1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Praise for Etre Gourmet

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ShanePB, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I know Etre Gourmet has received some bad feedback and flak here in the past, but my first order with them was outstanding. I placed my order on 3/13/2012 and received my package today, 3/19/2012 - that's under a week! Not only that, but their packaging was stellar. Each bottle was individually bubble wrapped, and then wrapped again in a piece of cardboard, and finally placed inside a sectioned-off cardboard slot.

Not only are their prices cheaper than most other Belgian-based websites, but the shipping was reasonable, packaging was great and they got me my box 6 days after I placed my order. Awesome job guys, I'll be back for more.

Cheers, I just wanted to pass along this good experience for the skeptics.

P.S. here was the shipment:
    [​IMG]
    brystmar and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  2. Thanks for the post! I've been on the fence about ordering, would you mind saying how much the shipping was?
  3. The shipping was right around $100 (€75). Expensive, yes but I found it to be worth it. Not to mention I've created a similar cart on other websites (Belgiuminabox) and not only were the bottle prices more expensive, the shipping was too.
  4. I too ordered from etre gourmet a few months ago and had a similar experience, ordered 10 bottles, shipping took 8 days and the packaging was impeccable! You have to play around with the shipping (adding/deleting bottles in the shopping cart) as the price depends on the weight of your order as ordering 10 750 ml bottles was $100, as adding another bottle would of doubled my shipping to 150 euros.
  5. My one and only experience was also very good. Impeccable packing and timely service. I will certainly be using them again when I feel like beating up my bank account again.
    DirtyPenny and Etan like this.
  6. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

FWIW, I second ShanePB's experience...I've ordered from Etre Gourmet twice. My first order arrived perfectly in about a week during the Christmas season...amazing. My last order was a Westy brick, 3 Cuvee Delphines, 3 Black Albert Lot B's, LP Kriek 750 and a Zomer...all arrived just fine except a Black Albert. I let Robert know about the breakage and offered a suggestion about how it was packed (explained I didn't want a thing in return), but Robert insisted he would throw in a Black Albert at his cost for my next order. Again, not only is Etre cheaper (both in bottle and shipping prices), but they, usually Robert, respond promptly (within a couple of days) to any questions or order issues.

I've ordered through belgiuminabox and while their packaging is a bit more bulletproof, I personally don't think the cost differences are worth it most of the time. To be 100% fair, BIAB does provide fantastic service...just at higher prices than others.
  7. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I just wanted to add that I received my Belgiuminabox order today. The packing was sub-par from my last few shipments with them. Bottom of 2 bottles exposed and touching the side of the box. They did throw in about 100 3F coasters.
  8. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

What about a Lost Abbey cork? (Add large grin face to emphasise joke, which of course isn't available on my phone)
  9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Post Approved.

Belgium in a Box does have a tendency to thrown in free stuff from time to time. My friend got a terribly designed 3F baseball cap and I received a free Cantillon glass once.
    brystmar likes this.
  10. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

A free Cantillon glass is a hell of a bonus.
    JohnnyTightLips likes this.
  11. I recently read a story about a box from one of the Belgian stores being hit with a customs charge for like $40 extra bucks. Has anyone experienced that with Etre. I really want to place an order with them.
  12. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

We've done a few orders with être with no issues other then a broken Armand 4 lente (r.i.p.) they refunded the difference promptly. Bout to place a much larger order with them next week.
  13. Do they ship to MA?
  14. Customs is random and unrelated to the shipper. You're at risk of getting smacked with applicable customs fees with any international order for anything.
  15. They will ship anywhere in the US, to my knowledge.
  16. Jetfire

Jetfire Aficionado (125) Minnesota May 29, 2009

My package tracking was just updated to "Handed over to customs" Grrr!
  17. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Don't worry, all packages go through customs. Expect your package to show up unannounced in the next week or two. At least, that's how my couple of orders from them have gone.
  18. My most recent EtreGourmet package was confiscated by customs, luckily I had the opportunity to return to sender. I'm 1 for 2 with them. 1 for 1 with BelgiumInABox :)
  19. kozaka

kozaka Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 25, 2006

Great to hear, thanks for the post.
  20. Jetfire

Cool thanks! Can't wait for it to arrive, I will post either way if it makes it or not.
  21. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

