer beers. Geat fun though.

[​IMG]

33. stealth

stealth Advocate (555) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Some fellow MN BA's got together for our first tasting group session that hopefully will be meeting regularly now. Solid start!
    [​IMG]
    Not in order consumed: Steel Toe Dissent, Surly Pentagram, Bells Black Note, Boulevard Rye-on-Rye, Scires, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, Black Tuesday, Flander's Fred, and not pictured: an outstanding IPA and sour from Driftless Brewing.

JustXBeer and C2H5 like this.
  34. How about a tasting video?

An awesome NYC tasting.

JDizzle, channels321, C2H5 and 6 others like this.
  35. Just did a 2006-2012 Abyss vertical last night. Not everyone filled out their ranking sheets, but the winner among the few who did was the 2008, followed closely by 2009 (not infected, obviously) and 2010. The 2006 finished last. The best drink I had was a blend of all years, however. That was really, really good.

[​IMG]

We then did Westy 12 2006 vs. Westy 12 2012, along with Hopslam vs. Pliny vs. Heady Topper.

[​IMG]

36. BA Bottle Share @ Han Dynasty in Philadelphia on February 24th, 2012

[​IMG]

Fruet, Zombie Dust, Dark Lord, Hunahpu, and much, much more.

C2H5 and cosmicevan like this.
  37. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Only 1 bottle at this tasting, but it was pretty cool to have it this early. From Thursday night.

[​IMG]

2013 Hunahpu's

38. [​IMG] Marty30 and I drank these barleywines last night. We tasted them blind then finished the bottles in the order we liked most to least.

C2H5 and cosmicevan like this.