1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Pronunciation Guide

Discussion in 'Site' started by pjs234, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Sorry to say, but you had really terrible Latin teachers. There's simply no way that the first i in Plinius can be pronounced like an English long i sound, simply because the latter sound is a diphthong, and Latin speakers never represented diphthongs with a single vowel. Even in English that sound could never be achieved with a single letter until after the Great Vowel Shift in the 15th century: when Chaucer wrote "I" in the 14th century, he rhymed it with the modern English "tree."

In classical Latin the first syllable of Pliny, as (mis)pronounced by Vinny Cilurzo and those who chose to emulate him, would have been spelled Plae, not Pli. One could reasonably dispute whether the first i should be pronounced as a short or a long vowel, i.e. "ih" vs. "ee", but it can never become a diphthong.

So, to sum up: there's no controversy over how to pronounce the Anglicized name of the historical figure - it's with short i as in, well, "in." The only reason to pronounce the beer differently is the fact that its brewer was ignorant as to the accepted pronunciation of the historical figure after whom he named the beer. Personally, I don't feel that Vinnie's ignorance should take precedence over centuries of accepted pronunciation, and that if he wants to capitalize on an existing name he should be humble enough to admit his mistake and pronounce the name correctly. If he had genuinely made up the name, then he would have the right to dictate its pronunciation; he chose to name his beer after a preexisting figure, however, and thereby gave up his right to decide how it should sound since his creation came after the creation of the name.

So much for my subjective assessment of the matter; of far greater importance is the fact that this dispute doesn't matter in the least, and anyone who gets upset about it on either side is a pedantic asshole. You say Ply-nee, I'll say Plih-nee, and if you have the decency not to "correct" me I'll have the decency to do the same.

Either way it's delicious! Cheers!

mythaeus, Etan, zach60614 and 2 others like this.
  2. "I'll name it what I want to name it, nerd."
    --Vinnie Cilurzo

haha, he told you!

mythaeus and JxExM like this.
  3. I was once in Brewdog Bar London and some Italian guys were ordering "Punk EE-PA".

4. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

vy-hen-ste-fan-air
    :) I think that's correct. hardly fluent in german, but honestly, I should be.

tectactoe likes this.
  5. "Guimm-mi uh burr naohw gurd damm et. " Proper way to demand satisfaction in Pittsburgh, or anywhere else for that matter.

thecheapies likes this.
  6. Ive been pronouncing Uinta wrong for a while without even realizing it.

How about this one Maredsous: Mare-D-Soo?

7. Not sure if this is true, but one explanation I heard was that Vinnie chose to call Pliny with long "i" so that it rhymes with piney.

9. Definitely WHO, not HOE. The oe spelling in Flemish represents an oo sound like in room. I know this because I got rather angrily corrected by a bartender in Leuven when I tried to order an Oerbier and pronounced the first syllable like the oar in a boat.

10. I hate splitting hairs but I have a feeling it might be different words. The beer style that everyone has trouble pronouncing is spelled "gueuze", not "geuze". Thus, it's said as multiple people have already said.

For some more help (and help with others): http://www.forvo.com/word/gueuze/

11. Nope. Gueuze and Geuze are both acceptable spellings. Try a Google Image search for each spelling and see all the labels that pop up.

Etan likes this.
  12. What I love about that link is that when I watch it on youtube (rather than embedded), there are 20 related videos, 19 of which are about beer, but #2 of which is titled "The Wire - Stringer Wants Clay Davis Dead".

Even Slim Charles knew that was a bad idea.

exitmusic00 likes this.
  13. I am so totally going to just call it Naked Island from now on.

bradcochran1234 and Tballz420 like this.
  14. I will continue to call it 'Ho'-garden' because, well, I like the imagery.

woosterbill likes this.
  15. Anthony1

Anthony1 Savant (345) Colorado May 3, 2009

omg, so glad this was posted, late night tired = happy someone reads my mind

16. I've never been sure how to pronounce Yeungling, I would say Young-Ling, but that might be totally wrong for all I know.

17. I've always said it YING-LING. I learned how to say it from people who have lived in PA their entire lives, so I hope that they would know how to say it.

dianimal likes this.
  18. yes
    YING-LING
    LIN-KISS-TER (though everyone outside of PA says Lan-caster, including me)
    CEILINGS GROVE

klinger likes this.

