Post a pic of your "Tasting" events

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C2H5, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Evan, I swear to god, if you send me a glass to replace that I will not be happy. Please, PLEASE do not send me something to replace that! :) And Dan will also survive without his geuze taster or whatever he calls that little thing.

cosmicevan and Michigan like this.
  2. One will be in the mail for you on Friday. Cheers!

CheapBeerBuzz, C2H5, jeonseh and 7 others like this.
  3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

This guy...i tell ya. he is nuts.

4. damn man that must of been unreal, sent you some instagram love haha

cosmicevan likes this.
  5. Because one of the three tastings I attended last month has already appear in this thread (the Veritas Vert. + Loerik + Yellow Bus + lots more), I figure I'll post pics from the other two.

[​IMG]
    Not necessarily pictured in this exact order:
    Crooked Stave Origins
    Fantôme Extra Sour
    Närke Stormakstporter
    Närke Kaggen! Stormakstporter
    Närke Konjaks! Stormakstporter
    De Molen Fonefan
    Tired Hands Guillemot
    Tired Hands Handfarm
    Midnight Sun 3000
    Hill Farmstead Ann
    Hill Farmstead Anna
    Belle Vue Selection Lambic '99
    Peach Sour in the Rye
    Churchill's Finest Hour '13
    DFH Choc Lobster
    De Cam Framboise-Lambiek
    De Neve gueuze '84
    Eylenbosh gueuze '84
    3F Golden Blend
    Hill Farmstead Norma
    HotD Eve
    HotD Adam
    HotD Dave
    Whiskey Ten Fidy
    Ten Fidy
    Orval '05
    Stille Nacht 2010
    Stille Nacht Reserva 2010
    Kopi Luwak Speedway
    BA Kopi Luwak Speedway
    Cherry Rye BCBS
    Cantillon Blåbær '12
    Blauw
    Oud 15
    Civil Disobedience 5
    Capricho Oscura 5

and

[​IMG]

Again, not sure if the order is exact, but you get the idea:
    '78 Cantillon Gueuze
    SH Peconic
    Falling Rock La Folie
    '81 Vandervelden Kriek
    Cantillon La Derniere Cuvee du 89
    2000 LP Gueuze
    Blue Cheer
    Liquid Sunshine Reserva
    Uli Zomergueze el Sol
    Deviation
    JC Nomad
    Blauw
    Cable Car Kriek
    Uli Fruitlambik Blondelle Rood
    SH Uberliner
    SH Berliner Weisse
    Eszett Gueze
    3F Selectie C
    '11 Framboos
    Wooden Hell
    Crianza Helena
    2005 BA Old Salty
    '81 BelleVue Gueuze
    '11 Blabaer
    '03 3F Malvasia
    2000 De Cam Oude Lambiek
    La Face Cache de la Pome Neige Recolte D'hiver
    Cisco Pedaler
    Fantome Dalmatiene

All in all, not a bad month between the 3.

6. those three floyds glasses are awesome

ISO PERMANENT FUNERAL + GLASS

:D

7. cpferris

cpferris Aficionado (220) Indiana Jan 22, 2008

Alright Joe...that was quite an epic month! So let's hear your top 3 from each tasting :) Also, any disappointments based on your expectations?

8. Hmmm, tough question. I'll give you my top 3 from each, but note that #4 and #5 from one tasting might have been better than #1 or #2 from another. Some of these I have had before but the bottles that were opened were particularly good (as noted below):

In order of tasting (not necessarily in order within each tasting):

DC - Konjaks!, Belle-Vue Selection (particularly good bottle), and Sour in the Rye with Peaches (honorable mentions to Dave and Oud 15)

Philly - Uli's Zomergueuze El Sol (best of the month!), La Derniere Cuvee du 89, Wooden Hell (particularly good bottle) (honorable mentions to Eszett and CC Kriek)

NY - Uli's Cuvee Union St.-Gilloise, Merlot BA Leviathan (particularly good bottle), BA Poseidon's (particularly good bottle) (honorable mentions to V007 (particularly good bottle) and '08 Pinot D'Aunis)

As far as disappointments, the Loerik bottle that was opened was relatively just okay. The last time I had it, it was the best beer I have ever had, but this bottle didn't have the same pop. Still a delight to drink and extremely grateful it was opened. I had hoped that some of the early '80s bottles would be "special," but most were not very good. Fonefan was not good. Selectie C was underwhelming (perhaps I had expected too much? It wasn't very sour). And V005 turned out to be a V009 (good thing I had had V005 before, but this was very disappointing to everyone in attendance). I didn't really have expectations for most of the others.

