1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Primary fermentation time

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DAllspaw, Sep 2, 2012.

1. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Savant (270) Indiana Nov 7, 2009

I am brewing my first batch from kit with pkgd yeast sprinkled over wort directly per instructions. Air lock was very busy for around 30 hours but has virtually stooped. There is clear evidence of krausen 3 inches up side of pail. Should I be concerned the activity has slowed so much? I plan to move to carbon for secondary but not sure when is best time to move.
  2. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (175) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

The only way to really check if fermentation is complete is by checking the SG. A good time to transfer to secondary is anytime after the beer is roughly 75% complete.
    bgjohnston likes this.
  3. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Savant (350) Connecticut Jan 14, 2009

Depending on fermentation temperature and OG, what you described is well within normal behavior. Your hydrometer will tell you definitively if it is done via readings on subsequent days.
  4. I usually leave beers up to 1.050-1.055 in primary for 10-14 days (sometimes less if it's really low gravity or if I need to turn it around faster). Bigger beers stay in for 3 weeks or so. A stable hydro reading is the true test. Let it go for a few more days, then take a reading. Then, wait another two or three, and take another. If your reading is stable after a few days and is in the ballpark of your anticipated FG, then transfer.
  5. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

If you had the beer at room temperature, which is likely for your first batch, that's not terribly unusual. Even using a swamp cooler, my last batch was pretty much fermented out in 3 days. I agree with JebediahScooter. Leave it alone for 10 days or so, then take gravity readings daily. Two to three straight days of constant gravity means it's time to bottle, rack, dry hop, etc.
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Nothing unusual here. It's fine. Also, unless you are dry hopping or adding fruit or something else to the secondary, consider skipping the secondary. You can just let attenuation finish in the primary (which you should do anyway), then bottle a few days later, after the yeast have had a chnace to clean up their byproducts.
  7. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Just reading through your OP, sprinkling yeast directly over the wort may be what the instructions say, but the way to get the most healthy yeast and the best fermentation is to rehydrate your yeast in clean warm water before pitching. Just put about 250 ml of boiled water in a sanitized bowl. When it is ~100F add your dry yeast. after about 10 mins your yeast should be hydrated. Stir and pitch.
  8. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Savant (270) Indiana Nov 7, 2009

Thanks guys. Will definitely move to rehydrating for next batch.