19. WEST-FLIT-ER-EN

Thats how people in the know say it. i.e. Vinnie from Russian River etc

Cantilion:
    CANT-EE-YOWN.
    That's how the owners/brewmaster says it himself.

20. FUG-ILLS

21. This is incorrect. One of the simplest ones out there:

DEH DOLL - it's not said exactly like the American pronunciation of "doll" because the "o" sound is slightly different in French, but it's close. This word is one syllable, not two.

22. It's actually more like: MOE-DEET

23. One of the most commonly mispronounced words is Cuir. It should be pronounced as:

QUEER - I kid you not, it's the French word for leather

24. dedolle is in esen, which is a flemish-speaking region of flanders, and would probably pronounce it with three syllables. i think that's the thing with many of these belgian names - there will be two ways to say it, both correct.

25. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Considering the fact that Yuengling is the anglicized form of Jüngling the correct German pronounciation would require the German sound for ü (same as the sound for y in Swedish, with yngling being the Swedish form of jüngling) which an English speaker might have trouble with. Yueng is a chinese name (spelled with the latin alphabet) and the vowel combination Yue does not exist in the English language apart from the Yuengling family name as far as I know. But for an anglicized name I'd think the yingling pronounciation makes sense.

26. Ah crap, you are correct, sort of at least. There is no Flemish language, people in Flanders speak Dutch. I have no idea how you pronounce De Dolle in Dutch, I was thinking it was a French name.

27. "yeung" is ("e" before "u") is the far more common spelling of the cantonese pronunciation, which in mandarin is now usually spelled "yang" (which itself is pronounced more like "young" or "yahng" - there's no american "twang" in the "a").

Crusader likes this.
  28. Dieu Du Ciel- DEW-DUH-SEAL?

29. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

30. Locals pronounce Yeungling as LAW-GER.

imbrue001 likes this.
  31. Hrmm, how to do this one phonetically . . .

DYUH DOO SYELL

32. So true.
    I went to a PA wedding recently. When I inquired about the selection, the woman behind the bar says, "Miller Lite or LAWGER?" So I get a lawger. Later, I go up to get another and I spot the eagle logo on the tap. I say, "Ill have a yuengling" and she gets this who-just-farted? disturbed look on her face, haha.

CurtFromHershey and pjs234 like this.
  33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Say it with me now... GOO ZAH.

*GOO ZAH*

You don't wanna know how many different ways I've heard this said to me.

34. Eh, that's not a bad Americanized compromise, but the disyllabic pronunciation (i.e., the Flemish one) doesn't typically have a hard g like in the English word goo. It's more of a guttural, aspirated gh sound, like you're clearing your throat - but softer than that.

If you don't want to mess with the difficult initial consonant sound, then you're verging more into the monosyllabic territory of the French pronunciation, in which case I think it's fine for an English speaker to dispense with all pretense of accurate vowel production and, in barbaric resignation, just say Gooze.

GOO ZAH is a strange hybridization that simultaneously uses the French consonant and Flemish second syllable, and is therefore just as incorrect as GOOZE but WAY more pretentious.

35. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

BLOO - BOO - REEZ

Okay, got it!

36. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Close. its more like vy-en-shtep-anah

The first "h" is kinda dropped: vy-en.

The "s" is subtley pronounced with a "sh" sound. They use "f" for "ffff" sounds, so the "ph": shtep

"er" is never pronouced "errr" it is pronounced "ah," you kinda swallow the "r". Pronouncing it "err" is a dead giveaway that you're from America ;)

So yah, weihenstephaner: vy-en-shtep-anah

loafinaround likes this.
  37. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

"I'll have the hefe, please."

domtronzero likes this.
  38. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

yeah, always a soft r. forgot to say that.

dead give away for being american is also pronouncing liverwurst with a "w", instead of a "v".

domtronzero likes this.
  39. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I took German in high school (forgot almost everything I learned except for pronunciation). I got some strange looks from my German teacher when I asked how to pronounce Weihenstephaner, Franziskaner and a couple other beer names :D

loafinaround likes this.