1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Post a pic of your "Tasting" events

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C2H5, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

The "Denver Ghost Whale Tasting"
    Participants: Sean9689, ShadesofGray, forgetfu, Chris Johnson (not on BA), gn0sis
    [​IMG]
    Top Row (L to R): Oud Beersel OWA Ume Lambic 2012, Cantillon Iris Grand Cru, Cantillon Saint Lamvinous Unblended, Cantillon Don Quijote, Bill, Cantillon Menu Pineau (white grape version of Pint D'Anius), Cantillon Bourgogne Lambic, 3 Fonteinen Oude Gueuze Selectie C, Cantillon Cuvee Neuf Nations mid-80's (predessor to Vigneronne), Cantillon Zwanze 2013, Cantillon 50N-4E
    Bottom Row (L to R): Cantillon Zwanze 2012, Cantillon Zwanze 2011, Cantillon Blåbær 2013, Cantillon Soleil du Minuit (original batch, 1999), Cantillon Loerik, Cantillon De Dolle Proevers Kersengueuze 1991 (Magnum), Lindeman's Loerik 1996, Cantillon Vigneronne 1986 (Batch #1), 3 Fonteinen Driesjes Eerste Plasje (approx 26 bottles made to celebrate Armand taking over the brewery from Gaston during the mid-90's), Cantillon Feestbier, Cantillon Cognac Lambic 2003 (predecessor to 50N-4E)

*the tasting was broken up into two days to better enjoy all the beers.

Thoughts:
    *The Loerik was an outstanding bottle, one of the better examples I've had.
    *The 1991 Kersengueuze was one of my favorites at the tasting, very well balanced between tart & cherries and not showing it's true age.
    *The Cognac Lambic destroyed the new batch 50N...excellent beer.
    *The Cuvee Neuf Nations was horrid, cork fell into the beer, tasted like pond water.
    *Don Quijote is the best lambic I've ever had...again & again.
    *New batch Blåbær needs a lot of time...don't open your bottles unless you'd like a letdown.
    *Bill is a gracious host.
    *I don't want a beer today.

Cheers guys!

2. Good lord...wow

3. Poorpatz

Poorpatz Savant (255) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2010

KBS 09,10,11,12,13. The 09 is showing its age 10 and 11 were my favs still a lot of great flavors 12 and 13 are tasteing good and in my oppinon will age well.
    [​IMG]

C2H5, kona14, alex_hart and 2 others like this.
  4. riemster

riemster Advocate (545) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Anti-GABF Infected Chimipalooza 10/12/13

[​IMG]

Columbus/Dayton, Ohio representing. There are many more bottles missing, like DDG, some growlers and rarer Cantillon. Too many people with sticky fingers for empties. O well. It still looks impressive without the other 30 or so bottles.

MattSweatshirt, C2H5, L3MI and 9 others like this.
  5. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^damn. nice !

riemster likes this.
  6. Piddmeista

Piddmeista Savant (350) California Apr 15, 2013

how many people were at this tasting?

7. if you have a chance can you post some highlights/notes/favorites? awesome shot though must of been great with all those sours and what not

8. riemster

riemster Advocate (545) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

45 according to Facebook, but it was probably closer to 30-35. Roughly 11am to 11pm. Decent amount of home brews were left out too.

Some pictures are either mine or from the guy with the real camera.

Atrial Rubicite. This stole the show for me. My favorite of the day.
    [​IMG]

Fantasia. Mind blowingly jawsome.
    [​IMG]

'09 Abyss. Loved it, even with a little twang.
    [​IMG]

Best Idea Ever
    [​IMG]

Farmer's Reserve. I thought #4 was the best.
    [​IMG]

Rosso E Marrone
    [​IMG]

The most important thing.
    [​IMG]

50n4e. I've never been a fan of this, but the picture looked cool and most people are a fan so...
    [​IMG]

Justin Blabaer. This was awful.
    [​IMG]

Forgotten Island. Loved it. The rum barrels work so well with the quad.
    [​IMG]

Coolship Resurgam
    [​IMG]

Fou Foune
    [​IMG]

Ghoulschip
    [​IMG]

Kurmaraja, C2H5, urielxvi and 5 others like this.
  9. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

[​IMG]

Little bottle share I had yesterday. We started off with my last bottle of Westy 12. I have to say, I enjoyed it better fresh, but it was still delicious. Just the alcohol was a bit more evident. Next we had Bois (New American Oak). I wan't expecting to like this one as much as I did, it was delicious. I really look forward to trying the other variations now. Next we had the Bacon Maple ale. This is a love it or hate it beer for most people. I happen to like it, so it was a welcome addition. Then we moved on to Chocolate Rain. This is certainly a desert beer, and lives up to it's good name. Loved it! Finally, and I probably didn't need to open this one, we had Bourbon Barrel Smoking Wood. Another one that people seem to love or hate, and again, I love it! Like a bourbony BBQ, in the best way possible;)

