1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

potential bad trader...advice from the community, Ace_of_Suds

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by kbuzz, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJ2013

KJ2013 Savant (355) Pennsylvania Apr 14, 2013

oh shit sorry guys.
    i will do that

blue-dream likes this.
  2. Brewski

Brewski Savant (355) Pennsylvania Jul 22, 2012

When you do this KJ2013, leave out all personal information such as address, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. If you post that kind of stuff the mods will delete the post.

kbuzz and blue-dream like this.
  3. KJ2013

1. [​IMG]
      Ace_of_Suds Savant (255) New York Nov 12, 2013
    2. If you can't find any locally, let me know. There's a ton around NYC.

Dan
    3. Ace_of_Suds, Dec 30, 2013 Report
      • [​IMG]
        KJ2013 Savant (325) Pennsylvania Apr 13, 2013
        Oh really? Thanks for the info Dan! How much does Peche Mortel go for up in NYC? I don't know why it's so rare here. Maybe we can set up some type of trade? Or if you ever come to Pittsburgh we can do IP.
        Ken
        KJ2013, Dec 30, 2013 Report
      • [​IMG]
        Hey Ken. No problem. I believe it is $5.99 per 12 oz bottle at my local store. Pretty steep, but I don't think I've seen it cheaper in NYC. I'll confirm the price when I stop by tonight. And yeah, I'm definitely down for a trade. I am heading to Philly at the end of this month, but that's as far west in PA I'm heading any time soon. Let me know what goodies you have FT and we'll work something out. Also, let me know how many bottles you will want so I can pick them up this week. Thanks.

Dan
        Ace_of_Suds, Dec 30, 2013 Report
      • [​IMG]
        Hey Dan. I can get Fatheads Headhunter IPA if you like the hoppy stuff and can't get this in NYC. I also have some Thirsty Dog Wulver as well. I have other stuff but i am not sure what you guys get up there so let me know if any of this sounds interesting enough to send me some Peche Mortel
        Ken
        KJ2013, Dec 30, 2013 Report
      • [​IMG]
        I would like at least 4 Peche Mortels. You have access to any of the goose island bourbon county variants up there? they are a tough find down here. I could throw in a mix of wulvers and fatheads headhunter if you like for a mix of those. Just let me know if you can get any bourbon county stuff. If not, we can do a straight trade for some peche mortel
        Ken
        KJ2013, Dec 31, 2013 Report

4. KJ2013

1. The barley wine will be easier for me to part with. I would only do a bottle or 2 of the coffee. And only 1 of the Backyard Rye. But I would need you to come strong on the Rye. Let me know. I'm excited to work something out and try that Headhunter and Wulver!
    • [​IMG]
      Wow that is awesome you got all those bourbon county variants! Yea I think we can work out a good trade. We can skip the backyard rye then. If it's that limited for you, then no worries. Feel free to decline if this doesn't work for you, but i am gonna throw it out there. I will send you 8 Fatheads Headhunters, 2 Thirsty Dog Wulvers, and I can send you a Fatheads Holly Jolly Christmas as well as a Thirsty Dog Christmas if you haven't had them yet and would be interested? If not, i'll dig around and see what else I have. In return, let me know what you can send. I was thinking maybe 2 Bourbon County Coffee, 2 BC Barleywine, 2 regular Bourbon County, and 2 Peche Mortels? Actually let me know how much those BC variants go for per bottle. I wanna make sure i'm not ripping you off cost-wise. I can see about throwing a couple more things in if it's not even.
      Ken
    • [​IMG]
      All of them are regular size 12 oz bottles. As far as the amount you are asking for, that's definitely doable. But I would prob prefer to leave the option of doing one coffee, two barley wine and four BCBS (to make up for 1 less coffee) and then 2 peche mortel. How would you feel about that? And I like to try anything I haven't had, so the Xmas ales are fine. The cost of the Peche Mortels is $5.99. The BCBS was $24.99 for the 4 pack and the variants were bought at different prices depending on where I found them. I would say the average was $7/bottle. So the total value of all bottles would be in the $55-$60 range depending on how we work it out. With that said, I'm not a penny pincher, and I'm certainly not going to make an issue over a couple bucks. Just do what you think is fair. At the end of the day, it's just about trying something new. My only concern is that the head hunters are relatively fresh.

