1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pricing and repeat purchasing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by otispdriftwood, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Short and sweet. If there's a new beer I want to try, I don't care how much it costs, I'll pay whatever it costs .... once [channeling Johnny Dangerously here]. If it's overpriced, and unless it's extraordinary, I won't buy it again but I will let someone who wants to buy me a present know. Unless of course, it's a rare or special occasion and I want to treat myself.
    For my everyday enjoyment, I tend to stick to reasonably priced beers, avoid bombers and generally avoid anything over the $13 6-pack or $10 4-pack. Anybody else out there want to share their purchasing habits?
    dennis3951, kuhndog, Kyrojack and 2 others like this.
  2. I do pretty much the same thing. if it's something I want to try I usually do regardless of cost. but for the most part I stick with sea hag at 8.99 a six pack. or something that's $10/ six or up to $9/ four pack
  3. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

I think that pretty much sums up my beer purchasing habits as well.
  4. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I hate how much Orval costs but like every 4 months or so I got to have 1 or 2.
  5. rollom

rollom Advocate (560) New York Jan 22, 2011

There are some notable exceptions (FBS, and more recently Dirt Wolf), but I generally buy singles and bombers. And if I like it, I'm happy to keep on buying it (IBB, Mexican Cake, Pannepot Reserva etc), even if they are a bit pricier. I tend to go for quality (subjective I know, but whatever I deem quality to be) over quantity. Everyone has a limit though - I'd draw the line on things like repeat purchases of Bruery anniversary beers
    blue_bleeder likes this.
  6. If I go until a store I'll generally walk out with a 6-pack (or 4-pack) and a bomber. I'll probably end up sharing/trading at least half the 6-pack with friends and save the bomber for a special occasion. I'm not as likely to take a chance on something over $12-13 for the pack or $10+ for the bomber and usually save those purchases for something I've been actively keeping my eyes open for.
  7. CJS262

CJS262 Zealot (80) Colorado Aug 26, 2013

I'm with you. As a one time purchase I will splurge on something expensive, but then probably wouldn't buy it again. I just dropped $12 on a Crooked Stave 375ml yesterday.
  8. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

There's a ton of variety among "cheaper" or at least "normal" craft beer choices and sometimes you can find some overlooked gems.
  9. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I seen some buery stuff in grassroots the other day but at 18 to 24 (could have been 27) a bomber I could not go for them. all sours I think,
  10. Each time that I've paid for something that was well overpriced the 'hurt' from the overprice cost was greater than the enjoyment from the beer (even though it was a good beer), so I have never bought a repeat of that beer. Maybe it's the tightwad in me that does that, but maybe the hype for the beer is greater than the extra cost is the real reason. :(
  11. I do the same. Almost all my purchase are 6 packs and 4 packs. I make exceptions for holidays and/or celebrations. If its something I've never tried I'll spend a little extra just to try it once.
  12. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

This is generally my practice too, except for the "everyday enjoyment" part. I just open whatever I feel like, whenever. I'll drink a couple $15 750s on a Tuesday evening if the mood strikes me.

Also, if I enjoy it the first time and think it's worth the price (even if high), I'll buy more while it's available or make a mental note to buy more next time it's released.

I rarely buy 6-packs of anything. Celebration, Lagunitas Sucks, and annual 4-packs of Bigfoot, Narwhal, etc. but I don't often just buy a 6-pack of year-round beer.

Come to think of it, what you said really isn't my practice at all.
    otispdriftwood and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  13. I'm more or less what you'd call a "price insensitive" consumer. There are times at which I'll limit the quantity I purchase, and therefore the total amount I spend, but I'll rarely choose not to buy a beer that I know I want to try because of the price tag.

Now, when it comes to repeat purchases, I'll only buy stuff that I really love. Things like Founders Breakfast Stout and Red's Rye come to mind. Or Boulevard Love Child.
    Scrapss likes this.
  14. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

It can just keep adding up. Especially if you drink a beer or two each day. I feel just like the OP here and try to buy what is economical for the majority of purchases and designate the more expensive stuff for beer I am trying for the first time.
  15. I don't have a set price line that I won't cross, but I will only regularly buy what I consider to be a 'good value'. Sometimes that will mean a $12 fourpack (GI Sofie) or $9 750ml bottle (Rodenbach Grand Cry)- though it is usually in the lower range.
  16. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Similar here too.
  17. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Price is never a factor for me. If it is an IPA, freshness is a factor, but in general if I want it , I buy it.
    dedbeer, woodchip and blue_bleeder like this.
  18. For me... what's the point of trying something once, if I know that it's too expensive to be a repeat purchase?

I stop seeing any chance for a repeat purchase with regular strength styles at $6 bomber, Imperial styles at $10 bomber, and Barrel or Sour beers at $25 bomber.