KROQnK9s and BalancingBrooms like this.
  10. John11486

John11486 Savant (355) California Feb 13, 2009

[​IMG]
    Lawson's Maple Tripple '12

[​IMG]
    Kate the Great '08

[​IMG]
    Rare

C2H5, ToddThompson, pisano and 2 others like this.
  11. KYboymatt

KYboymatt Aficionado (140) Kentucky Sep 25, 2013

[​IMG]

Not anything special going on here, Just enjoying the years first Founder's Breakfast stout with Pancakes, Bacon and Vermont Maple Syrup. (yes it was 9 in the morning too) Nothing better than some good friends, good brews and breakfast

12. Little share we had the other day in Wilmington, NC, good times ensued.
    [​IMG]

hellhammermario and kristougher like this.
  13. we have to do this again

14. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

[​IMG]

This is the blind taste test I did on Saturday for my birthday. 5 of us tried all 5 beers blind, ranking each of them from 1 to 5. To determine the overall winner, if a beer was picked at someone's favorite it got 5 points, if as the worst it got 1. So 25 points was the max a beer could get, etc. we're all well educated here right? haha. We tallied the points for beers 1 through 5, and it was then revealed which numbers represented which beers. I love blind tastings like these because, just as with this one, you can never predict the results. I guarantee you wouldn't have predicted these, they went as follows:

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero - 21 pts
    Westbrook Mexican Cake - 18 pts
    Cigar City Hunahpu - 16 pts
    Hardywood Chocolate Heat - 12 pts
    Perennial Abraxas - 8 pts

I will admit that I had voted Hunahpu as my personal winner, but had enjoyed chocolate sombrero. And during the reveal "Beer 4, the winner, was chocolate sombero" I immediately said bullshit and started laughing. Always a humbling experience and lots of fun. Cheers, everyone.

C2H5, cnbrown313, texasalec and 4 others like this.
  15. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

I love blind tastings. Amazed at some of the results.

This one is a bit shocking though. Good to know.

16. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  17. It would be a lot of fun to see if another group could repeat that tasting to see if the results were replicated or had a similar trend

18. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

Anyone have a Hardywood Chocolate Heat and Perennial Abraxas they want to get rid of? If so, I'll totally do this one with my tasting buddies.

Annnd we can add the Copper Kettle one (I have one of those)

19. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

... vs. Bomb...

tronto likes this.
  20. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Just had this... definitely would have been a good fit with what you were tasting here... I'm amazed that Abraxas was the worst of the 5. Now I'm debating on whether I wanna even seek it out haha!

21. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Yeah if someone wants to send me a pirate bomb i'll gladly compare it off of memory. It was my birthday I mean...haha

22. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

This is an awesome blind tasting. It's so funny to see people experiencing the same effect I always do. There's always a winner or top 3 placer in every blind tasting that just totally blows everyone's minds. I said this before, but I sneak a Stone IPA into every blind IPA tasting I do and it beats godtier single IPAs all the time. It doesn't always win, but it usually places shockingly high.

Abraxas being at the bottom is every bit as shocking as Chocolate Sombrero being at the top. Great stuff. I love the craft scene!

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  23. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (235) New York Mar 12, 2010

Haven't done it blind, but Abraxas is easily my favorite of the above. Diff'rent strokes and all that

24. The Hardywood Chocolate Heat was an awful representation of the style when I last had it. There was zero heat, which doesn't seem possible if you're using habaneros and no where near the actual quality of stout as the others

25. I'd love to try this sometime (if I don't have to drive anywhere afterwards;)). I've had Chocolate Sombrero twice....the first bottle I loved, the second time it seemed fairly "watery" (about two months apart). Generally, like Clown Shoes stouts, especially Very Angry Beast which is one of my favorite stouts!

26. I've been hearing good things about this and will be in Denver/Boulder tomorrow; do you have any idea whether this will be in stores anywhere?

27. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, it should be on the shelf in larger Denver stores. Places like Lukas, Chambers, Davidson's, Mile High, Argonaut, Total Beverage, etc. Your best bets are on the south end of town.
    In Boulder, you might see it at Boulder Liquor Mart, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

28. Appreciate the info. Argonaut is definitely on my radar.

29. Indytruks138

Indytruks138 Savant (375) Texas Jun 28, 2013

Monday Night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brikelly likes this.
  30. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

I'll admit, you basically made me try this beer tonight. It's pretty damn good, WAY underrated. It's at like an 86 or some such and it was much much better than that. But better than Huna or Abraxas? Hmmm, I can't say definitely not because I'm constantly proven wrong in predictions at my blind tastings.