Dan
      Ace_of_Suds, Dec 31, 2013 Report
    • [​IMG]
      I agree but I know some people are really particular about even cost and I am certainly not one that wants to stiff anyone in any way. Wulver is $7 a bottle and BA Siberian Night is $7-8 a bottle too. I think your deal is quite fair and I am going to grab a thirsty dog barrel aged siberian night to throw in as well. I will also look at what I have and throw in one more on top of that stuff and we'd be even cost wise based on what you said yours went for. Headhunter should be fresh since i get it right from Fatheads itself and they keep it constantly rotating and in stock. It gets purchased a lot so it never seems to sit anywhere. I'll start getting these all together and try to have it ready to ship by the end of the week if you are ok with this deal.
      Ken
    • [​IMG]
      Awesome. That sounds great (and just in time for an upcoming tasting on the 11th). I will be sending on Friday from work. I'll shoot you a pick of the package and tracking number once it's sent. My work address is as follows:

I hope you have a great New Years man. Drink well and be safe!

Dan
      Ace_of_Suds, Dec 31, 2013 Report
    • [​IMG]
      That sounds great too. I will try to get my stuff together to ship by then too. Shouldn't be a problem though.
      That's cool you can have beer sent to your work! haha
      Have a great New Years buddy
      Ken

5. KJ2013

1. Haha. I prob shouldn't, but I know it will be sure to reach me there. My local PO is horrible and if I miss the package, I will have to wait in line for an hour + on a Saturday to retrieve it (if they can find it). Budget cuts have really taken a toll on the USPS.
    • [​IMG]
      Oh man that sucks. I definitely understand the need to use a work address then. Not a way to spend a saturday! Thankfully that is not a problem here yet in Pittsburgh. Hope you enjoy some good beers for the new year
      Ken
    • [​IMG]
      Sure. I never used that either. Sounds good to me. I'm gonna get headhunter tomorrow. Wanted to try getting it as fresh as possible for you. Will send you the tracking number when I ship it out too
      KJ2013, Jan 7, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      Hey buddy i have driven around to numerous places around the city the last couple days and everyone is temporarily out of fatheads headhunter ipa. I'm really sorry about this. It is always an easy beer to find so I am sure i will get it soon, but if you do not want to wait, I can throw in another Wulver and another BA Siberian Night to go with the other ones i am already sending, as well as a Great Lakes Blackout Stout if you never had that and one other bottle as well. This would keep our trade equal as far as cost. But if you want, I can wait until headhunter is back on shelves and then ship my stuff out to you. Just let me know what you prefer. Again i am really sorry and I feel really bad. This beer is normally everywhere due to its popularity and it being local for Pittsburgh.
      Ken​

6. KJ2013

1. Hey, that's ok. I understand. I kind of had my heart set on the headhunter, so let's just wait for now. My bottles aren't going anywhere, so just check back in in a week or so, and we'll see what's up. Thanks for the heads up though.

Dan
    • [​IMG]
      Ok that works for me. Fatheads bottle shop temporarily closed due to their coolers breaking, so i think everyone ran out to the stores and bought up the Headhunter. I honestly can't see any other reason why everyone is suddenly out of it. It's normally everywhere. I guess i have shitty luck! I appreciate you being cool about this. I'll message you as soon as fatheads gets things going again.
      Ken
      KJ2013, Jan 9, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      Checked with fatheads yesterday, and the guy said they should get fresh bottles of Headhunter this week, so hopefully this means we can finally do this trade. Sorry again for the ridiculous delay
      Ken
      KJ2013, Jan 13, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      Hey i got the Headhunter finally! packing it now and taking it to fedex to ship it tonight. Threw in a couple extra bottles to say sorry for the long wait and for you being really cool about my delays with the Headhunter. Fatheads said they just got it in so it should be fresh. Thanks again! i'll message you the tracking number tonight when i get back from shipping it out
      Ken
      KJ2013, Jan 16, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      According to Fedex, your stuff should arrive today so hope you enjoy what I sent! Let me know when you ship out. I threw in a bourbon vanilla stout homebrew that is in a sam adams bottle so let me know if you like that at all.
      Ken
      KJ2013, Jan 21, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      Really?? HA! Awesome. Thanks man. Your package is going out tomorrow. It is blizzarding here and I won't get to work until tomorrow. I will send to the tracking number some point before the end of the day tomorrow. And I'll confirm with you once your package arrives. I can't wait.

