1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pretty Things Barleywine - Our Finest Regards 2010

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ShogoKawada, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Has anyone opened a b1 (2010) Pretty Things Our Finest Regards lately? If so, how was it?

I have access to my cellar this weekend and want to know if I should grab one to drink now or let 'em keep going. I haven't had a b1 in about a year and a half and wanted to grab a status update.
  2. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I had one last week and it was very tasty. It still has plenty of time, so drink now or keep waiting.
  3. I would concur with the gentleman above me. Had a bottle the week of Sandy and enjoyed it very much.
  4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i thought it was exceptional in february 2012, big improvement on the 2~3 bottles i had fresh in 2010. OFR is a real winner regarding cellaring.
  5. 'm on the fence about this one but if I do break into my stash I'll post a mini vert. review comparison for y'all to check out.

Thanks, dudes.

Also, if anyone else has tried the oldies lately, let me know!
  6. clegolfski

clegolfski Savant (305) Ohio Jul 13, 2008

I had one in my hand to bring for turkey day. Passes and grabbed a geuzue. Tanks for the research.
  7. OK, I grabbed a 2010 and a 2011 to add to my 2012. I will do a mini vert tasting soonish and post pics/results.
    jedwards and Pahn like this.
  8. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

How are you gonna do a side by side by side when you only have two boots?
    ShogoKawada and axeman9182 like this.
  9. Looking forward to hearing about your vert. I am setting up the same vert with a couple of friend.
  10. Well, that throws a wrench in my plans.
    match1112 likes this.
  11. I had a big thing typed up but accidentally the whole thing. Drats.

a few of us got into it 10 11 12 style.

10: Bitter, jammy, lots of malty goodness, earthy a bit too. Prunes? Plums? Alcohol was mellow (for 14%)

11: Sweet, smooth, velvety, fruity awesomesauce. Clear winner. Much sweeter than the 10, no bitterness.

12: Same bitterness from the 10 is there. Hot, good out of the box, but both aged were better than fresh.

[​IMG]

Results: 11 is the winner. Does this beer peak and valley a few times? Did Dann nail it on the 11? I dunno. If you have an 11, drink it this winter for a delicious treat. If you have a 10, let it ride, the beer is fine and can go much longer methinks.

I'll revisit this thread in a year or so and do a 10 11 12 13 if I'm up for it.

Cheers, brosephs!
    jedwards likes this.
  12. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Not related, but I really enjoy reading your posts in the voice of Ron Swanson
    CowsandBeer and Patrick like this.
  13. Thanks for the info. I will be doing the same vert on Dec 22 really looking forward to it now.
  14. Patrick

I prefer DMX.
  15. Patrick

Your description of the 2011 made me crack one. Jammy is a good descriptor. Still has a very bready malt backbone, not unlike a jelly sandwich, I'm leaning towards calling it an apple/grape jelly.

This beer is fantastic. I'd love to try it out of some barrels, but it is great as is.
  16. How/where did you find the bottling date?
    I've got a bottle but freshbeeronly says it should be on the neck label, which mine doesn't have.
  17. Which one in the picture does it look like?
  18. smokeypeat

smokeypeat Savant (270) Maryland Jan 23, 2010

I actually just opened the 2011 this past weekend as well and was blown away. Much better than the fresh bottle of 12 I had. Definitely my favorite Pretty Things beer thus far, and one of the best non BA barleywines I've had overall.
  19. Same bottle as the one on the BA page, just nothing on the neck. It's not aged...I just bought it today. I'm just curious for future aging.
  20. If it has the black label over the cap 2010, blue over cap 2011, and if there is nothing over the cap 2012. If they do it again for 2013 it will be out around November.