Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Post your favorite beer-ecipe (food cooked with beer).

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by TWStandley, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TWStandley

TWStandley Champion (785) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2008 Verified

Not sure if I have seen this posted on here before - but looking to put together a list of some good recipes made with our favorite beverage.

I have made beer bread before and beer can chicken, and am trying the below for Football Sunday tomorrow:

1 medium onion, diced
    2 cloves minced garlic
    3 lbs. chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
    2 T. smoked paprika
    ½ bottle of beer (going to use a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout)
    1 bottle barbecue sauce, (Not sure which type yet)

To prepare:

Sautée onions, garlic & olive oil in skillet.

Once carmelized, add to crockpot with skinless boneless chicken breasts, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, favorite BBQ sauce, and 1/2 bottle of beer.

Set on Low until it falls apart. Break it up and keep it on warm until ready to eat.

Serve on rolls, with crusty bread or with sliced avocado.

Any other recipes that you love?
  2. nquigley16

nquigley16 Savant (410) Massachusetts Sep 18, 2012 Verified

Beer bread! Same as normal bread, just substitute beer for water.
  3. Stout_Combo

Stout_Combo Savant (255) Pennsylvania Sep 19, 2012 Verified

Beef Taco soup

1 onion chopped
    1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
    1 (15 Ounce) can black beans
    1 (15 Ounce) Whole kernel corn (drained)
    1 (8 Ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 ( 12 fluid ounce) bottle of beer ( we used a home brew I.P.A)
    2 (10 Ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies undrained
    1 (1.25 Ounce) package taco seasoning
    1 pound Beef ( add or subtract more or less as you see fit)
    Shredded cheese (Optional garnish after cooking)
    Sour cream (Optional garnish after cooking)
    Crushed tortilla chips (Optional garnish after cooking)

Combine and cook in Crock pot on low 6-8 hours. Serve topped with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and crush tortilla chips if you desire ( and trust me you desire) Serves 5-6 ppl
    zekeman17 and creepinjeeper like this.
  4. jmw

jmw Savant (440) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

robinsmv likes this.
  5. 1-2 bottles of Schlenkerla (sp?) rauchbier, 2 bay leaves, a TBSP or two of crushed garlic, a pork butt, a crockpot, and time. This is one of Northern Brewer's ideas for 'smoked' pork, and it's GREAT. Pull the pork apart in the crockpot when it's done, remove serving to bun, garnish with desired sauce, and rock out...phenomenal stuff
  6. jcanddr

jcanddr Aficionado (180) California Nov 16, 2009

This s a simple slow cooker or crockpot recipe so that a large hot meal will be ready when guests arrive and it goes fast.
    1.one pint (larger or smaller depending on size of cooker) of either a stout or porter. I use Guiness
    2. 5 lbs of red potatoes washed , quartered, peppered and salted
    3. 5 lbs of Brats, this is your choice my favorite is a mixture of octoberfest and cheese brats with caseings removed and cut into small pieces.
    The beer creates a great base and adds subtle flavor to the already seasoned potatos. the brats slowly release flavor and fats down onto the potatos underneath.
  7. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,195) Indiana Aug 11, 2012 Verified

8. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (305) California Jul 12, 2012

Beef spare rib
    Porter and stout mixed
    Fresh Quince
    Dried prunes and apricots
  9. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (410) California Feb 15, 2011

Beer pulled pork. Apply a rub, sear the pork on all sides, toss into the crockpot with 2 bottles of Old Rasputin and some bbq sauce, then put it on "low" and let it cook for 12 hours.

10. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (870) Michigan Mar 20, 2012 Verified

Not much of a "recipe" per se, but pouring FBS or GD Yeti over a few scoops of french vanilla ice cream is borderline orgasmic.
    Stout_Combo and creepinjeeper like this.
  11. Beer baked Mac n cheese
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  12. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Champion (805) Maryland Oct 15, 2011 Verified

Beef/bean chili + Titan IPA = om nom nom
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,060) New York Mar 12, 2009 Verified

Beer Batter for chicken or fish strips
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 egg, beaten
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups beer ( I use porters, my friends use lagers)
    A bit more flour for dredging
    Mix all above ingredients until smooth. Dredge fish or chicken in flour, then dip in batter , let excess drip off. Place 3 or 4 pc.'s at a time in skillet with 3/4 cup oil at 375 deg. Few minutes each side until brown.
    Stout_Combo, acevenom and franklinn like this.
  14. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Champion (875) Illinois Nov 8, 2012 Verified

I just finished making the bacon cheddar beer bread, using Alpha King instead of Dead Guy Ale. (Forgive me Rogue, I just didn't feel like going out :)) If anyone is interested I'll post to tell you how it turned out. I can honestly say it looks really good!
    fredmugs likes this.
  15. Stout_Combo

Stout_Combo Savant (255) Pennsylvania Sep 19, 2012 Verified

16. Beef and Rochefort Stew

• 3 1/2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 4 Cloves of Garlic
    • 4 Tbsp butter
    • 3 medium yellow onions sliced about 1/4 inch thick (about 8 cups)
    • 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
    • 2 bottles of Rochefort 10
    • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
    • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
    The night before marinate the 3 1/2 lbs of chuck with 4 mashed up cloves of garlic, 3 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and 8 tablespoons of Rochefort 10. Drink the rest of the bottle.

On the stove top, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot, almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the meat, without stirring, about 3 minutes on each side (do not stir, give the meat an opportunity to brown well). Transfer browned beef to a separate bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons butter to dutch oven; reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; cook until onions are browned, about 15 minutes. Add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits; stir in beer, thyme, bay, browned beef with any of the accumulated juices, and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a full simmer. Once simmering, cover and reduce heat to medium-low and leave it for 3 hours.

After 3 hours, uncover and skim fat with a spoon. Add mustard and brown sugar and leave uncovered on medium-low for two hours or until it reduces quite a bit.

I usually add cook up egg noddles and add them with the mustard and brown sugar. However, you can eat the stew as is, serve over fried potatoes, rice or noodles.

17. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (870) Michigan Mar 20, 2012 Verified

Thanks for this. Just made some with a few adjustments: used Terrapin Hopsecutioner for the beer, and used a 50/50 Cheddar and Provolone mix for the cheese. Came out pretty nice, although I think 5-10 more minutes in the oven would've been good for it. Nice hoppy aftertaste, too. Unique!
    fredmugs and creepinjeeper like this.
  18. creepinjeeper

The Alpha King was a nice sub, you can really taste the hops. I think we waited too long to eat it; it begs to be eaten warm. I saved to eat with the Cowboy Spaghetti I was making for dinner, instead. Here's how it looked:[​IMG]
    tectactoe likes this.
  19. creepinjeeper

Do you brown the ground beef before you add to crock pot? I assume you do, however, we all know what happens when one assumes . . .;) Cheers!
    Stout_Combo likes this.
  20. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

I'm going to say St Bernardus Braised Beef Shanks. I made these for a little internet comp awhile back. So rich and delicious.

2 bone-in beef shanks (around 2 lbs most likely)
    1 small patch of cheesecloth
    A bit of kitchen twine
    3/4 tsp of whole black peppercorns, cracked
    4 whole cloves
    1/2 tsp of whole allspice berries
    2 bay leaves
    1 cinnamon stick
    4-6oz of chopped prosciutto
    5 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 yellow onion, diced
    1 tbsp of molasses
    2 cups of St Bernardus Abt 12 (or other quadrupel)
    2 cups of beef stock
    kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
    pinch of nutmeg
    extra virgin olive oil

Place the peppercorns, cloves, allspice, bay leaves, and cinnamon in the cheesecloth. Wrap it up and tie with a small piece of kitchen twine and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack on the bottom 1/4 to bottom 1/3.