Dan
      Ace_of_Suds, Jan 21, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      No problem buddy. We only got a couple inches of snow here but it's really damn cold. So no worries on sending tomorrow i understand the weather sucks. I'll probably still receive it by friday or saturday if it's sent tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to finally getting some bourbon county variants.
      Ken​

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  7. KJ2013

1. I believe the eagle is in the nest. It says it was delivered. I will check tomorrow. Thanks again!
    • [​IMG]
      I did! I just got them this morning (snow day yesterday). Thank you so much for the extras. They look awesome. I can't wait to try the Wulver. I was surprised that none of them broke though considering how they were packed! It doesn't matter to me how you pack them, but I wouldn't want you to get screwed in a trade because some of your bottles broke. I will hopefully be sending yours through my jobs UPS account today (so I save a buck). I forward you the tracking number as soon as it goes out. Thanks again!

Dan
      Ace_of_Suds, Jan 23, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      Cool sounds good. Can't wait to get mine! Glad they all showed up ok. Thought i packed them well enough but perhaps i will rethink how i do that. How did you pack them? Thats my third trade ever and i packed that way each time with no problems.
      Ken
      KJ2013, Jan 23, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      I use a mix of bubble wrap, packing peanuts and cardboard. I'm just paranoid that they will break in transit. Also, I don't want them to move around too much and make noise. People may get suspicious.​

8. KJ2013

1. Just curious: have you had any of the BCS this year? Or variants? Are they hard to find where you live?
    2. Ace_of_Suds, Jan 23, 2014 Report
      • [​IMG]
        Thats a good idea too. I packed mine tight, or at least i thought i did, so that they wouldn't break or move in a way that brings suspicion, but i think i may take your advice and pack that way from now on. Anyways i hope you enjoy them all. Wulver and BA Siberian Night are some of my favorites.
      • [​IMG]
        I had regular bcs on tap and never had any of the variants. They are tough to find here but are gradually getting less difficult to get. Problem is that the limited amount that comes to Pittsburgh gets bought up so fast. Are they easy to get in NYC?
      • [​IMG]
        Yeah, they were pretty easy to get here. It seemed like every shop and hole in the wall had it this year. It was popping up at regular supermarkets. In total, I got 5 4 packs of BCBS, 5 4 packs of BCBBW, 2.5 4 packs of BCBCS, 3 bottles of Backyard Rye and 1 King Henry (in a raffle). The only thing that was hard to find without a limit was the Coffee.
        Ace_of_Suds, Jan 23, 2014 Report
      • [​IMG]
        Wow thats awesome. I hope we get to the point where it is so easy to buy around here like that. I can't wait to try the bcbbw and the bcbcs. I hear great things about king henry too. Never even seen that around here.
      • [​IMG]
        Negative. They are slated to be sent from my work mail room on Monday. Should I hold off? It's dropping to 1 degree here as well at the beginning of the week. They send it ground UPS if that matters.​

9. KJ2013

1. No that's fine if you send it Monday, then it will get here probably on Thursday and it'll be warmer by then. Thanks for the heads up
    • [​IMG]
      Hey does ups need someone home to sign for a package? I believe you said that's what you were using to ship. Let me know so I can have someone here to sign for it. Hope you are enjoying those beers!
      KJ2013, Jan 28, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      hey my g/f should be home in the daytime tomorrow so let me know if you shipped that beer out friday and i'll tell her to keep an eye out for it tomorrow while i'm at work. You have any of the beers i sent you yet?
      KJ2013, Feb 3, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      hey buddy, i haven't heard from you in quite a while and i never received any beer from you, so i'm just wondering if everything is ok? You said you were shipping out 9 days ago, so i should have gotten the beers by now. Hope nothing happened regarding you personally or with the shipping of the beers. Let me know what is going on as soon as you can
      Ken
      KJ2013, Feb 9, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      Hey Ken,

I just logged back on for the first time in a couple weeks. There was a death in my family and I've been back home in RI with my fam until today. I'm really sorry for the delay. I'm sure by now you think I've bailed. That wasn't my intention at all. Your package (and many extras for your patience) is going out tomorrow. It hasn't been a good past few weeks, so I hope you understand. But hopefully things will get back to normal.