9. Those are some epic tastings! If you had to list a to 5 from all the tastings combined?

cosmicevan and BucketBoy like this.
  10. Yesterday we finally opened our BCBS vertical. We had 09-12 plus a couple variants. It was an awesome yet overwhelming experience but I'm glad I finally did it.

The 09 was awesome upon first sip but it was pretty easy to go back and pick up noticeable oxidation after having the others.

The 11 was drinking the best in my opinion with a nice cherry fruity notes to balance the boozy heat, chocolate, and coconut.

The Bramble was the other stand out, I didn't expect this beer to taste it did at all. It was straight raspberry preserve on the nose. The mouthfeel was a little thinner compared to the others which in turn made it a little easy to drink. It was a very unique beer that I enjoyed but am glad I was able to split it 4 ways.

The 12 is a great vintage and I think it will hit is peak at the 1-2 year mark.

The 10 was solid and still very boozy. A lot more dark fruit, chocolate, and oaky bourbon notes compared to the 11. I wouldn't hold onto this for more than another year or so and if it were me I would drink immediately.

The coffee is one of my favorites. The 2012 is still very coffee forward at this point so I am hoping to hang onto my last bottle for a year and see how it mellows out.

[​IMG]

cosmicevan and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  11. Even tougher question, and really just splitting hairs because most were fantastic (even those not listed above).I'm sure other people had their own favorites at each tasting.

I'd have to say Zomergueuze El Sol, BA Poseidon's, La Derniere Cuvee du 89, Cuvee Union St.-Gilloise, and Wooden Hell.

I had had BA Poseidon's and Wooden Hell before, and both were okay, but these two bottles were particularly excellent. Honorable mention to Merlot BA Leviathan, which was also a particularly good bottle.

All in all though, as great as the beer was, it was even better just getting to meet some new friends and hang out with some awesome BAs. I am very thankful to have such great friendships with so many awesome people on here.

C2H5, cosmicevan and jbuddle like this.
  12. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (210) Maryland Jun 29, 2012

I'm just as jealous of all the glasses as I am the beers!

cosmicevan, Psykhe and Michigan like this.
  13. [​IMG]

Trap hills 3 idiots beerfest, thanks to may snow storm I had to walk 2 miles to the cabin after my car got stuck in the mud, the 2009 north coast made me feel better

VonZipper, C2H5 and cosmicevan like this.
  14. Hendry

Hendry Savant (440) Vermont Mar 8, 2013

[​IMG]
    Clash of the titans: Hill Farmstead Double Citra head2head with Lawson's Double Sunshine

I had the pleasure of getting together with two friends for this tasting, and it is always interesting to get opinions from others who either love IIPAs, or have working knowledge of them (one of the other tasters was an avid homebrew enthusiast).

The pour is quite similar: generous 2-3 finger frothy cotton head, both leaving textbook lacing. The Hill Farmstead has a nearly glowing orange appearance leaning more toward the yellow-orange portion of the spectrum, while the Lawson's Double Sunshine has an apricot hue, both are gorgeous unfiltered, unpasteurized works of art.

Aromas are both hop forward, featuring the blessed citra hop. The Hill Farmstead is unbelievably refined and floral, with some piney notes in there: minimal malt presence, the way a great Vermont IIPA should be. The Lawson's drew different reactions: two of the tasters picked out tropical fruit notes, particularly mango, which encompasses an array of tropical fruits while the other taster got hit with that sensation 15 minutes later. The phenols are a bit stronger and more pronounced with the Double Sunshine, and this fact becomes more apparent as the elixir warms and breathes for a short spell. Similar theme: Lawson's plays down the malt bill,hops front & center.Both have well sourced hops. Both have an amazing seductive nose, legendary in fact.

Taste.....where does one begin?? To quote the homebrew dude, "whoah, just a minute here....there's a LOT going ON here!" The Double Citra mirrors the aroma: this is perhaps THE most refined of all citra hop-bomb IIPAs. The flavors of the hops are spotlighted on the stage, malt solidly there but only to support: floral and piney, citrus overtones, slight numbing on the back of the palate noted on the swallow. The Double Sunshine seems to have a bit more going on with the esters, and slight warming highlights that. Double Sunshine delivers the mango-dropped-in-Vermont-Pine-needles vibe like no other, and tasters noted that the tingle was felt on the front of the tongue rather than the rear with the Double Citra. Aftertaste on both is long and bitter, simply tremendous.