Man if I ever won the lottery the order I'd place at Etre would be so ridiculous. Dreams...
    LSUPT likes this.
  22. Jetfire

I know! I stoped at 10 bottles, but would love as I've been looking more I've found a bunch more that I'd like
  23. I've ordered stuff but still can't figure out how to optimize shipping effectively. The Armand 4 set was bout 150 in shipping and it seemed everytime I doubled the order shipping went up at the same rate. :eek:
  24. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

Email them!
  25. Jetfire

What I've seen on shipping is 78 euros for 10 bottles if you go over that even by 1 bottle its an extra 78 euros
  26. Yep, I capped my shipment at 10 bottles and it was around that price with Etre for shipping. It used to be 75 euros and now they're up to 78 euros as a minimum.
  27. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Levifunk had a good spreadsheet of it...there's shipping "windows" so to speak. For example like at 20,21 and 22 750s the shipping is 10/bottle and then it goes up to 20/bottle until you hit 35 and then it goes down to 9.50 for that window. If you make a spreadsheet and play around with it you'll notice
  28. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Just found the copy I made https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtcXgtnqwTrCdHBwSTRWdnZ3cy1EQXNkUVZoWWY1WkE#gid=0

The shipping windows I was talking about are in blue. Shipping might have gone up since then though but who knows...just enter a few orders and look if the price is the same as on the spreadsheet
    Knownfactor likes this.
  29. cLin

cLin Aficionado (185) California Jul 21, 2010

I've ordered from them twice. The first shipment took about a month. The second took about a week or so. Packaging was excellent both times. Shipping is expensive, but I guess that comes with shipping overseas.
  30. It's purely around weight and the box. They basically take bottle weight plus necessary packaging and that needs to come under the tier limit for the price. They probably err a bit on the side of caution on the web site too. The Armand 4 set likely had special shipping container/weight because of the case it was in.

Generally, 10 750's will maximize your value. Try slipping an 11oz bottle in there as a "freebie" too.
  31. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I've ordered from them four times. Three packages arrived in great shape and I'm waiting on the fourth. On the first two orders, I could only get 9 x 750s in order to stay under weight. That said, my strategy is to pick 9 x 750s that I want, try to add a 10th and if that fails, add two 333 or 375s and if that fails, one 333 or 375. According to their weights, one 750 weight a good bit more than 2 x 375s.
  32. Does anyone know anything about shipping cost for multiple 375s? I'm looking for probably 6-8 375s and finish off the order with 750s. I'll play around with it a bit, but any insight would be helpful.
  33. I've had better luck with shipping on 375's on other sites. There are 24 bottle styro shippers out there for 375's, and I don't think Etre uses them. At the end of the day all you really can do is play around and just add/remove a bottle at a time when you're near a limit...
  34. Interesting - my last order was 10 Cantillons and an 11.2oz Struise, and that got under the limit. I wonder if cork&cages are a bit heavier or something? (If that's what you got) Or maybe the Armands are heavier?
  35. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

That was my exact order last night and I was in at the 78 Euro mark for shipping. Actually the system messed up and charged me nothing for shipping initially but Robert emailed me today asking me to pay the 78 Euro's, which I gladly did. Was hoping I had found some super secret shipping deal.
  36. crosamich

crosamich Savant (260) Florida Nov 28, 2007

Canada is a completely different story though. I think MolsonCoors must have bought out the customs agency.
  37. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I forgot to mention that I have gotten mainly 3F (so cork and cages on everything). I checked the site and sure enough, 3F beers are heavier with even more weight on the Armand'4 bottles. Discrepancy solved.
  38. Jetfire

The shipping cost on the 6 bottlesof beer that I just ordered from Cascade Brewering was over $30, shipping beer just isn't cheap. Those should be here next Monday, I'd love the Etre order in the same time frame, but I'm not too worried about that as long as it shows up.
  39. Jetfire

My Etre order just arrived today and my Cascade order arrived yesterday. WOOOOHOOO! This was smooth as silk, a lot easier than hunting around town for the rare 6-12 bottles that show up in MN
    ShanePB likes this.
  40. Jetfire

Well peeps, my etre order was so well packed. I ended up placing another order today! Only issue in my order was One bottle of Rose De Gamb. was leaking through the cap and crok. It was a little off tasting compared to others that I've had, but still awesome! I dont blame Etre for that, just the nature of the beer.