1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pretty Things, Once Upon a Time 1879 East India Pale Ale

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by mschofield, Dec 23, 2012.

1. I'm getting a smoke note and I can't place it, has anyone else tasted smoke in this one?

It's not in the aroma, it's not even in every sip, it's not overpowering, just some sips I'm getting smoke. There was obviously no smoked malt in this, the year is wrong, and they only used pale.

I guess it's either just me, or maybe a yeast characteristic or maybe water chemicals?

2. ABinaco

ABinaco Zealot (90) Massachusetts Apr 9, 2009

Bottle or Draft?

3. It was a bottle.

Thinking maybe it was something hop related, I tried to find out what hops were grown in California in 1879, I couldn't find varities but did find this old California bureau of labor statistics report
    http://books.google.com/books?id=n-...EwAA#v=onepage&q=california hops 1879&f=false

around page 39 it gets to hops, funny how it's pointing to "the Washington Territory" eventually taking over, both with the new railroad opening up shipping to the East Coast, and the growers in the other states being stunned over the production per acre there

4. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

That's a pretty interesting report, but you'll have to clue me in here... Why do you want to know about hop varietals grown in the PNW to identify a flavor in an English IPA?

5. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

As you may already know, these Once Upon a Time beers by Pretty Things are supposed to be straight recreations (insofar as possible) of a particular brew based upon the brewer's log from one day of brewing.

The brew log for this beer indicates that it included hops grown in California.

As to the OP, I've had several bottles of this beer but I haven't detected any smoky favors.

6. could just be any combination of flavor compounds and reactions. in any case, just wanted to say again that i had this on cask at deep ellum a couple weeks ago, and it was AWESOME.

7. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Interesting, I was not aware of that.

8. ABinaco

ABinaco Zealot (90) Massachusetts Apr 9, 2009

I didn't get any smoke when I tried it on Draft, just pale malt deliciousness.

9. I was underwhelmed by this beer for the most part (had it from the bottle), but I have to say that it had one of the most impressive heads of foam I have ever seen. You could have eaten it with a spoon.