Thanks,
      Dan
      Ace_of_Suds, Mar 2, 2014 Report
    • [​IMG]
      Based on our previous talks and so on through beer advocate, i had a really hard time believing that you would rip me off, so I had a feeling that something was very wrong. I am very sorry for your loss and you do not have to send me any extras. Plenty of things in life are way more important than beer so I completely understand. I had left a couple messages on here saying that I hoped that things were ok and that you hadn't skipped out, so I just figured I would wait and hear from you sometime down the road. I feel really bad that you have been going through a rough time and hope things get better for you buddy.
      Take Care
      Ken
      KJ2013, Mar 2, 2014 Report

10. KJ2013

1. Hey buddy did you send anything my way yet? I remember you saying last monday but i never received anything, so i thought i'd check in with you. Let me know
        Ken
    • [​IMG]
      So it's again been over a month and no word on anything. Are you really sending this beer? I'm honestly starting to wonder now. I understand completely why you were unable to before, but once again you said you were sending it, and once again I receive nothing and hear nothing.
      KJ2013, Apr 16, 2014 Report
      1. [​IMG]
      2. What's going on? I still never got anything from you and it has been MONTHS. Don't even have the decency to at least say something as far as any delays or anything. I have been really really really patient and tried to be understanding to anything you tell me, but this is fucking bullshit. I sent you a good amount of beer and to just rip me off is ridiculous. I honestly believed you had some shit going on and was completely fine with waiting and seeing what happens, but I really am struggling to believe that this is now anything but you fucking me over.​

11. KJ2013

so there it all is
    enjoy

mythaeus, mendvicdog and blue-dream like this.
  12. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

That was a beautiful and thrilling read. Had some ups and some downs and a dark ending. A+!!

13. Brewski

blue-dream likes this.
  14. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (380) New York Nov 21, 2008

Really shitty, kj was super patient and even nice to the guy. Pathetic ace

jshusc and KJ2013 like this.
  15. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

Just want to chime in as someone who met @Ace_of_Suds through this site, with no affiliation to him away aside from our mutual passion for beer.

We've met up several times for small IP trades and gifts, and I will vouch for his being a remarkably giving and kind person. Numerous times he has gifted me beers that he's sought out for me, knowing that I'll "Beer it Forward" next time I'm able to find something he'd love.

While I certainly acknowledge that the accusations are entirely possible, it seems entirely out of character for the kind and giving person I've gotten to know as a fellow BAer.

16. KJ2013

I must say that based on our talks on here and based on the one other person I had talked to who traded with him, I thought the same MisterBisco. That is why this whole thing puzzled me and why I was so patient for such a long time. I did not get the impression that he was looking to rip me off in any way, but that is exactly what has happened here. This all would not even be happening if he even took a couple minutes to ever reply to my messages asking him what is going on. I tried to be kind at every turn and be patient as long as possible, but this has gotten to the point that it is ridiculous and unacceptable.

Brewski and blue-dream like this.
  17. Graviz

Graviz Savant (280) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

Have you tried calling him? If you don't have his number I'm sure MisterBisco does.

blue-dream and King_Ranch like this.
  18. MisterBisco

I do indeed. I have his e-mail address as well (which I'd feel more comfortable giving out before his phone number).

That said, I let him know about this thread, and he's going to address this when he gets home from work (been texting with him).

mythaeus likes this.
  19. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

The first clue of an issue should have been that EVERY time you messaged him, he had a new day/place he was going to drop off the package. I understand that shit comes up, but seriously it takes 5 minutes to drop by a FedEx store and drop a box off (or have them pick it up right from your home). Minor delays are one thing, but his responses are rife with excuses and delays that would have made me very nervous.

Also, you both mention using the trade feature on the site, but did that never happen? Maybe I missed that part

JavaNoire likes this.
  20. kmello69

Great. It will be interesting to hear how he justifies a 7 month delay.....

blue-dream likes this.
  21. MisterBisco

To be fair, I think something is messed up with the dating on all those messages - every message from KJ is dated April 13 and every message from Ace is dated November 12. Something is amiss.

22. Yohann

Yohann Aficionado (170) Wisconsin Apr 29, 2014

Those are their BA join dates. Look below the message text for the message date.

