Prime Rib pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Dools9, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Any ideas on a good beer to pair with a prime rib meal?

2. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

[​IMG]
    Or any other high quality quad.

3. Prime rib IMO is a hearty but rather bland entree. I would focus more on the sides than on the meat. How would you like to complement these?

I do use horseradish as a garnish for prime rib and usually have rosemary potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc. accompany. All of these are good root vegetables that pair well with saisons, Scotch ales, dubbels, and/or not too hoppy brown ales.

4. You need to find a new place to eat prime rib sir. For pairing, I think Pepe Nero is freaking awesome with steak in general, but it could be brilliant with prime rib. Lots of prime ribs have a pepper based crust so the pairing there would be awesome. Also, Pepe Nero isn't insanely rich which I would appreciate. I think a quad would have good flavors but just intensify the heaviness of the dish. I like the other suggestions of BuckeyeOne though.

The other side of the equation is to go sour. The ones above are all complimenting flavors, but I tend to also really like contrasting flavors when you have a dish on the far side of a flavor profile spectrum (like this will be in richness). It really adds balance which is something every meal should strive to achieve. I would think about something with a pretty solid tartness to it... maybe Cuvee de Jacobins. Or even something like Petrus Pale would be really solid IMO.

5. There is a reason why prime rib is often crusted with pepper and horseradish is added to the side. Don't get me wrong, I love the flavor of prime rib. I'm not saying it's flavorless, just bland compared to many, many rich dishes discussed in this forum. Steak and other cuts of beef, while hearty, have fairly one-dimensional flavor profiles compared, not to other cuts of meat, but to savory concoctions served up by many chefs and home chefs.

And, I would agree that Petrus Pale goes well with beef.

6. Eh I guess we'll just have to disagree. I think maybe you are assuming the prime rib would simply be roasted then cut without much else done to it (like many places serve it). Thing is, you could easily jazz it up by creating a gastrique or an interesting pan sauce from the au jus to create more flavors. Alone it doesn't have tons of flavor dimensions, but most ingredients are only one piece of the puzzle.

I think most places leave it as is because alone it's incredibly rich and flavorful with only simple seasonings. To me it's like saying bone marrow is "bland" because it basically only provides richness.

I don't know... maybe I'm in the minority on this!

/threadjack over

7. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

Scotch ale would be a nice choice. A dubbel as well. Mmmm. Thinking about it makes me want to do a prime rib now.

8. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

All good options, try also a Flanders Oude Bruin.. or red.

9. Methinks you're doing it wrong... That being said, prime rib tends to be a touch more one-dimensional because it is roasted, so the flavor is consistent throughout, as opposed to a seared strip steak or filet mignon that you could do black and blue, where it has a nice char on the outside, cool, juicy center, and the whole range of flavor between the two.

But anyway, the best part of prime rib is the au jus. It's jam packed with seasoning and umami goodness. You could go a lot of different ways with that, but my suggestion would be a Belgian Dubbel or an English-style Brown Ale or Porter.

10. How about a Stone Smoked Porter?

11. That'd certainly do the job. In fact, I kind of want that now with my family's Christmas Prime Rib.... To the store I go!

12. Prime rib Christmas dinner today was paired with westmalle Dubbel. Perfect!

13. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I still like a glass of Pinto Noir with my Prime Rib.

Brew33 likes this.
  14. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (735) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I just did a NY Strip bone in roast on Christmas and it was awesome...got it for 4.99lb. Had to buy a big slab but froze about 7 pounds of it and cooked the other half. My question. What is tyour preference for a beef roast: a rib roast or a NY Strip bone in roast (Been awhile since I had a rib roast) ? BTW...I went with a Schells Smokestack as a pairing and it was perfect...

15. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Savant (470) Florida Nov 16, 2005

A Belgian if it is a Belgian no brand required, a Belgian.