1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Pronunciation Guide

Discussion in 'Site' started by pjs234, Jan 21, 2013.

1. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Vine-shta-fonnuh

you're welcome
  2. GOOS EYE LAND
    FOWN DURZ
    AL PINE
    OLD HICK OREE
    BELLZ
    HILL FARRM STEDDD

/am i doing this right?
    mythaeus, KWMiles, mh007 and 14 others like this.
  3. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Omme Gangnam Style!
  4. frambwahZZZZZ: there's an "e" after the "s", therefore it's NOT SILENT
    woosterbill likes this.
  5. You have to make sure to put on the French tab when you click for the audio, but this probably the best example so far. You got to know a little French to get it perfect.
  6. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

I agree.
    I call the historical figures Pliny with a short "I" and the beer Pliny with a long "I".
    Pliny the beer is a brand, so it should be pronounced however the brewer wants it pronounced in my opinion.
    I merely disagree with the pronunciation of the historical figure as "Ply-nee", as I have always heard it with a short "I" in an academic setting.
  7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

You avatar was destined for this post.
  8. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

I was told at the Copenhagen Beer Celebration by a source whose credibility I am unsure of that Nøgne ø is pronounced NOUHG-NUH OUH.

That probably doesn't make much sense spelled out, I can't think of any words with the sound of the "ø" in English. It really isn't a sound the English language uses, hard to explain through text.
  9. kuhndog

kuhndog Savant (295) New York Sep 6, 2011

I like the English pronunciation on Google translate. (Cant-till-on) I don't think it's quite right though o_O
  10. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

JxExM likes this.
  11. This video should help with the pronunciation. Sort of...

I think it would be closer to Nug-ne Ooh

Edit: Or what Zach said.
    BlackBelt5112203 and zach60614 like this.
  12. Thats a big 10/4 there Rubber Duckie

Gueze was pronounced as GERZE by Michael Jackson at the tasting I was at.
  13. This thread is confusing! this is the 5th pronounciation ive read about in the past week. Any Belgians on this site care to help us out?
    dianimal likes this.
  14. and Ommegang is definately a short a not a long a.
    this belgian video pronounces it. I think im going to trust a Beligian before anyone else.
    dianimal likes this.
  15. Please help! De Struise makes one called Tsjeeses.
  16. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

I'll add Maudite to the list. I've asked for it pronounced correctly and been stared at by people with a confused look.
  17. this video is the only trust worthy source for the pronunciation of weihenstepan.
    A German working for them clearly knows the way.
    dianimal likes this.
  18. a brewer working for cantillon pronouncing the word. Clearly correct.
    dianimal and JxExM like this.
  19. looks like geuze might have two pronunciations. It also looks like lambic has two pronunciations
    dianimal likes this.
  20. Chernigivske?
    Also is it actually supposed to be WHO GAR DEN like the packaging says? Either way Im gonna say HOE gar den.
  21. lol. my least favorite wittbier ever. so go ahead!
  22. That's Jean Van Roy, owner of Cantillon. and yes, correct :)

23. being a brit from yorkshire, jackson would be a speaker of non-rhotic english, which does not have a hard "r" sound after vowels.

there are basically two pronunciations. in french (such as that spoken in brussels, where cantillon is located) it is a one-syllable word sort of like "goohz". in flemish (where most other lambics are made), it is a two-syllable word, sort of like "GUH-zuh". i say "sort of" because transcribing into english can only give approximations.
  24. "a lot"? my guess is about 1% of the population is trained in linguistics. :p
  25. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

I used to think it read "SUCUBA" like a Sucubus demon. Then I saw it was "Sucaba" and was disappointed ha.
  26. It is not. Cantillon is French name, which is why you need to put it on the French tab. :D
  27. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

haha, actually I thought he was pronouncing GOSE, top-fermented beer style of Leipzig, Germany. I'm on board with your Gueuze pronunciation.
  28. as i noted in another post about this, keep in mind that jackson is a british speaker of non-rhotic english, so the "r" is not rounded when following a vowel.
  29. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

MAW-DEET is how I say it and how I've heard others say it.
  30. I just say Abacus;)
    dianimal likes this.
  31. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

This is as close of an example I can provide without dragging my French Canadian coworker in to record it. He always corrects my pronunciations of Unibroue beers when I talk to him. MAUDITE
  32. What's wrong with just pointing at the beer list? It always works for Italian restaurant menus where, heaven forbid, I don't want to make a mistake or at Chinese restaurant menus where a mispronounciation could get you the entirely wrong food. Anyway, chances are the person who you say it to, even if you are using the correct pronunciation, may not know what you are talking about since they can't pronounce it themselves.
    pjs234 and WassailWilly like this.
  33. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Uinta ? Heading to UT this week.
  34. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Never mind...Answered it myself, with help from the Uinta website:

"Uinta is a word derived from the Ute Indians, who once inhabited the area. It is pronounced "you-in-tah." Uinta Brewing Company was named after the Uinta mountain range located in northeastern Utah, the only major range facing East-West in the continental U.S."
    mythaeus, dianimal and Hanzo like this.
  35. Tsjeeses
  36. Maudite

it means 'cursed' in French
  37. I try to keep in mind an old movie quote from Scent of a Woman: "I want wall to wall John Daniels" Don't you mean JACK Daniels? "He may be Jack to you, son, but when You've known him as long as I have..." LOL
  38. And then, of course, there's this...
    dianimal and BrettD like this.
  39. y-en-steffan according to some good ads of theirs I've come across. The bar I worked at in Australia was a lovely showcase of mispronounciations.

40. Tsjeeses is a drunk person sluring the word Jesus.
    No seriously.. rhymes with "cheeses".
    mythaeus likes this.