1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Prairie Artisan Ales coming to Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by chaseabeer, Jan 17, 2013.

1. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

Not yet, but I'm trying.

Ben E Keith said their plate was pretty full...
    Duff hasn't responded to my email I sent a few days ago.
    Any other suggestions?
  2. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Good luck, I would love to see you guys in Texas. Just sent a text to a friend that works for Duff. Hopefully he looks at this thread.
  3. elWhite

elWhite Aficionado (185) Texas Aug 29, 2006

Hey, it's Kyle with Duff. I'd be glad to get you in touch with the proper people. I'll go ahead and DM you my contact info. Look forward to talking with you.
  4. chaseabeer

Awesome! Thinking it wouldn't be too hard to get beer down here. Just need to start the process.
    Exiled likes this.
  5. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Send all the Abraxas to Houston. Thanks.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Now find an Austin distributor ;)

We have cookies... and Firestone Walker.
  7. chaseabeer

Wrong brewey
    willandperry likes this.
  8. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

LOL... that's Perennial Artisan Ales.
  9. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Ohhhhh!

Anyway, Prairie Noir sounds pretty tasty!
  10. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Your best bet outside of Duff territory will most likely be Favorite Brands.
  11. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Yes we need this. I had some Prairie Ale the other night. Fantastic saison. Also have a bottle of Prairie Noir that I'm saving for my last day of work at my 2nd job next week. I look forward to the release of cherry funk.
    cfh64 likes this.
  12. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Duff bought Favorite, they are one company now.
  13. BgThang

BgThang Savant (410) Texas Dec 23, 2007

LMAO

If Prairie Artisan other ales are quality like their saison is. I cannot wait. I still have one bottle of the saison left.
    wagenvolks likes this.
  14. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Can we have both? (Abraxas is AMAZING stuff!)

I've heard great things about Prairie and look forward to getting to try some.

Will it be coming as far south as Houston?
  15. chaseabeer

Getting some BA Abraxas from their head brewer Saturday.
  16. pwsoldier

Correct, though I was under the impression that it was more of a merger than a buyout and that Favorite Brands (already owned by L&F, a Bud distibutor) was the company on the acquisition side of the deal, not Duff. Referring to them as one company will take some getting used to, and I'm not completely sure which name to use. Either way, Duff/Favorite is currently the best statewide option for small breweries that can't get signed with BEK.
  17. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (425) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Awesome news. Any idea at all on when?
  18. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Awesome!

I'm trying to secure a couple bottles myself. The regular is so good that I have high hope for the BA version.
  19. mattisloco

I completely agree, although I'm really excited to see what Andrews its going to do with the new Boulevard guy running them.
  20. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Haha whoops on the mixup, but I guess you guys can see how close their names are.
  21. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

This is just awesome news. I drank my second Prairie Ale last night (2 left with more on the way) and the second go around was even better than the first. I really appreciated the slight tartness it leaves(similar to a Berliner but less), it blends well with the citrus and the spice. I owe Will a decent review and maybe the next bottle ill start.

I could bog down this thread with more unofficial reviews but ill spare you save this. I will aim to keep Standard in my fridge at all times as my go-to Saison. And I might make sweet sweet love to my remaining bottle of Noir.

Anyway I hope to meet you soon and to hear more about your plans. Please thank your brother for the artwork (I got that right?), each label is really well executed and has provided another talking point when I've had a chance to introduce your beer to new people (my friends from Bartlesville really enjoyed the Standard label)

Worst case set up at store really close to the border so us NTX folks can jet up in the short term for a fix.
  22. dfree23

dfree23 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 1, 2010

I echo what Horned Frog says.

I would love to have it here, really would be great so I don't have to wait to get back to Tulsa.
  23. pwsoldier, It is definitely more of a merger, all the people at Duff are great at what they do and we are lucky to have them aboard. We will be known as Favorite Brands moving forward but I like calling us Favorite Duff Brands!! Thank you so much for the kind words "best statewide option." Our mission is to bring the consumers of Texas the best and most unique craft beer, which brings us to Prairie Artisan Ales. It is beers like this that we are actively exploring to bring to Texas. 2013 is certainly an exciting time for the beer industry in Texas and I cannot wait to share all of the awesome news and beer that we will be bringing to you this year. Here is just a taste...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/697/2013
    Cheers,
    John Maestas
    Favorite Brands DFW Craft Beer Manager.
    soultrain19, elWhite, TapThat and 4 others like this.
  24. pwsoldier

Thanks for the clarification, John! The Duff guys down here seem pretty stoked to have a bigger portfolio and a closer warehouse, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new brands you guys are able to bring us. The reviews of Prairie look pretty stellar and I'm definitely a fan of Hitachino Nest.
    mattisloco likes this.
  25. mattisloco

Thanks John for the clarification. You are a great help and member of the southwest forum!
  26. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I sure hope Fort Worth gets it..
  27. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

Oh, that's greatness! Hitachino Nest is bad-ass! Cheers!
    mattisloco likes this.
  28. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

If any you houston locals want a taste of prairie, I'll be bringing a bottle of Prairie Noir to this event http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/58772. It's a whiskey-barrel aged Imperial Stout. Giggity. *Also plan on bringing a bottle of Moloko or something similiarly awesome*
    JohnBender likes this.
  29. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

If you are looking to trade any, let me know!
  30. I'm stocked heavy if any of you Texas guys want to do some trading. Just BM me on what you want and what you gots.
  31. chaseabeer

I'll bring a bottle to the bottle share Sunday.
  32. mattisloco

Great news, glad you're able to make it.
  33. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

Had some at the JK event. Everything I had was delicious! I'm really excited that we'll get this stuff regularly. (Maybe?) From looking at the prices, good price point too.
  34. H0rnedFr0gs

I was really happy to have brought them out, unfortunately anyone not there in the first hour probably missed out. I heard plenty of good things throughout the day from others who enjoyed them..in particular the Prairie Hop seemed to be a hit
  35. reifsnid

reifsnid Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2006

I really enjoyed the Prairie Noir as well! Much thanks for bringing them.
  36. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (760) Texas Jun 14, 2012

The Prairie Noir was my favorite and the Prairie Hop was a close second. Both are really good, good enough that I made a little detour when I was in OK last week to make sure and stock up on all the Prairie Ales I could find!
  37. Did you bring any prairie ale? Personally that is my favorite.
  38. H0rnedFr0gs

Everything but Standard was opened...and each went super quick. Noir was the second bottle popped after the growler of Abyss ( which was nice but something was a little off).

I saw the artwork for the new Saison on FB today. Hopefully that will make its way down soon
  39. chaseabeer

Needing a few boxes of Nelson Sauvin so I can brew more for Texas.
  40. H0rnedFr0gs

Good to hear. I'm very thankful that guys like Will can help me out short term, but really all we need is some regional exposure and that spark will travel a long way (maybe connect with Chad at the Big Texas Beer Fest if possible)

I've said it before but your focus on a high quality product, at an affordable price, coupled with an artistic package makes for a home run. Aesthetically speaking I thought Ale was one of the best labels I have seen period. Whoever's idea it was to use the rippled paper deserve plenty of kudos. And as Will has stated... It's f-ing tasty to boot