1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pronunciation of Sucaba?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by heatwaves, Feb 28, 2013.

1. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

I always thought it was pronounced "Suc-ka-baa", similar to succabus. But I recently heard two people pronounce it "Sue-caw-baa". What's correct?
  2. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

3. AndrewK

AndrewK Savant (345) California Oct 20, 2006

Close, but much like Prince in the 90s, I think the correct pronunciation is "the beer formerly known as abacus."
  4. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

The latter
  5. "suc-ka-ba" or "sucka-ba". According to Rick (Slick Rick) the FW sales rep in bay area. Thats how he pronounced it at the David Walker bottle signing event at Healthy Spirits last year Feb 14. David Walker didn't correct Rick so I guess David approved that pronunciation.

BUt I guess you can just pronounce it whichever way you want- "suckaba" or "sue-kaba" since David Walker is cooler than being cool- ice cold.
  6. I think any beer that uses some odd character like this, § , in its name allows it to be called whatever you want to call it.

Damn tasty beer, but such a screwy name.
  7. Explanation of the name change from notyourdadsbeer.com (apparently no longer exists), 2011-07-23:
    StarRaptor and FUNKPhD like this.
  8. Don't give in to the man - call it Abacus.
    kaseydad, Zhiguli, litheum94 and 2 others like this.
  9. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I pronounce this beer to be one of FW's best!
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I've always said sue-kaa-baa.
  11. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (190) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

I like 'Sucuba' the best. Every time I see it in a thread, I chuckle. Same goes for 'Beautification'.

I like to get fancy and say Sue-ká-ba with an accent. Lets the beer guy know i'm serious :cool:.
    j47paco and Hopsiam14 like this.
  12. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

I still just call it Abacus. People will know what you are talking about
  13. Oh you say Sue-kay-buh, and I say Sue-kah-buh...
  14. See, before I learned about the Abacus/Sucaba thing last year I always though FW was trying out a new way to spell "succubus". Oops.
  15. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (260) California Sep 10, 2011

It's pronounced correctly here.

16. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I'm with you. I refuse to call it by its new name. It's my silly way of protesting.
  17. Just realized Sucaba is Abacus backwards.............:eek:
    Zhiguli and mrcraft like this.
  18. Mind.Is.Blown.
    Arbitrator likes this.
  19. If it's Abacus backwards, then shouldn't you pronounce the same syllables the same way just in the reverse order?
  20. grrrah

grrrah Savant (310) California Sep 21, 2009

I'm not sure what that first letter is, so I'll go with:

Sphrxcroo Ka Bah
  21. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

What are your thoughts on turtles?
    AnotherImperial likes this.
  22. Personally, I like turtles.
    stlunatic15 and luwak like this.
  23. They make great soup. And they make one hell of a coffee stout.
    AnotherImperial likes this.
  24. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

I always pronounce it "Firestone Walker barleywine," because I feel silly saying "suh-cuh-bus" or however you're supposed to say it.
  25. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

Ultimately, I think this name change sucks. And the pronunciation sucks ... or "suh kx".

I hope other beers don't do this. As sought after as it is, I don't think I could ever pronounce "rebealB."
  26. At the FW tasting room they still call it Abacus. I asked them how to pronounce it and the guy said they still refer to it as Abacus. However, I do like calling it "the beer formerly known as Abacus".
  27. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

I have now confused 2 BevMo dudes by calling it Abacus while pointing to their cases. Fuck it, I don't speak backwards with paragraph symbol
  28. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Walker called it "SUCK A BAH" when we discussed it at one of the FW events here in AZ last year. With his slightly British accented articulation, the stress was on the first syllable and the last syllable was partailly swallowed.

But it is basically a nonce word (or, see below, it may not be if it remains the name of the beer, and then would be basically then just be a pseudoword) and as such the pronunciation is determined by the initial utterance and the subsequent promulgation of the idea, or in this case, object, associated therewith along with the concomitant original pronunciation; however, as convenience dictates the evolution of the pronunciation of a word to a far greater degree than appeal to any authority, it may well be that whatever people find easier becomes the de facto pronunciation despite the creators' original intentions.

When i discussed the beer with Walker, I playfully recommended to him that he just keep permuting the letters in the name so it had a different name every year (since at that point we had only Abacus and Sucaba) He said he liked the idea.

So i was disappointed not to be buying USBAAC or CABASU or something this year....But playfulness doesn't really fit the FW image.
  29. Are you a turtle ?
    If anyone ever asks you that question at a VFW party the proper is answer is
    YOU BET YOUR SWEET ASS I AM !!!
  30. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

I asked Matt last year during beer week how the heck to pronounce it and he said

"Abacus"
  31. Thats funny because about a month ago at the Alaska Beer and Barleywine fest, the Firestone booth had it on tap and I asked the girl for some Abacus and she looked at me like I had a dick for a nose.
    KevSal likes this.
  32. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

may not have been a firestone rep? thats how most festivals are... especially in alaska. most breweries cant afford to go to GABF sometimes let alone travel to different festivals
  33. yeah you're right I think the only reps were from alaska breweries and the rest were volunteers. I guess everyone can't be as geeky as me about beer.