Heat a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-low to medium heat. Toss in the prosciutto and render the fat for around 15min until the meat is nice and crisp. Take out of the pot with a slotted spoon and set on a plate with paper towels.

Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add a tbsp or two of the oil into the rendered fat. Season both sides of the beef shanks with salt and pepper. Sear both sides of the meat to a nice medium to dark brown….around 4 minutes a side. Take out and set back on a plate.

Drop the heat back down to medium. Add in the onions and cook until soft and almost translucent. Add in the garlic. Cook for another minute. Then add in the beer, stock, molasses, and a pinch or two of salt. Bring to a quick boil then take off the heat.

Add in the beef shanks and prosciutto the pot. Submerse the cheesecloth spice packet in the liquids off to the side. Cover and place in the oven. Cook till fork tender, anywhere from 3-4 hours, braising and spooning the juices over the the beef about every 30min. If the broth is getting low and too thick halfway through the cooking, add in another 1/2 cup of beer or stock.

When done, take out of oven. Transfer meat and bones to a plate, discarding any fat on the outside hanging off. By now, the liquids in the pot should be thick and sauce like. If not, the put on stove and bring to a high heat to reduce until a nice, thick consistency (sauce-like, meaning it coats the back of a spoon).
    Serve meat and bones with some mashed potatoes and veggies. Pour that delicious sauce with the prosciutto tidbits over the meat. Enjoy. Don’t forget to eat the marrow out of the bones!

21. creepinjeeper

This recipe was a hit! It tasted so good! I did use a brown ale instead of an IPA, only because I am trying to easy my girlfriend into food made with beer. I will try it with an IPA next time. Thanks for posting this!
  22. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poobah (1,140) Maine Sep 17, 2005 Verified

This recipe also tastes good with vegan touch.
    3 lbs lamb shoulder with a little fat, cubed
    1/2 cup flour
    3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
    6 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    2 large yellow onions, cut into large dice
    3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 bunch fresh rosemary
    1 bunch fresh thyme
    1 bunch fresh parsley
    2 quarts lamb (enough to cover) or 2 quarts beef stock (enough to cover)
    12 ounces Guinness stout
    1 cup pearl barley (optional)
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste

The barley is optional but it makes it even more traditional. Cook it in 3 cups of stock for 20 minutes then add it into the stew when you return the meat to the pot.
    Cut off some of the parsley leaves and chop enough to make 2 tablespoons; reserve. Cut off some parsley stems, and tie them into a bundle with a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme; reserve.
    Season the meat with salt and brown the meat in a little oil. Remove and reserve, and sprinkle with a little flour, shaking off excess. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery to the pan and sauté, tossing to coat with the fat. Add the Guinness and deglaze, scraping up any caramelized meat juices. Add the potatoes, return the meat to the pot (and the barley if you're using it). Add enough stock to barely cover, cook over medium heat until just boiling, then reduce heat to very low and simmer 2 - 3 hours, until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
    Check seasonings, add salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat, stir in parsley and the cornstarch (mixed into 4 teaspoons water) and stir. Cook over low heat for a few more minutes to thicken. Serve with plenty of Irish brown or white soda bread, tea and more Guinness if you like.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  24. My Summer Favorite Brats in a beer bath.

3 beers, something like coors,bud,etc. ( I use lowenbrau, or st.pauli girls)
    2 yellow onions (thinly sliced)
    1 stick of butter
    1 aluminum pan

1 Grill brats to your liking.
    2 place aluminum pan on an area on your grill where its not to hot.( 1 side of grill should have charcoal/gas the other none.)
    3 pour beer, butter and onions in aluminum
    4 when brats are done let them simmer in the beer bath. (10-15 mins)
    5 serve on Hoagie/sub/hero's rolls
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  25. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (275) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

Just making my own twist on the classic Beef Carbonade ala Flamande! Substituting Sixpoint 3Bean for the Belgian ale.