1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Postcard from Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Apr 8, 2012.

1. heygeebee

heygeebee Member

Folks,
    Just back from a week in Hong Kong with mrs heygeebee. Some points of interest/insight – with 8 $HK to 1 $AUD:-

Takeaway beer is cheap, and everywhere! Examples include 640ml Tsingtao for $18. Four pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout around $45. Generic Vietnamese Lager two for $8. This all from your local 7/11.

Beer in restaurants is not much worse… we found 640ml Tsingtao for around $24, Carlsberg a bit more, and considerably worse in flavour.

Pommy beer is prevalent. And on tap! Old Speckled Hen at $35 a pint went down well, and had seemingly travelled quite well. Tetleys as well for around the same price.

Also saw many Leffe, Hoegaarden, and other Belgian on tap around the city.

Highlight in some ways? East End Brewery – two taps of own brews, we sampled the Aldrich Bay Pale – an EPA very nice.
    http://www.elgrande.com.hk/outlets/HongKong/EastEndBreweryCB/page1/

And then this for a bottle list….
    http://www.elgrande.com.hk/outlets/dir_attachments/8_0.pdf

I’ll let you do all the $ conversions….. a very different beer scene.
  2. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

V. Cheap. I would like to know the wage costs etc or product deals they have to manage that.

Then again, I remember being in a bar in Prague circa 2001 and after some quick conversions, realising a pint of local pilsner was costing me 9 cents Australian (9 is not a typo). I bought a round for the 50 people in the pub, made friends very easily that day.

It's good to see the US craft getting a foot hold. Their government actively helps though. After they set up their Brewers Association they got a grant from the Department of Agriculture to set-up tastings and promotions etc. within Asia and the rest of the world. Rogue, Stone and Dogfish Head and a few of the other 'big boys' are actively involved in this. Hopefully when our craft brewers are organised we can push the government for the same thing...
  3. deathevocation

deathevocation Member

I'm assuming the Guinness is the Malaysian brewed version. Great beer, everytime I'm in SEA I'm onto it.

Heavy hitter too, think it's upwards of 7%. Pity we don't get it.
  4. heygeebee

heygeebee Member

I was trying to work it out - may be a bit of both. Take Chimay Blue in the bar. 750ml works out at 30 Aus, whereas I belive it would be around 50 in a bottle-o here, sometimes less on discount. So that's probably a bit of bar mark-up, coupled with less tax. Have no reason to think HK wages would be less than most Aus cities.

Any industry folks work out the likley tax here on a 750ml of Chimay Blue - around the 9% ABV?
  5. danieelol

danieelol Member

"Have no reason to think HK wages would be less than most Aus cities."

Really? Not doubting you but I am pretty surprised.
  6. Darwin553

Darwin553 Member

I can - HK wages would be half in my estimation with much of their other income coming from tips...
  7. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aficionado

They tip in Hong Kong? HMMMMMMMMMMM
  8. Lukie

Lukie Member

I am confused by what HGB i saying.

750 Chimay Blue in a HK bar is 30 bucks, but is 50 bucks over here, in Aus dollars?

That can't be right. You can get a 750ml Chimay Blue for under 20 here in Aus. If bar pricing is 50 on that, then that bar is dumb.
  9. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aficionado

at the Belgian Beer Cafe the Chimay Blue is about $32
  10. heygeebee

heygeebee Member

Sorry guys, my bad ... the bar in question was selling Chimay Blue for

Magnums - ie 1500ml for the equivalent of $30 AUD
    750mls for equivalent of $12 AUD

hope that clears up that little goof, and puts my point back into perspective.....

Also US brews - Brooklyn, Anderson Valley, Mendicino for the equivalent of $6-7 AUD (prices on the site were a little out of date)
  11. deathevocation

deathevocation Member

Surely professionals get paid well over there - have a look at cost of real estate there. Incredible.