I might duplicate this tasting omitting a few I don't have and adding a few others that are similar.

[​IMG]

VeganUndead likes this.
  31. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

Straight ghosting the tomes!

[​IMG]

32. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (525) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

And...I'm moving to Mass.

Roguer, bayareahustla and pisano like this.
  33. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (540) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Another great Wednesday night at Niche in Geneva, IL. We had a few special guests make it out from Chicago as well, so we kicked it up a notch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heartwood needs more buzz. That beer was incredible aged 3 years.
    Framboise for a Cure smells amazing and tastes nearly as good.
    Coolship Red is stunning. Like fresh picked raspberries.
    FW 16 is so smooth right now.
    Mik NS Brut was very bright and effervescent. Quite good.
    Das Wunderkind was a delightful palate cleanser that you could drink all day.
    Cafe Royale was smooth and chocolatey.
    Bend Ching Ching...wow. I'm going to try and find some of that. Deserving of gold.
    White Chocolate smelled and finished like White Chocolate. Totally delivered on the hype.
    Night Shift Ever Weisse was probably my favorite of the night. You actually taste the Kiwi. So well made.
    Anna was probably as good of a saison as I've ever had, and it's my favorite style. Just awesome.
    Strawberry from Cascade smelled and tasted amazing. I now have to finally break down and order some Cascade.
    Rogue Beard Beer was pretty decent. Light tartness, estery, and smooth.
    SP Origin is hard to describe. Smooth and complex. I couldn't figure this beer out. The mouthfeel and finish are different from anything I've had. Light tartness coming on now too.
    New Belgium Twisted Spoke 15 is a fantastic sour. So much flavor and complexity.
    Cantillon Lambic is so clean and well made. More refined than our other sours. Stands out in the crowd.
    The Flaming Logsdon is so good. I love tart reds, and this has all the carbonation and mouthfeel of the other Logsdon beers but with a rich, tart red body. Excellent.
    Lawson's Hop Harvest is very subtle. Drink this now if you have it. It's only about 10 days old but it won't last long. Super sessionable and light.
    Hi-Fi Rye has light spice from the rye but a rich velvety body. Well made, delicious beer.
    Shenanigans Odell was a light tasty red. Just subtle tartness. Very drinkable and enjoyable.
    I don't know the name of the cider on the end, but boy was it good.

There are about 10 or so beers that I couldn't fit into the shot as well. It was indeed a special Wednesday.

leprakhan, C2H5 and regularjohn like this.
  34. Tasting with 2 friends last night.

[​IMG]

Left to right: Ommegang Game of Thrones #2 - Take the Black Stout, Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged Outta Kilter, Fire Mountain Steam Fired Stout, Heater Allen Bobtoberfest, Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero, Clown Shoes Genghis Pecan, Deschutes The Dissident 2012, and Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet.

A few thoughts:
    Barrel Aged Outta Kilter was my favorite, barrel aging gave this beer a nice vanilla flavor.
    Wish more spices had come out with the Chocolate Sombrero.
    The Genghis Pecan had an interesting earthy, pecan flavor.
    The Dissident was very complex, drank like a fortified wine.

35. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (540) Ohio May 24, 2011

My birthday....

[​IMG]

Roguer and C2H5 like this.
  36. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (430) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

37. [​IMG]

Finally got it all together on did my pumpkin tasting party. Wish I had time to get all the ones I wanted but this was still a wonderful showing. Big thanks to RobOrlando for scouting the east coast for some of these.

Good Gourd stole the show. Heirloom Barleywine was an amazing style. TREAT was also award-worthy.

Biggest disappointment: Weyerbacher, must have got two infected bottles, both tasted sour.

urielxvi likes this.
  38. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Had a tasting Friday Night with Apuzarne, DogfishTail, & Trevdawg at my place. Figured we'd break into a few of the bottles we'd been holding onto and make a night of it, including some grilled steak, cured meats, cheese, cigars, and some late night bocci ball:

[​IMG]
    Untitled by PolishKaz, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tree House Growler above is Green(Palate cleanser, cigar and bocci beer)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than Guava Petite Sour every beer was fantastic, I totally forgot the tums though and had to tag the fiancé in to take my spot drinking the Guava and Funkadelic while I slept it off. Great night, hope to do it again soon.

39. [​IMG]

Last night, 6 person tasting. I was still drunk when I woke up

40. [​IMG]

Bottleshare from last Sunday. Good times and beer were had. Note that the growers were not filled for the tasting.

Highlights for me were:

1. DDG
    2. Great (probably my favorite barley wine)
    3. Bomb!
    4. Noyaux
    5. Koppi Speedway

Piddmeista likes this.