I mostly stick to six packs around $10 for normal drinking, but will occasionally splurge for some of my favorites up to the prices above.
    azorie likes this.
  19. I bought a case of Backwoods Bastard and a case of Brooklyn Chocolate Stout today.
    Saved a boatload over buying 4pks.
    Scrapss likes this.
  20. I paid $12 for a 12oz bottle of Avery's Uncle Jacob. I am not going to go out and buy cases of it but it was worth every penny....
  21. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

If a beer is at the $15/22oz and up level, it damn well better impress the hell out of me or I'm not buying it again. At $12/22, it's got to be damn good for a repeat buy. But, if those same beers were in a more reasonable format, I might buy them again, sooner. So, it's not the price, but the format that's more of a deciding factor for me.
  22. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

For the past 4 or 5 months, I have limited my purchases of any bottle over $10 to be once a month. Last year at this time, i thought that would be impossible to do. Now, it's really quite easy. Plenty of great beers available in my price range and allowing myself a sporadic exception means when a special beer does pop up on the shelves that I do have a healthy interest in, I can always buy it.

As for repeat purchases with bombers, only with my favorites. Stuff like Funkwerks offerings, recently Backcountry's Breakfast Stout, Big Bad Baptist will be bought more than once. 9 out of 10 times, though, a bomber purchase is a one and done.

As for sixers, I tend to stick with mixed sixers. Sixers I buy repeat of are all $9.99 or less and usually have Odell in the name. Would also have Yuengling or Cigar City in the name if they ever made it to my local shelves.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  23. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

4-packs of Backwoods bastard are $10.99 by me. What'd the case cost ya?
  24. A bit over $70, but bear in mind I live in PA.
    4pks would run me $15-18.
    Herky21 likes this.
  25. There are some beers I will buy repeatedly almost regardless of price. I am pretty sure I have purchased 13 Uncle Jacob's this year. (I like to have a few on hand for "emergencies") I have also gone through a few Very Angry Beasts. To balance it out I will buy local stuff or get growler fills. Currently my balance beer is Lucky 13. It's about $4.50 where I am at, and it has the best bang for it's buck. I don't know what I will go to when it is out of season. I will generally prefer bombers to 6 packs though. I can drink 1 and be content (or better in some cases).
  26. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (325) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

$14 12 pack of New Belgium ,Sierra or Sweetwater, $8 mini growler, $10 4 pack or bomber. That would be my average weekly purchase unless there are a bunch of really good new releases that week.
  27. My purchasing habits are generally influenced by how much money I feel I'm able to spend at any given time. If I have excess cash and I want to try something, I have no problem splurging, but if I'm strapped and want beer, I have no problem picking up a sixer or four pack of what's good and seasonal, or, if nothing in that realm strikes my fancy, I'll settle for Sierra Nevada/New Glarus/Great Lakes/Three Floyds/Founders mainstays.
  28. You're lucky. I could only find Backwoods 4 packs for 12.99 as the cheapest. I don't where everyone is finding these prices but in Philly everything is expensive comparatively..unless I'm just missing something:mad:
    Herky21 likes this.
  29. Where in PA did you find cases of this?
  30. I like to buy one (bomber, 6er, 4 pack) of whatever comes in to my store that I'm interested in. Not much of a plan, but it works okay, although I don't have a lot of normal suspects in my fridge.
  31. The case found me.
  32. I generally look at the brewery as a whole, certain breweries such as the Bruery and FFF, I don't buy anything from. Personally, I would love to see them have to lower prices due to low demand, or if they refused to go into bankruptcy and be bought out by someone who would realize that the prices are way too high. They want the same money as a bottle of decent port, they've lost their minds.
  33. I purchase singles so I can try everything. Repeat purchases are rare - Anchor Steam is the exception.
  34. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I buy what strikes me whenever it strikes me. I'm a bit price insensitive.

The only time I really pay much attention to price is when I'm out to dinner or something else. I know I'm paying a premium for the singular bottle at that point, plus the food but the food and wine etc of my date - I'll tend to drink more price conservatively there.

But if I'm buying for the house - get what I want, when I want - price be damned.
    blue_bleeder likes this.
  35. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

If I want it, I buy it.
    blue_bleeder likes this.
  36. fds

fds Aficionado (145) Nebraska Aug 17, 2013

Yeah, I felt sheepish buying a Hop Savant (only 9 bucks around here) the other day, but I really want to try it! The problem for me will be if I really like it and need to buy more!

I'm banking on my costs going down over time, because I will be buying less of these annual releases that I've bought to try this year. Some are obviously worth getting every year, but I've come to realize that others, while good, aren't anything worth breaking the bank on.
  37. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

13 a six pack? wtf are you buying? I cringe if I buy a six pack over 8 bucks let alone 9.
  38. I've never found super expensive stuff to be better than the good middle of the road stuff. All the best beer out there is in the $10 4 pack - $12 six pack range
    watermelon and Prh27 like this.
  39. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Find it? No need to find it. I do most of my case business with a retail distributor who will order such things for me if he doesn't normally stock it. He knows that if I order it I'll buy it when it comes in so he's more than happy to oblige.
  40. Depending on the brewery and the style I'll pay just about anything once. After that value is important.