23. kmello69

You're looking at their join dates.

First message: Dec 30, 2013. Last message: July 6, 2014.

24. MisterBisco

25. Brewski

26. MisterBisco

Dear person I've never interacted with who decided to be a dick for no reason,

No, I haven't, nor am I trying to. I have no idea what happened in that time span, and I hope that Ace can come and clear it up, one way or the other. However, I wanted to add to the discussion (prompted by the posting of a private conversation) by confirming that some of their back-and-forth was motivated by truth, not excuses.

27. blue-dream

blue-dream Moderator (565) Illinois Aug 22, 2013 Staff Member

You dont need to explain anything for him, he needs to come on here and speak for himself, and I dont know what kind of excuses he has to not reply or ship to @KJ2013 . The conversation is there for everyone to read and dude looks like a dick. What on gods green earth could make him stop communication short of being in a coma. Trust me I hope he comes on here says sorry and ships a big box of beer to make up for it, but he will still b on my DNT list for life.

cavedave and JavaNoire like this.
  28. MisterBisco

Duly noted, and appreciated. I have no problem with anything you've said, though I want to reiterate that, at least in person, Ace has been beyond a stand-up dude.

Was more annoyed with the random assholery demonstrated by @Brewski, despite our never having interacted before.

Anyhow, I'm seriously done with this thread, and I hope it ends happily for everyone!

29. KJ2013

I appreciate the input MisterBisco and I would be quite happy to see this all end well too. The whole thing has been strange and frustrating for some time. Kmello69 I have thought back on this and you make some good points on there being some warning signs that this did not seem right. But I guess at the time I did not pick up on them for whatever reason. Believe me, nobody regrets this whole thing more than me. I had pointed out earlier in this I think (sorry if I did not) that I did not use the trade feature thing correctly and that was my own ignorance on using the site properly. I guess I will just wait and see if Ace of Suds decides to finally respond to me after a long silence and see what happens

30. Brewski

Haha....sorry man, didn't mean to upset you. I just think posting a link about the weather for a couple days out of a 7 month span doesn't help justify why he still hasn't shipped. The only one that can explain that is Ace. And hopefully he does.

31. kmello69

This isn't on you, I'm just quoting your post to repeat what he said.

I wonder what time he gets home from work? It's 9:19 eastern time right now

cfh64 and blue-dream like this.
  32. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I wouldnt trust anyone with an avatar that looked like ace_of_studs's avatar. the name Ace_of Studs_doesnt help either.

The only avatar I would trust less in one from the PNW with a Seahawks image...

have some faith! the guy seems so honest...

Marco_Gtz, JavaNoire and kbuzz like this.
  33. Graviz

Criminals don't get home until late typically. He might be late but I'm sure he'll show up. ;)

Edit: Before anyone gets offended I'm just giving him the business.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  34. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (555) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Maybe he's shipping the box right now so he can come here with a tracking number...

Wishful thinking?

KJ2013 likes this.
  35. kmello69

Haha it's Ace of Suds you goofball! ;)

lic217 likes this.
  36. Graviz

What if MasterBisco was Ace!?!? Dun Dun Duuuuun!

Marco_Gtz likes this.
  37. mps

mps Savant (275) Ohio Jul 27, 2013

I agree would like to hear his side of the story but KJ has been calling him out in postings and he hasn't responded to any of those either so it's really not looking too good for your buddy.

Also has anyone every gotten ripped off on an IP trade before? I guess you could get robbed

lic217 and JavaNoire like this.
  38. I don't care if this guy comes through, his rep is completely screwed on BA now. I hope you get your beer, KJ. But seriously, screw this guy. You've been more than patient. What a dickhead.

KJ2013, JavaNoire and blue-dream like this.
  39. edmaher

edmaher Savant (355) Illinois Jan 11, 2008

I got stiffed once. Reached out to every person who he had completed trades with to hound him, some turned out to be friends, so that helped. Had the guy's address so found out where he worked. Called him there. Once he got a call at his office from me, he knew I was serious about getting the beer.

Just get as far up in his business as you can. As soon as you make it more trouble not to send you the beer, hell send the beer.

elkevo, KJ2013, lic217 and 2 others like this.
  40. Jeez give the guy a chance to get home from work, it is only about 11 pm here on the east coast.

cavedave and jmdrpi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.