1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Post here if you're drinking the 'slam!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by mzeld, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

I agree. This batch seems mellowed. I attended a hop head tasting a year ago, and they had bottles of 2011 'Slam to compare to 2012. This years batch reminds me of character of the cellar'd 2011 release.
  2. beesy

beesy Savant (370) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

I hear ya. Had it happen in 2010 with a 6ers of Hop Slam. Either got a batch that got oxidized or missed some late additions or dry hopping or something. Sucks when you spend that kind of money and up thinking wtf is this. Hopefully you can sample from a different bottle date.
  3. I am in the same boat. I am drinking a 1/2/2013 batch and it might as well be 1/2/2012. There is no aromatic hop note, nor is there any striking flavor notes; it only balances the maltiness.
  4. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Had three bottles and one pint on tap so far. This is gonna be a good next few months.
    meanmutt likes this.
  5. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

I had it on tap and in the bottle. Both were the same disappointment.
    terryg75 likes this.
  6. mmnorth

mmnorth Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 12, 2007

This is about the silliest thing I've read.
    GHC likes this.
  7. beesy

beesy Savant (370) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

Why's that? You don't think it's ever possible a brewery measures incorrectly or misses something?
  8. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Such as inserting bottling equipment into bottles (see avatar). Anything is possible as far as messing up a recipe or missing a hop addition, incorrect measurements of hops, etc... I, however, wouldn't expect it from Bell's. Like I said, anything is possible. I'm hopefully going to get some 'slam tomorrow, so we'll see if it impresses. Then again, I probably shouldn't even bother since the hops will already be faded beyond imagination ;).
  9. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

No, actually I don't think its at all possible they measured wrong.

A brewer like Bells, releasing something like Hopslam, requires an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars. I don't think Billy the brewer inaccurately measured something. I would say there is probably a TEAM of brewers ensuring EVERY step of the brewing process is done correctly and accurately.
    GHC and je1129 like this.
  10. JPortillo

JPortillo Savant (290) Illinois Mar 12, 2012

Anybody see any Slam on the Chicago shelves yet?
  11. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Truck delayed, end of the week.
  12. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Lupulin Threshold Shift
  13. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Any scuttlebutt on how much is being brewed this year? Last year there was the big rush to get the initial release, followed by at least one additional wave that led to stores in Chicago's western 'burbs stacking cases on the floor.
  14. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

worst news of the day.
    sfoulkes likes this.
  15. mmnorth

mmnorth Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 12, 2007

As mentioned by others already not for Bells and certainly not for Hopslam.
  16. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (260) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

waiting patiently for ze slam to hit the southside of chicago
  17. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (730) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

Hit the NW Chi burbs today. Bottled 01/09/13. eh, I need to try a few more bottles but might be a case of LTS for me too.
  18. kort27

kort27 Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 23, 2009

Hitting far western burbs tomorrow, I hear. Far FAR western burbs (DeKalb) have had it since December.
  19. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Had one the last 4 nights. Love that it's literally everywhere in GR.
  20. Haters gunna hate! Half way through my 6 pack and I'm loving it! Ive been brewing with honey the last few months and this years Hop Slam reminds me why I was trying in the first place. By the way I got it at Glen Ellyn Binnys, now sworm you beery Chicago burb freaks!... though it is probably gone by now (and no they didn't have black note)
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  21. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (305) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

It has hit the far west burbs today! Ruuuuunnnn!
  22. What is the far west burbs. Glen Ellyn Binny's, cause it wasn't there yesterday when I called?
  23. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (305) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

No, farther west than Glen Ellyn. I would consider Glen Ellyn just being a West Burb but not a FAR west Burb. That's just, like, my opinion tho. The Binnys stores should be getting them between today and Friday depending on the store.
  24. Called Glen Ellyn Binny's around 1, they were out, but Downers Groove still had a little bit left when I got there at 2. Said it probably would last another hour. Glad I could get some!
  25. Check out Corner Cottage off of 83 and North Ave in Elmhurst, They just got theirs in today @ $16.99 a sixer. Dont think there is a limit.
  26. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Saw the 'Slam at Binny's AH as well as Teddy's in AH today, both had a limited supply and was 16.99/6pk with a limit of 1 per customer except for TLC members at Teddy's you are entitled to 2 :cool:
  27. vasinger

vasinger Aficionado (145) Illinois Sep 28, 2012

Couple of Cases of the 1/9 batch at foremost on Ashland. They also got a FFF shipment, Alpha King, pride and Joy and Rye Da Tiger or lightning.
  28. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I picked some up today and cracked one open earlier.. it's drinking just fine to me..
    Bitter_Echo, meanmutt and tectactoe like this.
  29. vic21234

vic21234 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Drinking the 'slam right now. Picked up two sixers today. It's drinking just as great as years past in my opinion.
    meanmutt likes this.
  30. Tossin back the 'slam right now and man is this tasty!
  31. nharres

nharres Savant (275) Illinois Feb 8, 2012

First of the year and I actually think its better than I remember!
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  32. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (420) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Enjoying the first of the year tonight. So damn good!
  33. Haha laughing at myself, if I would have check two posts above I wouldn't have missed out at the GE Binny's. Luckily for me the Downers Groove Binny's still had it but oh my, that was stupid.
  34. NSK79

NSK79 Savant (375) Illinois Jun 4, 2012

Also enjoying first one of the year right now, courtesy of DG Binneys. Tastes great as usual.

I'm new to BA, but I'm curious as to when Hopslam really became a hot item? I remember drinking it back in 2009 when I first fell in love with it and don't remember it being so hyped and hard to get back then.
  35. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Slam'n!
    [​IMG]
  36. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Picked up 2 sixers today. Looks like everywhere but Binny's has it. Slammed a few 'slams tonight. Delicious.
  37. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

This slam is so drinkable, I slammed my first slam of the year in about 3 gulps. I love this beer, on my second now, tastes just like I remember, maybe a little better! Bottled 1/9/13, very hoppy, hit of fusel booze and a bit of honey perfect...great, im drunk
  38. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

IDK, all of my friends that are just kinda into craft beer are super into Hopslam and have been for at least 5 or 6 years (maybe more...when was it first bottled?). I think it has a much wider appeal and is certainly a bigger brand than BCBS.
  39. It's delicious. Definitely very little bitterness, like none, but huge piney hop aroma and taste. It is definitely sweet, so I can see why it isn't everyone's cup of tea (or beer!). Love these flavors though, and boy is this easy drinking for a 10% abv.