Mouthfeel is the heavier side of medium for both, carbonation for both is exemplary. The Double Citra was felt more towards the rear of the palate while the Double Sunshine on the front.

Overall, toned down malts and high quality hops expertly crafted in small batches are what these two giants are all about: never gonna find these in six-packs. Easy to see why these two cult beers are so highly regarded. The Hill Farmstead is the height of refinement and execution, and the Lawson's Double Sunshine has its very own vibe and seductive appeal.

Which one is BETTER? You need to decide that for yourself, however there is special something to Double Sunshine that makes it my personal favorite of any that I have been fortunate enough to sample. Even living in Vermont, these are both very much Holy Grail IIPAs that require much effort to obtain.
    Cheers!

15. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (600) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Unfortunately I have not had either. But damn you make them sound good. I love me some tropical tasting IIPA's/DIPA's

16. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (570) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I have had both, though not side-by-side, and, as much as I love Hill Farmstead, Double Sunshine is the winner for me!

DanzBorin and Hendry like this.
  17. cincysig

cincysig Savant (365) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

Great post!!

VonZipper and Hendry like this.
  18. Hendry

Thank you cincysig, it is the beers that are truly great!

19. went to the Jacks Abby?Lawson's collab release event at the Dirty Truth a couple weeks ago. We got there at 3:15. It started at 4. They had 3 other Lawson's on offer and all the JA flavors. After 1 JA ABC's (to get me to 4pm) all I could drink were the $5 pours of Double Sunshine they had going. Very delicious. Double Citra is awesome too. I think theyre both worthy of all the praise they get and for me, there's no point to saying either is better than the other.

20. Actually just came :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Mersh and Hendry like this.
  21. Hendry

There is a difference between having a favorite and saying one is better than the other

22. JMScowcroft

JMScowcroft Savant (365) Vermont Feb 18, 2008

This made me smile man! Sounds like a good night! They have that Double Citra on now?

Hendry likes this.
  23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

They sound fantastic and make me think of Toppling Goliath Sosus.

24. Hendry

Unfortunately no Double Citra today, we did this about a week ago.HFS is always changing their selection, but they faithfully update the site on a regular basis.

JMScowcroft likes this.
  25. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

Nevermind found it.

26. You have me breaking a commandment over here, but good post and great description. The glow of the DC is mesmerizing.

Hendry likes this.
  27. I've had Double Sunshine before, and it was pretty awesome. I personally got a lot of Passion Fruit flavor in it.

Hendry likes this.
  28. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

Great post: intelligent, even-handed, and visceral. Many posters could learn a thing or three from your example. Thanks.

Hendry likes this.
  29. kismet

kismet Aficionado (160) Illinois Sep 8, 2011

and all of a sudden, after reading this post, i feel the need to immediately pour my lagunitas im drinking down the drain...great post...i def need to vacation in the northeast soon.

Hendry likes this.
  30. Very cool! Thanks for the report.

Next time try the HF Double Galaxy - that would handily beat both of these IMO.

cosmicevan likes this.
  31. BGsWo22

BGsWo22 Savant (490) New York Sep 21, 2012

Having had both of them within hours of each other but not side by side I have to agree that this is a great thing. My personal opinion was that double citra was a lot better than single hop citra from hill farmstead. However double sunshine was the best Lawson's I have ever had.

To pu them head to head I would probably go with the double sunshine with the double citra only behind by the smallest of margins
    I would love to try both again side by side to see where I go at that time

32. Hendry

Next review: Hill Farmstead Ephraim goes head2head w/Lawson's Peril

dar482 and DmouthCaliBrewz like this.
  33. Double Citra sure is wonderful, I yet have to have anything.from Lawson's.

Hendry likes this.
  34. Hendry

Sean Lawson makes criminally small batches, hard to find but worth the effort.

35. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Double Sunshine is the best DIPA/IPA I have ever had.

JMScowcroft and Hendry like this.
  36. Hendry

I cannot disagree with you on that!

37. Hendry

Do not sell Lagunitas short my friend: it was in fact Lagunitas Sucks that awakened my dormant hop bug, and it is perharps the best six pack beer anywhere next to 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust,always in my fridge.

VonZipper likes this.
  38. Just curious, for someone who has both "always in ur fridge," how would u compare the two. I've drank my body weight I all things Lagunitas but never anything from FFF and debating putting together a trade for some in the near future

jdmandel likes this.
  39. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

Double Sunshine is better than any IPA/DIPA HF makes.

DanzBorin, JMScowcroft and Hendry like this.